What is search marquis on Chrome and Safari browsers on Mac computers and why am I getting search marquis popping up every now and then on my macOS PC?
First, you need to know what search marquis is a browser hijacker program to take over your Mac browser is not removed.
So, as regards why you are getting search marquis; you are getting search marquis because the browser hijacker is trying to hijack your browser and steal all your data on it.
So, the moment search marquis pop up on your system… You should remove it as soon as possible.
How do you get rid of the search marquis in your Chrome and Safari browser?
Keep reading this guide… We will discuss explicitly the steps to take to get rid of search marquis in Chrome.
What is Search Marquis?
Simply put… Search marquis is a browser hijacker. The search marquis was formerly known as search baron to hijack users’ browser information.
To know that the search marquis hijacker has taken over your browser you will see that your homepage has been set to bing.com without your permission and without setting it manually.
When this happens you will experience redirection from all your searches to the Bing search engine instead of your predefined search source.
How does Search Marquis Run?
Surprisingly, the search marquis run as a browser extension on the affected device.
However, there is a difference between how the search marquis extension is installed and how a normal extension is installed.
The search marquis extension is installed automatically by a malware program on your computer desktop while a normal extension is installed via the extensions store or via your USB or imported the extension from your device via the developer mode.
Because the search marquis is not in extension it makes it hard to remove.
Although, the search Baron is an extension, but you cannot find it in your browser extensions.
Therefore, to find the search marquis extension on your computer you need to make use of an antivirus.
Meanwhile, some antivirus won’t work no matter how hard you try.
Why am I Getting Search Marquis?
You are getting search marquis because your Mac computer has been infected by a virus or browser hijacker called search marquis, formerly known as search baron that redirects your searches to Bing.com.
Now that you have the answer to “why am I getting search marquis” we can deliberate on how to remove the search marquis browser hijacker from your Chrome.
How to Remove Search Marquis
You need to remove search marquis from your browser. If you failed to get rid of the browser hijacker it can steal and share your data with 3rd-parties without your permission.
This can include but is not limited to your credit cards or stored passwords on the affected browser.
Scan your Mac PC with a Virus
You need to identify the software or malware program that installed the search marquis on your Mac computer.
Once you identify it you can then delete it from your device. Once the malware is removed the search marquis extension will be removed automatically from your device.
Meanwhile; if the search marquis is a mere virus it should be detected with your antivirus. But since it attacks your browser you’ll need a special program to remove it.
The only recommended virus software to get rid of search marquis in Chrome on your Mac computer is “Intego.”
What is Intego antivirus?
Intego antivirus is a dedicated antivirus for Mac only. That is why re commend Intego antivirus to remove unwanted search engines from your Chrome and Safari browser
Note: You can try Intego for free using the free trial just that some of the features will be limited to premium account.
To get rid of search marquis on Safari or Chrome using Intego just follow the steps below.
- Download and install the Intego antivirus on your Mac computer.
- You need to start a free trial. The free trial is 30 days so you have enough time to remove the unwanted search engine redirect from your Safari browser.
- Run a full scan using the anti-virus. This may take a couple of minutes. Wait until the scan is completed.
- If the search marquis extension or the malware that installed the browser hijacker is detected you can easily remove it.
The Intego antivirus will remove the malware from your computer and unhide the search marquis extension on your browser.
This means that the search marquis extension that was missing on your Chrome extension or Safari extension will be unhidden.
Now, you can go ahead to the browser to remove the unwanted search engine from your browser that was installed by the malware.
How to Get Rid of Unwanted Search Engines from Safari
After using Intego to remove or get rid of the search marquis malware from your computer desktop. You should consider removing the extension from your Safari browser.
Follow the steps below to get rid of the search marquis from your Mac Safari browser.
- Launch the Safari.
- Click on the “Preferences” tab from the drop-down Safari menu at the top left of your browser window.
- Click on the “Extensions” tab.
- Uncheck every extension that you’re not 100% sure is safe by clicking on the check mark on the left side of the screen to deactivate them.
- We advise you to remove any Adobe Flash extensions on your computer.
- Click on the “Uninstall” icon on all the extensions you deactivated above that you cannot verify their sources.
- Navigate to the “Preferences” menu, and select the “General” tab.
- In the Homepage field, set your preferred homepage.
To confirm whether you have removed the search marquis and set your preferred homepage, attempt to use the search engine and see if you are no longer redirected.
How to Get Rid of Search Marquis on Chrome
You first need to remove the search marquis malware from your computer using anti-virus. We recommend Intego! It works better for most of the malware you cannot easily identify.
Once the malware has been removed… You can get rid of the marquis search extension on your Chrome by following the steps below.
- Launch your Chrome browser.
- Click on “Extensions” on the browser’s navigation
- Select “Manage Extensions” from the drop menu.
- Find and remove the “Adobe Flash” if installed. Also, disable all other extensions that you cannot identify.
- Uninstall the disabled extensions by clicking on the uninstall button.
- Now, you need to set up a new homepage for your preferred search engine.
- Follow the steps in this article to set Google as the homepage on your Chrome browser.
With this, you should be able to remove search marquis from your Chrome browser.
How to Prevent Search Marquis in Future
You shouldn’t let the search marquis unwanted search engine attack your browser and hijack all your confidential information any longer.
To protect your Chrome and Safari Mac browser from further attack by malware or trojan; exercise the following.
Update your macOS Regularly
Yes, you should update your macOS regularly to stay ahead of all malware attacks. This will save you time and money by removing malware from your computer.
- Go to System Preferences
- Select Software Update
- Find the macOS Catalina upgrade.
- Click Upgrade Now and follow the onscreen instructions to begin your upgrade.
Don’t Install Software from 3rd-Parties
Cheap things don’t last and it doesn’t worth it in the long run. Stop downloading software from a source you cannot trust. Some free websites sharing free software downloads couldn’t scan most of the software to ensure they are free of viruses or related scripts that can inject or install malware on your Mac computer.
Windows users may not install a 3rd party antivirus because of the Microsoft built-in Windows Defender. Since the Apple antivirus cannot protect your Mac against all types of viruses it’s advisable to use antivirus protection such as Intego.
Intego is reliable and can identify any form of harmful script on your Mac computer.
So far, we have talked down on “why am I getting search marquis” and all the necessary steps to take to remove both the malware and extension on your Chrome and Safari respectively.