Roku is a brand of HDMI-based media player that allows you to stream content to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Disney+, HBO Max, and other common streaming platforms. This article will be showing you how to connect Bluetooth speaker to Roku TV.
Even though there’s a possibility of using your Roku on any HDTV or HDMI device, you need to know if it’s compatible with your Bluetooth speakers, amplifiers, or sound bars.
You can connect your Bluetooth speaker to Roku TV via Roku App or using Bluetooth transmitter. How do you connect Bluetooth speaker to Roku TV? Well, you need to read on to unravel this and more from the article.
Can I Connect Bluetooth speaker to Roku TV?
Yes, you can connect your Bluetooth speaker to Roku TV because Roku is Bluetooth-enabled. Apart from the fact that you can connect to the Internet and stream with a streaming content provider that you have a subscription with (such as Netflix) using your home Wi-Fi, you can also listen to it via your wired headphones and Bluetooth.
However, note that Roku can’t connect directly to a Bluetooth device, but it can be done indirectly. The Roku Private Listening mode was designed for wired headphones that you link to your remote so that you can hear the audio from your Roku device as it streams from Netflix.
Recommended: How to connect Bluetooth headphones to Vizio TV
Checking Connections and Headphone Warning
You should always check and ensure that your Bluetooth speaker is linked to your Android or iOS device. You can then link them once this has been checked since Private Listening works on the Roku to the mobile device level, and the Bluetooth speaker acts as a peripheral to the connected mobile device. Also, make sure that the volume is well-regulated and at a safe level before playing the Bluetooth speaker.
How can I Connect Bluetooth speaker to Roku TV?
Here are a few ways you can connect your Bluetooth speaker to Roku TV, either via a Roku Smart TV that can connect to streaming services like Netflix, or a Roku streaming stick that you can connect to the HDMI port. Follow the steps below on how to connect your Bluetooth speaker to Roku TV:
Using the Roku App
- Download and Launch the Roku App if you don’t have already installed on your device.
- Launch the app and set it up before enabling the Private Listening feature of Roku.
- Go to the Device Section and select the name of the Roku device you are connecting to.
- This will allow the app to recognize the Roku device, which will then make the Private Listening mode activated.
- On the list, you can also select the Private Listening feature.
- Go back to the “More” menu, this is where you will find your selected Roku device which will now be visible in the device section.
- From the Menu of your screen, click on the “Control” option.
- This will cause the Roku Control screen to be displayed.
- The icon for “Private Listening” which looks like headphones will then show, click on it to activate it.
- You should see an audio wave icon between the headphone buds or cups. This shows that it has been successfully activated.
- Bluetooth speakers can also be linked to your mobile device, therefore allowing speaker functionality over headphone functionality.
- All audio coming from your Roku device will be played on the Bluetooth device connected to your phone, whether it’s a speaker, amp, subwoofer, ear pods, or headphones.
- To deactivate Private Listening, simply click on the icon on the Control screen and reactivate it by clicking on the same icon.
Now, you have successfully connected the Bluetooth speaker to Roku TV via the Roku App.
Using a Bluetooth transmitter
Another way you can connect your Bluetooth headphones to your Roku TV is via a Bluetooth transmitter. The transmitter gives the Roku TV Bluetooth capabilities even though it doesn’t come with Bluetooth capability. The Bluetooth transmitter connects to your TV through an optical audio input, AUX, or RCA audio jack depending on the supported inputs or outputs by your Bluetooth transmitter and your TV.
The TCL Roku TV has both optical audio and Aux ports, therefore you only need a compatible Bluetooth transmitter that has either optical audio or Aux ports to connect. There are so many brands of transmitters you can use such as the Taotronics Long Range Bluetooth 5.0 Transmitter Receiver for TV(TT-BA014).
You only need to pair your headphones or TWS earbuds with the transmitter via Bluetooth. The Roku TV will output sound to the Bluetooth transmitter and the transmitter will then send audio via Bluetooth to your headphones. That’s it!
Is it Possible to Connect AirPods to Roku TV?
No, you can’t connect Airpods directly to a Roku TV or Roku streaming device just the same way headphones cannot be connected to a Roku TV. You can only connect an Airpod by using the Roku software on your mobile device.
Can I connect my Bluetooth speakers directly to Roku without using my phone?
No, you can’t connect Bluetooth speakers directly to Roku. You will need your phone to connect your Bluetooth to Roku since Roku doesn’t have inbuilt Bluetooth capabilities.
Apart from the phone app, Firestick, and official speakers, there are no other ways to connect Bluetooth speakers to Roku.
I hope this article has been able to help you connect Bluetooth speaker to Roku TV successfully. Feel free to drop your comment in the section below.