Airplay is a built-in feature that comes with apple (iPhone, iPad, and Mac) devices. The airplay feature allows you to stream or share content (such as videos, photos, presentations, etc.) from your apple devices to your apple tv, mac, or any other airplay compatible devices. You can easily apply changes such as playing, pausing, fast-forwarding, rewinding, and adjusting the volume on your TV.
You may be curious to find out more about why is airplay not working on your device. The reasons why airplay is not working on your device may include compatibility issues, issues with WIFI connection, and using outdated firmware.
Here in this article we would be briefly discussing why is airplay not working on your device.
Why Is Airplay Not Working
To expatiate on why is airplay not working on your devices, you should check the following that are discussed here below:
The most common mistake people always make when they are trying to airplay on their device is failing to check if your device is compatible with airplay. Not all TV manufacturers integrate this feature into their TV.
Recommended: How to Resolve Airplay not Working on Samsung TV
Although airplay is growing and some TV manufacturers have started to integrate airplay into their smart TV. You should check for the airplay symbol whenever you want to purchase a new TV. If you already bought your TV, you can check your owner manual to see if your device is airplay compatible.
Update Your Apple Device
If you are experiencing airplay issues on your apple device or smart TV. Ensure you update your apple device to the latest software version. Also, ensure you update your smart TV to avoid software glitches and bugs from preventing airplay connection.
Check Wi-Fi Network
Always ensure you connect your apple device and apple TV or smart TV to the same Wi-Fi network. Also, make sure your Wi-Fi network is turned on and your devices are connected to it. Although you don’t need an internet connection to be able to airplay on your TV. But in case you want to live stream videos or movies with your streaming app like Netflix, YouTube, Apple TV, HBO max, etc. you do need an internet connection for that.
If you are connecting over a router or modem. you should follow these troubleshooting steps:
- Restart your Modem/Router. If airplay is not connecting to Wi-Fi is a temporary Problem you should restart your device.
- Power cycle modem/router. A power cycle gives your network a boost and it gives your device a fresh start on issues that were previously bogging it down. To perform a power cycle: Unplug your modem then wait for at least 30 seconds, before you plug it back in.
- Update your router/modem firmware. You should check with your internet service provider to ensure your router firmware is up to date.
Check your Bluetooth Connection
To airplay with your apple device on your smart TV make sure you enable your Bluetooth connection.
Check For Firewall Restrictions
If there is a firewall restriction, your device won’t have access from the source device to your apple TV. Make sure you disable firewall restrictions that may prevent your apple TV or Mac from connecting with your apple device when trying to airplay. If you would still like the firewall to be turned on you can filter its settings by specifying additional security settings.
Recommended: How to Fix Airplay Not Working on Samsung TV
Restart Your Smart TV
If you are experiencing airplay not working issues on your TV, then you should restart your TV device. Restarting your device should help you to solve temporary connection problems.
- Switch off your TV device and remove the power cord.
- Wait for a few minutes.
- Plug back in the power cord and switch on your TV device.
Restart Your Apple Device
Ensure you restart your apple (iPhone, iPad and iPod) device if you are faced with airplay not working. Power off your device, then power it back on as this often helps to fix connectivity issues.
Check Airplay Settings
If you are prompted to enter a password, you may have to turn on restrictions. Apple TV allows you to configurations to restrict certain types of content, so they can only be accessed by an authorized user. This process is also known as parental control.
You may need to adjust your Airplay password settings or turn off restrictions/parental control.
You can decide to temporarily remove restrictions or add them back. Follow these steps to remove restrictions:
- Open Settings on Apple TV.
- Navigate to General > Restrictions, then select Restrictions.
- Enter the passcode, then set Restrictions to Off.
Airplay Settings iPhone
Airplay allows you to stream or share content such as videos, photos, and audio from your apple device to airplay compatible devices. It also allows you to mirror what is on your apple device screen to other airplay-compatible devices.
Since we already found out why is airplay not working on your device? You must ensure you follow the correct process when you airplay from your device.
Follow these steps to airplay from your apple ( iPhone, iPad, or iPod) device to your smart TV:
- First, connect your apple device to the same Wi-Fi network as your smart TV.
- Look for the video that you would like to stream.
- Now tap airplay. Although this will depend on the app as you may need to first click Share, before clicking airplay.
- Then select your Apple TV or Airplay-compatible smart TV.
Note: Not all video apps support Airplay and if you can’t use Airplay with a video app. Check the App store on your Apple TV to see if that app is available.
Follow these steps to mirror from your apple ( iPhone, iPad, or iPod) device to your smart TV or Mac:
- First, connect your apple device to the same Wi-Fi network as your smart TV or Mac.
- Open Control Center:
If you have an iPhone X or later/ iPad with iPadOS 13 or later: Swipe down from the upper-right corner of the screen.
If you have iPhone 8 or earlier/ iOS 11 or earlier: Swipe up from the bottom edge of the screen.
- Click Screen Mirroring.
- Click on your smart TV, Apple TV or Mac device from the list.
- If you are prompted to enter a passcode on your apple device, it will appear on your TV screen or Mac screen.
Why Isn’t My Airplay Working On My Smart TV
If you want to know why is airplay not working on your device. Firstly make sure the type of smart TV you have is compatible with airplay. Then ensure that your airplay-compatible smart TV device is turned on and near to your apple device. Ensure your device is running on the latest software version and is connected over the same WIFI.
Also, ensure your restart your apple device and smart TV that you would like to use with airplay or screen mirroring. Lastly, make sure you don’t have restrictions turned on, s it would prompt you to enter a passcode.
Why Did Apple Airplay Stop Working
WIFI connectivity issue is the main reason airplay may stop working on your device. Ensure, your airplay-compatible devices stay on and are nearer to each other. Make sure your devices are updated to the latest software and are also connected to the same Wi-Fi network. Restart both your apple phone and TV that you want to use with airplay or screen mirroring.
How Do I Get Airplay To Work On My TV
Well, that depends on your type of TV and model, as every manufacturer has different designs. First for airplay to work on your TV device, it has to be airplay compatible.
- Turn on airplay
- Navigate with your remote control and click the airplay icon to turn on airplay.
- Connect your TV device to the same WIFI network as your apple device.
- Go to your iPhone, swipe up and press the airplay icon and select your TV.
- You will be asked for an authentication code which will appear on your TV.
- Input this code on your mobile device to make your content appear on your TV.
In conclusion on why is airplay not working, you may want to airplay for various reasons. Which may include gaming purposes, watching or streaming videos, and playing music. If you want to play video games on your mac or iPod touch and would like it to appear on a bigger screen, then you may want to consider airplay mirroring.