Have asked this question severally whether it’s possible to take screenshots on laptops without downloading a third-party tool like SnagIt, ScreenPresso, Greenshot and a whole lot of them.
For Windows OS on Dell, HP, Toshiba, Acer, and Asus whether it’s Windows 8 or Windows 10 or Windows 10.1 on your laptop, you can simply follow this rule to take screenshots on laptops of the above-mentioned brands.
However, I was so curious not to download screenshots app for PC on my laptop and don’t want to use professional tools like Adobe Photoshop. Since the only thing I need is to take screenshots without necessarily editing it.
After a lot of researches, I have found several ways on how to take a screenshot on a laptop without using screenshots apps.
Table of Contents
How to Take Screenshot with PrtSc
If you want to take the entire screenshot on your laptop screen this guide should help with print screen [PrtSc] on your Windows computer.
1. Press and hold “Windows key + PrtSc” on your computer’s keyboard
2. A pop-up folder appears, enter the name of the file and click on save to save the screenshot in your prefer or predefined folder location.
3. You have successfully taken your laptop’s screenshot using PrtSc function on your laptop PC.
Take Only Image Screenshots
This is simply an approach to take screenshots of only a specific image on a laptop. This won’t take the screenshot of the entire screen rather it will only take the screenshot of the image.
1. Press and hold “Alt + PrtSc” on your laptop’s keyboard
2. The image will be copied to your laptop “clipboard”
3. Open “Paint” and paste the copied screenshots on it for editing
You can also page it on MSWord or PowerPoint for editing in case you need to use a professional tool or even Adobe Photoshop.
Take Laptop Screenshots with “Fn + Alt + PrtSc
If your own laptop has the “Fn” key you can combine it with the “Alt” and “PrtSc” to take screenshots on your laptop.
1. Press and hold “Fn + Alt + PrtSc” on your laptop’s keyboard.
2. Press and hold ” Fn + Alt + Space bar” to save the screenshot into your predefined location or select a new folder.
This works in a similar way when you use only the “Alt + PrtSc” key combination.
Take Laptop Screenshots Using Snipping Tool
All Windows OS has the snipping tool feature for taking screenshots without using third-party tools. There is no need to use keys combination to be able to take screenshots with the snipping tool on your laptop.
1. Hover your mouse pointer to the bottom right of your Windows and click “search” or press the Windows button and type “Snipping” into the search box in case the snipping tool isn’t pinned to your toolbar automatically.
2. Click to launch the “Snipping Tool”
3. Hover your mouse pointer to the drop menu beside “new” and choose from free-form, regular, Window, and full-screen snip.
4. Press “New” and left-click your mouse and drag the snipping tool over the region to take its screenshot.
5. For full-screen or Windows option this is not really necessary. Then, select your location, enter the name of the image, select image format [Jpeg or PNG] and save.
There are some other approaches on how to take screenshots on Mac laptops which are not discussed in this article. Most those approaches require users to be running Windows 7 or Windows 8 or Windows 10 unlike the general methods shared above that work with all Windows including Windows XP.