Video doorbells are now increasingly used as a popular security solution. With video doorbells, you can easily see who’s at the door, have two-way communication with them, perform face scans, and much more
Google has its doorbell, called Nest Hello. Nest Hello Video Doorbell was launched in 2018 and it contains some impressive features.
Although it isn’t far off from other video doorbells, it comes with its perks, and stress especially while installing it.
If you have a Google Nest Hello doorbell. Installing it to an existing doorbell might not be easy to figure out on your own.
Not only that, setting it up usually requires some compatibility checks. Meaning: If you want to install a Google Nest Hello Video Doorbell with an existing doorbell, you have to check if it is compatible.
And in this article, I will be showing you how to check for its compatibility while focusing on how you can install your google doorbell with an existing doorbell
To check if it is compatible you need to have some tools, these tools are going to be required for the installation process.
So what are the needed tools for you to install a Google Nest Hello Video Doorbell.
Inside the Google Nest Video Doorbell Box
- Nest Doorbell (wired)
- Chime connector
- Wire extenders
- Drill bit
- Unlock tool
Extra Tools you’ll Need
- Phillips screwdriver
- Power drill with Phillips bit
- Ladder (to reach your doorbell chime)
- Bubble level (to check doorbell alignment)
Software’s and Network requirements
- The latest version of the Google Nest app either for Andriod or iOS
- A compatible smartphone
- The Password to your Wi-Fi network
- At least a 2Mbps internet upload connection speed for each doorbell or Nest camera in your home
Since you’re now familiar with what is required to install a Google Nest Hello Video Doorbell, you can proceed to start it, by connecting the Googe nest app with the video doorbell device.
And, here’s how to do that:
How to Connect your Google Nest Hello Video Doorbell to the App
Since we will be making use of our smartphone device to view, the visitors outside the door, perform face scans, or have two-way connections with them, we have to link the smartphone with our Google Nest device.
And that will be done using the app. If you are a new user kindly follow the instructions below,
however, if you have a nest device which means, you have an account, kindly skip these instructions and proceed to the next subheading.
Now, for a new user follow these steps closely to install a Google Nest Hello Video Doorbell
For a New user
- Get the Google Nest app and install it on either your iOS device or Andriod device
- Launch the app and tap “Create an account”
- Once you’re on the home screen, hit the “Add” icon
- At the back of your Google nest device you will see a QR code and a number on top
- there, Simply scan it or tap “Continue without scanning” and type the numbers out
- On the next screen, you can decide to do a compatibility check or simply click “Next” to skip it.
Now, if you’re not a new user/ you have an account do these:
For a User that already has an Account
- Launch the Google nest app
Note: in a scenario where you have more than one home in your account, hit the “menu icon” at the top left corner to switch homes.
- Now, select the nest Home where you want to install your doorbell
- And, select “add product” while proceeding with the instructions above
once you’re done with this, you have to check if the Google nest video doorbell works perfectly with the current doorbell you have.
And to do this, you first have to check the voltage and the wire arrangement.
How to check compatibility and voltage requirements
To install a Google Nest Hello Video Doorbell you have to carry out a check on your Google video doorbell for its Compatibility follow these few steps below:
- First and foremost, you have to Turn off the power from your doorbell
- Now, take out the power from your fuse box and press the power button on the doorbell to be double sure that the device power has been switched off
- As soon as you’ve confirmed that the doorbell device is off,
Closely follow these steps to ensure that your current doorbell system is compatible with your Nest doorbell.
How to check system compatibility with Nest doorbell
- Firstly, confirm that your chime and doorbell are both powered
- Now, locate your doorbell and chime and remove the chime cover to check its wiring and wire labels inside the chime.
- Next, confirm if it will work with your new google doorbell by checking out these scenarios:
Scenario 1: The chime has two or more wires
- Google Nest Doorbell will Most likely work with it, but you need to check the voltage.
Scenario 2: The chime has both wires and batteries
- Google Nest Doorbell will Most likely work with it, but you need to check the voltage.
Scenario 3: The chime only has batteries and no wires
- Google Nest doorbell won’t work with Doorbell chimes that only use batteries.
Now, after going through these three scenario with your chime and it passes the compatibility test, you should also check the voltage ratings of your transformer if it is within these ratings below:
Once you are done with that, proceed with the chime installation process before you begin to install a Google Nest Hello Video Doorbell
How to install a Google Nest Hello Video Doorbell – Chime connector
Now, if your chime cover isn’t removed go ahead and remove it. you might need a screw before you’re able to do that in some cases.
As soon as it’s removed take a photo of your chime’s wiring before touching anything.
Taking these steps makes you have something to look back to in case the need arises to rewire it later.
1. What You Should See on your chime box:
- There will be 3 wire connectors with the label “FRONT” (front door), “REAR” (rear/side door), and “TRANS” (transistor).
2. Get the wires.
- Remove the wires connected to your chime box, since that is what we will be using
- Now, straighten the end of the wires. and twist them into a tight line.
- You should have ¼ inch of an exposed wire.
3. Wire in the Nest Connector.
- Now, pick up the Google Nest Connector and insert the “TRANS” wire into the terminal connected to the grey wire on the Nest Connector.
- Next, get the other wire and slot in the other wire into the terminal, the one connected to the white wire on the Google Nest Connector.
- Now, screw the white and grey wires to their corresponding wire connections on your chime box.
4. Replace your chime box cover.
- Route all wires correctly by making sure the connector wires or any of its moving parts don’t touch the chime.
- Now, mount the Nest Connector neatly and replace your chime box cover
5. Next, remove your old bell.
- Get a Phillips head screwdriver to unscrew your existing doorbell
- Now, remove the wires.
- Ensure the wires don’t fall back into the hole.
6. Mark the holes for drlling
- Firstly, get your wall mount
- Now, hold the bracket in place using the horizontal screw hole at the bottom.
- Ensure the bracket is straight, by using a pencil and then mark the wall where the screw holes will need to be drilled.
7. Now, Drill the holes.
On the point where you’ve marked the screw holes with a pencil, grab a power drill and drill right into the wall.
- If you are drilling into a Hard surface such as brick use the included masonry bit and tap the included anchors into the holes.
- however, if you are drilling into a softer surface such as wood, use a 3/32-bit size to create pilot holes for the included screws.
8. Install the mounting bracket.
- There are some screws included in the pack, simply install the mounting bracket with the horizontal screw hole at the bottom.
- Adjust your bracket using the bottom screw.
9. Connect the wires to your Google Nest doorbell.
- At the back of the Nest doorbell, loosen the screws there to create enough space for your wires.
- Now, wrap the wires around each of the screws. you don’t need to worry about which wire goes where
- Finally, tighten the screws and ensure they are placed towards the bottom of the doorbell.
10. Clip in your Nest doorbell.
Carefully, put the wires back into the wall and clip in your new doorbell.
- In case, you need to remove the Nest doorbell any other time, simply push the key tool into the small hole located at the bottom of the doorbell.
- in a scenario where you have short wires, make use of the included wire extensions
11. Now, switch the power source back on.
Check if the ring around the button is glowing blue.
If it is, everything is working perfectly.
- But, If there is no light, look at the wiring in the chime box to confirm any mistakes.
- however, If the ring glows orange, it means the strength of the voltage isn’t enough, and you will need to contact a professional electrician to upgrade your system.
Once you’re done with all these. you should have installed your Google Nest Hello Video Doorbell perfectly and it is ready to use.
Figuring out how to Install a Google Nest Hello Video Doorbell might break quite tedious as it involves quite a series of steps to get it fully set up.
Setting it up is fairly easy, you only need to follow the steps above carefully, and within minutes you’re done.
but, if you don’t have an existing doorbell set up and you want to install a google Nest Video Doorbell, you need to get an indoor power adapter, as compared to the google nest doorbell(wired) which is the newer version of the Google Nest Hello Video Doorbell.
If you have a ring video doorbell instead, over here you can find instructions son how to install it.