It’s not news that the Roku device or Roku TV become famous because it allows users to stream an almost unlimited number of movies and episodes on your TV. However, the major problem is how to pair your Roku remote with your Roku TV or the Roku device whether the Roku remote has a button or not.
Meanwhile, if your Roku remote is not paired with your device you will not be able to control the device let alone be able to watch your favourite movies and TV show.
Therefore, to make things really easy for you we will take you through the steps to take to pair your Roku remote to the Roku player or TV to be able to navigate the streaming app and watch your favourite movies and episodes on your TV or device.
Types of Roku Remote
The steps to pair a Roku remote depends on the type of remote your Roku device is using. Therefore, we will first consider the type of Roku remote before we move to how to pair a Roku remote.
The Roku remote type is divided into two different types and these are.
- The Standard InfraRed Roku Remote
- The enhanced point everywhere Roku Remote
Where you are trying to pair a Roku remote without the pairing button or your Roku remote has a pairing button this article will guide you through what to do.
Don’t miss: How to Fix Roku Remote not Working
How to Locate Roku Remote Pairing Button
Your Roku remote pairing button allows you to sync or pair your Roku remote to the device. With that, you will be able to control your device and stream your favourite movies and episodes on your device. However, to locate your Roku remote pairing button kindly follow the steps below.
- The Roku pairing button is located at the front of the remote most times which you can just press to initiate the pairing process.
- Also, you can find the Roku remote pair button under the remote battery compartment.
Since you first need to know where the Roku pair button is located before you can sync or pair your remote then we can proceed with how to pair your Roku remote.
How to Pair your Roku IR Remote
To sync or pair your Roku IR remote is quite simple and direct. However, ensure that you connect the Roku player to the TV and turn on the TV by powering on the power outlet.
- Insert the Roku remote battery into the batteries jack.
- Press any button on the Roku remote to pair.
- If the Remote is close to the Roku player the remote will pair itself without pushing the pairing button.
That is all you have to do to pair your Roku remote if you are using the standard Roku IR remote. However, if the TV remote fails to pair it could mean that the distance of the IR remote is far from the receiver.
How to Pair Enhanced Roku Remote
To pair an enhanced Roku remote the TV source has to be HDMI. So, in this session, you will need to switch to HDMI to be able to pair your enhanced Roku remote. Even though the remote is different from the standard Roku remote you’d need to ensure that you are not standing far from the TV where the Roku player is connected.
- Switch on your TV and press the source button on the TV remote.
- Set the “Output” to “HDMI” to work with your Roku player.
- Remove the Roku Remote batteries from the compartment and re-insert the batteries.
- Move close to your TV with the HDMI source selected and the Roku remote should pair if it’s within the range that it can pair or work with the TV.
- Once the Roku remote pairing has started a message will popup on your TV screen with “Pairing Remote” and once the pairing has completed you should see a message that says that your remote has been paired and you can start using the paired Roku remote.
With either of these methods, you should be able to pair your Roku remote and control your Roku media player with it. However, if none of the how-to pair a Roku remote works, then you can reset your Roku Remote and retry the process once again.
How to Pair Roku Remote without a Pair Button
If you are using a new Roku player the Roku remote will [probably] be without the pair button. That doesn’t mean you cannot pair your Roku remote to the player.
This is unlike the Roku stick that has a pairing button on the remote. So, here, we will quickly walk you through how to pair your Roku remote without a pairing button.
How to Pair Roku Remote without a Pair Button using Smartphone
What would come into your mind would be whether it’s possible to pair your Roku remote without a pairing button using your smartphone. If that is what is in your mind you are right. You can pair your Roku remote without a pairing button on your Android or iPhone.
- Download and install the Roku app for your Android and iPhone/iPad smartphone.
- Connect your Smartphone and Roku player to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Open the Roku remote app on your phone.
- Choose the “Remote” option once you have launched the Roku remote app.
- You should see a remote interface similar to your physical Roku remote and it will let you control your Roku player via your phone using the Roku remote app.
- Go to the “Roku Remote app settings.”
- Go to your TV and choose the “Remote & Devices” option using the remote.
- You will see the Roku remote you previously paired with if there is anyone available.
- Now, click on “Pair New Device.”
- The TV will scan for an available remote device or remote app. It will detect the remote app on your smartphone once both the TV and smartphone are on the same WiFi network.
And henceforth you can control your Roku player using your phone with the aid of the Roku remote app if your Roku remote failed to pair or the remote has no pairing button.
How to Pair your Roku Remote using the Pair Button
This process only works for TV that has buttons on their panel to navigate the TV without necessarily using your Remote or a TV with a screen touch. A good example of a TV with buttons on its Panel include a Samsung smart TV, LG, Hisense and many others.
- Go to your Roku Home screen.
- Navigate to the “Settings.”
- Find and select the “Roku Remote” option on the left pane.
- Tap on the option to “pair the Roku player with its remote.”
- Once that is selected the feature will automatically pair your Roku player or TV to the Roku remote and you start using it to navigate the media player.
However, after the above steps and the remote failed to work then you might need a replacement or try to reset the Roku remote to see whether you will be able to pair it with the Roku player.
How to Reset Roku Remote
The process to reset your Roku remote below works for virtually all types of Roku remote. Follow the steps below to reset your Roku remote.
- Remove the Roku player or TV remote battery.
- Unplug the Roku TV power cable from the Roku box.
- Wait for at least 5 minutes to discharge all power.
- Reinsert the remote batteries.
Once you have done that the Roku remote will be reset and unpaired. You need to repair the remote once again.
To pair your Roku remote after reset follows the steps above and the remote should be working perfectly.
It will be frustrating if you don’t know how to pair your Roku remote with your Roku TV or stick But with this guide, you can pair your Roku remote with the pair button you will also be able to pair your Roku remote without the remote button using your phone and reset the remote if it’s not working.