Security is a key point when choosing an operating system. Android is well protected but problems still happen. According to research, 30% of all Android devices are at risk of more than 20 critical vulnerabilities.
In addition, there are other risks such as malicious applications, network hackers, phishing attacks, and so on.
This means that your entire digital life (accounts and banking details, applications and data, personal contacts, and other confidential information) is in constant danger.
Therefore, it is very important to ensure Android device security. VPN for Android will greatly help with this because the technology hides your own IP address and allows remaining anonymous on the network.
Practice shows that VeePN is used by many Android device owners today. Please read this article in detail about its capabilities, as well as learn about other good ways to secure Android devices.
Android Security Challenges: Everything You Need to Know
In 2021, the number of detected Android security risks decreased compared to the previous year. In particular, for the whole of 2020, 611 vulnerabilities were discovered, while in 2021 information was published about only 86 vulnerabilities in the security system of Android mobile devices.
68% of the detected vulnerabilities were critical, and 29% of them could be used to download malicious code. The vulnerability, which allowed attackers to play videos on a user’s smartphone, attracted the special attention of researchers.
It is worth noting that 90% of Android devices have an outdated version of the operating system installed (older than Android Pie). Vulnerabilities in previous versions can be used by attackers to gain access to gadgets and infect them with malicious code.
A positive trend in the first 6 months of 2021 was a decrease in the number of identified threat samples compared to the same period last year. On average, 240 new types of threats appeared every month. Whereas in 2020, this indicator reached almost 300.
In 2021, threats to cryptocurrency mining on the user’s device showed a high level of spread. An example of such a malicious program is Coinminer. Detection of this threat on smartphones and tablets increased by 72% compared to the same period in 2020.
However, since the beginning of 2021, the number of detected threat samples for hidden cryptocurrency mining has decreased by 78%. Despite this, the cryptocurrency market remains an attractive target for attackers.
Extortion threats are also popular among cybercriminals. In particular, they often use smartphone spyware to steal banking data. Not so long ago, samples of the Cerberus threat appeared on social networks, which displayed a fake form on the user’s screen for stealing bank data.
In addition, ransomware has continued to improve. In particular, Filecoder.C ransomware was detected. It uses encryption and spreads via SMS messages among the user’s contacts. This threat is impressive with the complexity of its malicious code compared to other malware families, for example, such as DoubleLocker.
Helpful Android Security Tips for Users: VPN for Android
Here is a list of valuable tips on privacy settings that everyone who wants to protect an Android device should pay attention to we discussing VPN for Android:
- Update your operating system and applications regularly. The update itself will fix vulnerabilities in the software and reduce the risks of malware infection;
- Use strong passwords to prevent unauthorized access to the device. It is important to create a unique complex combination for logging into each account;
- Use VPN on Android. By choosing a reliable VPN service, such as VeePN, you should not worry that someone will be able to access your data or track your online activity. All traffic is encrypted, so you remain anonymous. In addition, you can setup a VPN on Android and enjoy access to any content you need (for example, streaming platforms);
- Avoid connecting to public Internet networks, which are less secure and often spread various threats;
- Download applications from proven and well-known websites and also pay attention to reviews about them, especially negative ones. In addition, it is not recommended to download unknown software or an application with a small number of installations, since such an application may still have certain errors or malicious code;
- Don’t follow random links or click on pop-ups. This is one of the most common ways attackers spread malware;
- Use two-factor authentication to improve your phone’s security by protecting your banking app accounts. This is important because by gaining access to the online banking application, attackers will be able to manage your bank card and the funds on it;
- Use a reliable antivirus program to keep your phone safe and protect against various threats, including phishing attacks aimed at stealing passwords, bank card details, login information, etc.;
- Avoid sharing sensitive information via email and social media.
Use one or all of the above tips on privacy settings and make your Android device secure. Whatever security methods you choose, don’t forget to use VPN on Android.
A good VPN service will provide maximum protection for your personal data and your device as a whole. Setup VPN on Android already today and enjoy all its benefits (ensuring confidentiality, anonymity on the Internet, unblocking content, etc.).
About the author: Alana Bay is a passionate blogger and content writer. She tries to keep up with advancing technologies. So Alana prefers to use VeePN to secure her internet surfing and protect her writings from scammers. She is eager to establish a good relationship with other Internet users to share her knowledge with them.