There are several ways through which you can reset your Philips Hue system, either by using the Hue Bridge, Amazon Alexa or by using Zigbee devices. There are times when you’d need to reset Philips Hue bulb with serial number which is located in various places depending on Philips Hue product.
This article will show you the different locations and also how to find the serial numbers you may need to reset your Philips Hue bulbs. It is important to note that all the Hue products have a serial number and you need these numbers if you want to successfully reset the hue bulb or light.
The Hue serial number is usually a combination of 6 numbers and letters and it’s marked either by S/N or serial number. All brands of the Philips Hue bulbs have a serial number printed on the side of the bulb base, you can’t find the numbers printed on the box or packaging.
Finding the location of the serial numbers may look difficult or task at first, but once you find yourself in a situation whereby a lightbulb can’t be detected, then you would be happy you knew where the serial number of your Philips Hue bulb is located.
By locating this number, you will be able to reset Philips Hue bulb with serial number.
For light bulbs, you can find the serial number on the bulb itself, by the side of its base. However, for light strips, the serial number is located at the RF box along with the cable. For light bars, the serial number can be found in the manual. You can find the Philips Hue Serial Numbers on the locations stated above.
Philips Hue Serial Number
Serial numbers are very essential for the above lighting devices because there are times when thick walls hinder the connectivity of the bulbs and the hue bridge. However, once you know the serial numbers of each bulb, you can easily detect it via the app on your smartphone.
The light bulbs also need the serial numbers because at times they can be undetectable.
You can as well force Hue lights to pair with a new Bridge so far you have the serial number of the light and enter it into the app before conducting a scan. This is also applicable in case you bought the already used lights from someone else or you sold your lights.
Note that the Hue Play (and some other Hue lights) don’t have a serial number printed on them. It’s usually found in the manual and the tags on the power cord. However, read on to reset Philips Hue Bulb with serial number.
Importance of Serial Numbers to Light Bulbs
Philips Hue light bulbs are smart LEDs that are common because of their smart features; such as the innovative line of action, longevity/life span, and wireless connections. The light bulbs are not connected by wires or cables to the dimmer switch because they can be controlled wirelessly, but all bulbs’ wireless connections can be controlled by the Hue Bridge.
However, at times the Hue bridge can’t automatically detect the light bulb or some of the lightbulbs.
To fix this, you need to do a manual search of the light bulb via the Philips Hue smartphone app. Enter the serial number of the specific light bulb in the smartphone app, then the “missing” Philips Hue light bulb can now be detected. This method is common especially when the light bulbs are quite far from the Hue bridge.
Where is Hue Serial Number Location?
Most lightbulbs’ serial numbers are quite easy to locate. You will find it imprinted on the bulb itself, just by the side of the base. Search for a six (6) digit code of number or letters that are indicated as a “serial no”. At times, the serial number can also be located on the box of the bulb itself.
Here are the Hue Bulb Serial Number Locations:
- All Hue Bulbs: – You will find the serial number printed on the side of the bulb, it will say Serial No.
- Hue Go: – The serial number is on a sticker near the power jack.
- Hue Light strips: – The serial number can be found on the Zigbee rectangular box along the cord, not the power brick.
- Bloom: – The serial number can be found on the silver label on the bottom of the stand.
- Iris: – The serial number can be found on the Silver label at the bottom.
Location of the Serial Number in Light Strips
You can’t find the light strip’s serial numbers on a bulb because it does not have a bulb. Rather, you can find the serial number imprinted on the Zigbee rectangular box that runs along with the cord. The serial number can be easily distinguished because it is usually identified as such.
Location of the Serial Number in Light Bars
The serial number of Philips Hue light bars can easily be found on the instruction manual of the product. You can’t find it written on the device itself because it might mess with the aesthetics of the light bar. Simply get you often overlooked ignored instruction manual whenever you need to reset Philips Hue bulb with serial number on your Hue app. Discarding your instruction manual can be frustrating.
Location of the Serial Number in Philips Hue Bloom
Just like the light strip and the lightbulbs of Philips Hue, the serial number of the Philips Hue Bloom can also be found on the device itself. The lighting device is set up on a built-in stand, and you will find the serial number under the stand. You can easily spot this because it is written on a silver label.
Location of the Serial Number in Philips Hue Iris
Like the Philips Hue Bloom, the serial number of Philips Hue Iris is also located beneath the lighting device. Simply check for the silver labeled serial number at the bottom of the Philips Hue Go. Once you found it, simply input the serial number on the Hue app, and then you can easily detect your Philips Hue Go and connect it to your Hue Bridge.
Location of the Serial Number in Philips Hue Go
The serial number of the Philips Hue Go is not located at the bottom of the lighting device like the Philips Hue Iris. Instead, it is written on a sticker near the power jack. Once you found it, just enter the serial number on the Hue app, and you can easily detect your Philips Hue Go to your Hue Bridge.
How to Reset Philips Hue Bulb with Serial Number
One of the common ways to reset Philips Hue bulb is by using the serial number imprinted on the body of the bulb itself, the pack, or the instruction manual. Follow the steps below to reset Philips Hue bulb with serial number:
- Open the Hue app then type Settings >> Light setup.
- Click on ‘Add light’ to add a new bulb into your system.
- Instead of clicking on Search, now click on Add serial number.
- Input the six-character serial number of the bulb you want to reset.
- Then click on Search.
Now, you will see the ‘Search for lights’ screen. Here are a couple of options you can choose from:
- ‘Search for light’ can be used directly in case you just switched on your new light(s).
- ‘Enter serial number’ is usually used for Philips Hue lights which have their serial numbers on the bulb or in the luminaire. Once you enter the serial number in the provided space, you can click on ‘Search for lights’.
- ‘Touchlink’ is a common feature that can be used for any light. It is the recommended feature in case you’ve got third-party light bulbs that are very difficult to connect to a Philips Hue bridge. Move your light bulb very close to the bridge. Click on ‘Touch link’. Then, your light will begin to flash. Click on ‘Search for lights’ when your light starts flashing.
- That’s it! Now you have successfully reset Philips Hue bulb with serial number without any hassle.
How to Reset Philips Hue Bulb with Alexa
In case you have an Amazon Alexa smart speaker with an inbuilt Zigbee hub, such as the Echo Show 10 (3rd Generation) or Echo (4th Generation), you can easily reset your bulb using that. Follow the steps below:
- First, you need the serial numbers of your bulbs or lights, following the instructions above.
- Ensure your bulb is connected and turned on.
- Open the Alexa app and click on Devices.
- Click on the ‘+’ icon and choose Add device.
- Click on the question mark and then click on the link under How do I put my Zigbee device into pairing mode?
- Navigate down and click on Reset Philips Hue Light.
- Input the serial number of your light and tap Continue.
- Alexa will reset the Hue bulb and will then Discover it and connect it to your Alexa Zigbee hub.
- That’s it! Very straightforward.
- Now, you can reset Philips Hue Bulb with serial number.
All Philips Hue products come with a serial number that comes in handy each time undetectable light devices hinder the installation process. The typical distance between the lighting device and the Hue bridge is usually between 40 to 60 feet for easy connectivity.
However, in case you live in a house with thick walls, you may surprisingly have issues with light bulbs, light strips, etc. becoming detectable to the Hue bridge.
Once you come across an “undetectable” lighting device, then you will realize that your serial number can come in handy.
I hope you enjoyed reading this article and you find it educative? In case you found it useful, feel free to share it with other people who might be interested in learning more about Hue serial number locations and also how to reset Philips Hue bulb with serial number! Thanks for reading thus far!