Are you trying to figure out how to screenshot on your laptop in the simplest manner possible? If so, you have come to the right place because we will show you how to screenshot on a laptop, regardless of the model.
Understanding how to take a screenshot will allow you to explain things more briefly. In case you need to fix a technical issue on your laptop or an app installed on your PC, knowing how to take a screenshot will save you the stress of explaining every detail of the issue.
A screenshot will do the magic!
Since every operating system comes with a built-in feature for screen capture. Some even let you capture specific areas or take a scrolling screenshot. So, we will show you how to screenshot on a laptop easily via the different methods.
How to Screenshot on a Laptop
There are several ways by which you can screenshot on Laptop. Check out the different methods below:
Using the Print Screen Button (Prt Sc)
On a computer running Windows, carry out the following steps:
- Tap the Print Screen keyboard button to take a screenshot (usually abbreviated to Prt Scn or similar).
- Click on the Alt and Print Screen buttons simultaneously to just take a snapshot of the currently open window.
- The automatically copied screenshot must be pasted into Microsoft Paint, Photoshop, or another image editing program before it can be edited and saved.
- By launching File Explorer (pressing Windows key + E) and selecting Photos on the left side panel, you can locate the Screenshots folder (navigation pane).
- The screenshot will be saved there as well once OneDrive is enabled.
This is how to screenshot on a laptop. Check out the other methods below.
Using Windows+Shift+S Buttons
If you only want to capture a smaller certain portion, then you can use this method, follow the steps below:
- Click on Windows, Shift, and S simultaneously in Windows 10 if you only want to capture a section of the screen.
- Once you have selected the portion you want to capture, you can click and drag to highlight it.
- The Snipping Tool, which can be accessed by clicking Start and typing “snipping tool” in the search bar, can be used to accomplish the same task in earlier versions of Windows.
- The snapshot is again copied to your clipboard so that you can paste it.
- Press the Windows and the Print Screen buttons simultaneously to take screenshots and have them saved automatically.
- The Photos folder in your computer stores screenshots in a folder called Screenshots.
In a situation where you need to take a screenshot of an active window, tab on Alt and Prt Sc buttons simultaneously.
- Choose the window you want to capture, then tap the Alt and Prt Sc buttons simultaneously to take a picture and copy it to the clipboard.
- These Windows keyboard shortcuts can only be used to screenshot a single window or the entire screen.
Other methods can be used if you wish to snapshot a specific area and alter it.
Using the Snip and Sketch Tool
Whether you want to personalize, annotate, or share your screenshots, Windows 10 Snip and Sketch is the greatest screenshot tool for Windows. Follow the steps below on how to screenshot on a laptop:
- Use the keyboard shortcut Windows Key + Shift + S to launch Snip & Sketch.
- Your screen will go dim, and a mini menu with the choices to take a square, free-form, window, or full-screen capture will be displayed at the top of your screen.
- A preview notification will show up in the lower-right corner of your screen once you take the screenshot, which will then be saved to your clipboard.
- The Snip and Sketch app will open once you click on the preview notice, allowing you to save, share, or edit the snapshot using the available drawing tools.
This is another way to screenshot on a laptop!
Using the Snipping Tool
Snipping Tool is a system-installed screenshot tool. It allows you to capture your screen and perform basic editing. Here’s how to take screenshots on a laptop using Snipping Tool:
- Type “snip” in the Windows search box, and then choose Snipping Tool from the list of results.
- Go to Snipping Tool and select New to take a screenshot.
- Drag the crosshair to the location where you want to start the screenshot, then click and drag to select an area.
- If you want to cancel, press Esc before clicking.
- To save the screenshot, click on the Save Snip icon.
- You can save the image in PNG or JPEG format.
That’s it! This is how to screenshot on a laptop using the snipping tool.
Using the Game Bar
The Game Bar is an overlay that you can use to take screenshots and record videos within most Windows apps and games. To open and use it, follow the steps below:
- Tab Windows + G buttons simultaneously.
- Check to see if the Game Bar is enabled if it does not show.
- To do so, open the Settings app by pressing the Windows key + I.
- Go to Gaming >> Xbox Game Bar.
- Then, toggle Game Bar on to enable “recording game clips, chatting with friends, and receiving game invites.”
- Click the Capture button, the camera icon in the top menu to bring up the Capture menu in the overlay menu.
- To take a screenshot, click on the camera icon in the Capture menu.
- By pressing the record button, you can as well record a video clip with the option to include audio by clicking the microphone icon.
- The Videos >> Captures folder in File Explorer is where you may locate screenshots and video clips that were taken by the Game Bar.
- These files are saved in PNG and MP4 formats.
- You may also access them via the Game Bar’s Gallery by selecting Show my captures >> View my captures from the Capture menu, which is located beneath the screenshot and recording buttons.
If you want to do some special editing with your screenshots before sharing them with your friends, you can use Snagit. There are several screenshot apps available on the Internet, Snagit is one of them and we recommend it.
Snagit is a screenshot program that also includes image editing and screen recording capabilities. You can use it to quickly take a screenshot, edit the screenshot with its advanced image editing tools, and even capture videos. Here’s how to use Snagit to take a screenshot:
- Install Snagit by downloading it.
- Launch the software, log in, and then select the Capture option.
- Drag to choose a region after moving the pointer to the desired location to begin the screenshot.
- Alternatively, you can use your mouse’s left button to automatically select and then capture a region by hovering over it.
- For the camera icon to save your screenshot as an image, click it on the toolbar.
- Modify your image in the Snagit Editor window that displays.
- You can edit your image by adding shapes, text, effects, or other elements.
- You may either save your image or share it by clicking on the Share icon in the top right corner.
However, note that you can only try the full version of Snagit for 15 days. When the free trial period expires, you must purchase it.
With this guide on how to screenshot on a laptop, you can use any of the methods mentioned above. Let us know which of the methods you prefer in the comment section below.