The smoke detector has different models that use various types of batteries suitable for its specific capacity. In cases when your battery is low and you need to fix a new one for replacement, you must remove battery from smoke detector. However, this article will guide you on how to remove battery from smoke detector.
Having a fully charged battery in your smoke detectors is the best precautionary measure you can always take for the safety of your family and home. Don’t wait for the chirping noise from your smoke detector before replacing the low battery with a new suitable battery for your particular smoke alarm. Ensure you cultivate the habit of changing the battery regularly.
The life span of most smoke detectors’ batteries lasts up to six months, therefore you need to replace the batteries at least twice every year. However, do you know how to remove battery from smoke detector? Read on to find out how to change smoke alarm battery here.
How to open Smoke Alarm Cover
You must open your smoke detector before you can remove the battery from smoke detector, before replacing it with a new battery or cleaning it. How to open a smoke alarm cover is quite simple, but various detectors have different ways of opening it.
Check out the different models of smoke detectors below and the various ways in which you can open smoke alarm cover:
- Most smoke alarm covers have simple clips that once they are pressed, the cover may be lifted off or open on a hinge.
- Some smoke detector models have battery compartments that simply slide open.
- While some other devices can be detached completely from the mounting bracket to access the battery compartment covered inside.
- For hardwired smoke alarms, always follow electrical safety and switch off the power before opening the sound detector. In case the unit has a power light, then wait for it to turn off.
- Now, you know how to open a smoke detector! Read on!
How to Remove Battery from Smoke Detector
The first thing to do here is to unmount the alarm and locate the battery compartment. Follow the steps below:
- Turn off the power in case your alarm is hardwired.
- Disconnect the alarm from the ceiling or wall.
- Find the alarm’s model number behind the back of the unit.
- Check your user manual to find the right replacement new batteries, typically 9V or AA.
Once you’ve bought the new batteries, then it is time to remove battery from smoke detector, install them and remount the unit. Follow the steps below:
- Open the battery drawer. In case it’s locked, you need to remove the tamper-resistant locking pin.
- Remove the old and weak batteries.
- Long-press on the Test/Reset button for about 10 seconds to fully discharge the detector.
- Place in the new batteries, and ensure the contact positive and negative points are facing the right direction.
- Close the battery compartment and remount your unit.
Now, you have successfully removed and replaced your battery in smoke detector.
How to remove Battery from Smoke Detector models with rear-loading batteries
Always check if your tamper-resist pin is engaged, then you might need to remove it. In case you have a tamper-resist locking tab, you will need to push it in using a screwdriver before you can twist the smoke detector to remove it from the bracket.
Follow the steps below:
- Remove the alarm from the mounting plate by twisting it towards the direction of the Off arrow on the plate.
- In case you have an AC Hardwired (Interconnected) alarm, then you need to remove the quick connect wire harness behind the alarm by squeezing the plastic prongs and pulling the wire harness out of the alarm.
- Once the alarm has been removed, open the battery compartment door carefully.
- Place in the battery by pressing the red battery reminder finger down first into the compartment (Ensure the battery’s connectors (+ and –) align with the metal plates inside the battery compartment.
- Once the battery has been installed, close the compartment door and tab the test button to ensure the unit operates on battery only before installing the unit back on the ceiling.
- In case the smoke detector doesn’t give any sound, re-open the battery compartment door to be sure the red reminder pins are pressed down and that the batteries are aligned properly.
- If you have an AC Hardwired (Interconnected) alarm, you will need to re-connect the Quick Connect wire harness to the back of the alarm before installing the unit back on the mounting bracket.
- Align the quick-connect wire harness holes with the pins behind the alarm. Then, squeeze the wire harness’ plastic prongs together and push the wire harness into the unit till it snaps into place.
- Install the alarm onto the mounting bracket again by twisting it in the direction of the On arrow on the plate.
You can consult your user’s manual for detailed instructions and diagrams.
How to remove Battery from Smoke Detector models with front-loading batteries
Since you now know how to remove battery from smoke detector models with rare-loading batteries, you also need to know how to remove battery from smoke detector with front-loading batteries, read on and follow the instructions below:
- Open the battery compartment door by long-pressing on the battery compartment door, then release it to allow the door to pop open.
- Pull the battery straight out of the compartment.
- Place the battery into the compartment. Ensure the battery’s connectors (+ –) are facing out. Then, align the plus (+) and minus (–) connectors with the yellow label on the bottom of the battery compartment.
- Once the battery has been inserted, long-press on the battery compartment door till it snaps into the closed position.
- In case the battery door slides open, ensure it’s open before removing and installing the new battery(ies).
- Ensure the contacts are not facing the same direction for models using the AA batteries.
- Note that a missing or inappropriate installed battery will prevent the battery compartment from closing.
- Click on the test button to ensure that the unit operates on battery only before installing the unit back on the ceiling.
- In case the unit does not give any sound, re-open the battery compartment door to ensure that the batteries are lined up properly.
- That’s it!
I hope you can now remove battery from smoke detector irrespective of the model you have after reading through this article? Kindly, feel free to drop your comment in the section below.