Are you looking for how to connect non-smart TV to the internet? If your answer to this is yes then check out this article.
You can connect your non-smart TV to access the internet, use apps, browse, shop, and stream videos just like a smart TV.
While the approach isn’t direct but it’s achievable. You don’t have to break the bank to turn your old TV into a smart TV. With this guide, you will know what to do to bring out the best in your old TV at home and turn it into a smart TV.
In this article, you will learn how to connect non-smart TV to the internet using a streaming device.
How To Connect Non-Smart TV To the Internet
With the following gadgets, you can turn your non-smart TV at home into a smart TV. While these gadgets are not free but they won’t cost you a fortune.
Amazon Fire TV Stick
Using an Amazon fire TV stick allows you to access music, movies, and TV episodes from apps such as iTunes, Spotify, Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+, Peacock, etc.
Roku devices allow you to access the internet by connecting your TV with a Roku streaming stick or Streaming Stick 4K+ with a Roku player. Roku streaming devices support Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, YouTube, HBO Max, Roku Channel, etc.
Apple TV 4k
Apple TV 4K is supported by various TV and you can connect your Apple device via the HDMI port of your TV. You can choose how you want to watch EITHER on your TV or on your Apple devices or on the web.
You can connect your TV to the internet with an Android TV box through the HDMI port. A Smart android TV box is compatible with all streaming platforms and it supports streaming platforms such as Hulu, Prime Video, HBO max, Spotify, Apple TV, etc.
Google Chromecast allows you to cast your TV with Google TV by inserting it into the HDMI port on your TV. Google Chromecast supports a wide range of streaming apps such as Netflix, Peacock, Apple TV, sling, Prime Video, Youtube, Espn, etc.
Tivo Stream 4k
Tivo Stream 4k is a media streamer that allows you to search, browse and create watch lists across all of your apps. It supports a variety of streaming apps and free content with Tivo+.
When you connect your TV to a gaming console, you can stream the internet. You can also stream on apps such as Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, HBO Max, YouTube, Apple TV+, and other streaming channels supported by the gaming console.
Can You Make an Older TV a Smart TV?
You can make an older TV a smart TV by connecting a steaming device or gaming consoles such as an amazon fire TV, Roku player or Roku stick 4k, Apple TV 4K, Smart android TV box, Google Chromecast, Tivio stream 4k, Xbox or PS gaming console to the HDMI port on your older TV. These devices allow you to access the internet, use apps, browse, shop, and stream videos just like a smart TV.
How do You Turn a Normal TV Into a Smart TV?
Here is a list of devices that allow you to turn a normal TV into a smart TV:
- Amazon fire TV.
- Roku player or Roku stick 4k.
- Apple TV 4K.
- Smart android TV box.
- Google Chromecast.
- Tivio stream 4k.
- Gaming console (Xbox and Play station console).
How Can I Stream to a Non-Smart TV?
Here is a quick tip on how to connect non smart TV to internet:
- Plug your streaming device into the HDMI port of your TV.
- If your streaming device has an Ethernet port, you should connect one end of the Ethernet cable to your steaming device and the other end to the Ethernet port on your router or Modem.
- If you are connecting a streaming stick, use your USB power cable to connect it to a USB port on your TV. Then connect your USB power cable with a long-range Wi-Fi receiver to the power adapter.
- Connect your streaming device to a power outlet.
- Now turn on your non-smart TV.
- Power on your TV using the remote control.
- Select the input where you connected your streaming device.
- Download the app through the streaming device.
- Now you can begin streaming on the app.
How to Convert Normal TV Into Smart TV
Here is how to connect non smart TV to internet:
Amazon Fire TV Stick Lite
Buy an Amazon fire stick lite and connect it via an HDMI port of your regular TV to access the internet, use apps, browse, shop, and stream videos. With an Amazon fire stick, lite allows you will have access to various streaming apps.
Google Chromecast Device
The Google Chromecast device allows you to cast music and videos from your phone or tablet. Follow these steps to use a Google Chromecast device:
- Plug your Google Chromecast device into your TV. Attach the other end of the USB power cable to a power adapter and plug it into a wall outlet.
- Now download the Google Home app on your phone or tablet.
- Set up Chromecast.
- Cast Content.
Apple TV 4k
With an Apple TV, you can watch Apple TV channels, movies and shows through the Apple TV app. You can stream on Apple TV by connecting an HDMI cable to one end of your HDMI port and the other end to your regular TV. Select the proper input on your TV and Apple TV will appear on your TV screen.
Gaming consoles such as Xbox and play station portable would allow you to turn your regular TV into a smart TV.
To watch TV on your Xbox one, you would need to connect your cable or satellite setup box directly to the HDMI port on your TV. Then select one guide from “My games and apps”.
To connect your PS to your normal TV, insert one end of the HDMI port of your Playstation and the other end into the HDMI port on your TV.
How to Connect TV to Wifi
You can your Smart TV with the following steps:
- Depending on your smart TV model, navigate to network settings to set up a new internet connection.
- Tap the menu button using your TV remote control to access the menu option on your smart TV screen.
- Select the option to set up a new wireless network connection on your smart TV screen. This would open the lists of Wi-Fi networks that are available.
- Select the name of your Wi-Fi network using your TV remote to connect to the Wi-Fi network.
- Use your remote control to enter your WiFi password, your smart TV will then connect to the internet.