It’s quite easy and straightforward removing a Kwikset deadbolt smart lock because the Kwikset deadbolt is of a standard. Therefore, in this article, you will undergo a learning section on how to remove Kwikset deadbolt with a screw and without a screw.
The Kwikset deadbolt doesn’t just look like a premium lock. Rather it portrays the features of a premium lock for your home.
However, the Kwikset deadbolt key is a two-sided key that is designed for doors that have glass inserts. The premium feature comes in place by requiring a key to unlock the Kwikset deadbolt key from both sides preventing burglars or unauthorized persons from gaining access into a Kwikset deadbolt-locked apartment by breaking the door glass insert.
However, when it comes to how you can remove the Kwikset deadbolt key, it should prove less difficult because the lock manual says it all. And if you are the one that installed the Kwikset deadbolt, it should be easy to remove with the basic knowledge you gathered during the installation.
Therefore, in this article, we will explain how to remove Kwikset deadbolt without damaging your door lock.
Read Also: How to fix ADT beeping uncontrollable.
Note: If you don’t want to damage your Kwikset deadbolt door, consider hiring a blacksmith to help you remove the lock if the deadlock was mounted with the aid of tamper-resistant screws.
How to Remove Kwikset Deadbolt
Following the step-by-step guide below, you will be able to remove your Kwikset deadbolt from your door without damaging the door and install a new deadbolt.
- Keep the door in a stable position before you begin the Kwikset deadbolt removal. You can use an external object to support the door when opened so that it will be in a stable position when unscrewing the deadbolt lock.
- Use an appropriate screwdriver driver to unscrew the screws that are used to mount the deadbolt to your door to hold the deadbolt interior into the mounting plate.
- Keep all screws in a container to ensure that none of the screws get missing; otherwise you will need to get another screw for your deadbolt.
- Remove the screws used in mounting the deadbolt interior to the mounting plate inside the key by holding the deadbolt exterior plate.
- Once the screws holding the deadbolt to the interior plate are removed, the exterior and interior deadbolt plate will be free.
- To remove the lockout of the striker or deadbolt package, pull out the deadbolt exterior lock gently.
- Unscrew the two screws holding the deadbolt to the door edge.
- Pull out the striker from the edge of the door once it’s been unscrewed to remove it.
- Unscrew the mounting screws on the striker plate that’s attached to the doorjamb to remove it.
If you follow the steps above, you’d be able to remove your Kwikset deadbolt lock without damaging it. Meanwhile, do not use this DIY guide if your deadbolt lock was installed using tamper-resistant as it could damage the lock and spoil the door. Instead, reach out to a blacksmith and require his service to help remove your door deadbolt lock to be on the safer side.
Read Also: The step by step on how to change your ADT master and sub-users code.
How to Remove Kwikset Deadbolt without Screws
It’s possible to remove a Kwikset deadbolt without screws only if you can be calm enough to carry out the steps. However, under this headline, we will consider the possibility of how you can remove your Kwikset deadbolt without screws.
Meanwhile, for this to work, it would be that there are no mounting screws on your deadbolt lock. Because if it contains a mounting screw, you’d have to unscrew it during the removing process.
Therefore, what you need to do to remove your Kwikset deadlock without a screw is to follow the steps below.
- Turn the Kwikset deadbolt turn piece into your left or right, depending on where the deadbolt is facing.
- When you look at the turn piece bottom closely, you should see a little hole where a little Allen screw is inserted.
- Find the Allen screw size that fits into the hole in the Kwikset deadbolt turn piece bottom.
- Remove the screw and keep it secure, and you’d need if you want to couple the deadbolt, except you are planning to get a replacement.
- Remove the turn piece from the deadbolt once the holder has been removed.
That is all. You can go ahead to fix what you think is damaged, couple the lock, and install it as expected.
When it comes to how to remove Kwikset deadbolt, it’s better done using the appropriate screwdrivers. However, if doing that is a bit hard, you can use the second technique to remove your deadbolt lock before mounting since it’s yet to contain the screws.
But, if it contains a screw, the only way forward is to use a screwdriver, and if the lock is installed using a tamper-resistant, you’d need the service of a blacksmith to remove the lock without spoiling it and damaging your door.