If you are familiar with the Xfinity Router, you must have noticed the WPS Button on Xfinity Router. Seeing as it is a common button, but yet unfamiliar to most users, GadgetsWright will give a qualitative review on the use/function of the WPS button on Xfinity Router.
WPS button can also be called Push button in other devices, or Wi-Fi Simple Configuration in others. Some might get creative and call it Push ‘n’ Connect or PBC; the point is the WPS is referred to as the easiest way to connect to the internet without the use of a password.
WPS is the acronym of Wi-Fi Protected Setup. This feature is present in most of the advanced internet routing devices in form of a button that can be connected to almost all internet faring devices From cameras to printers, Television, etc. (smartphones are not known for using WPS however)
Like I had said, it is the quickest path to connecting your devices to the router without the use of a passcode. Provided that the two network settings are set to WPA personal or WPA2 personal Encryption.
What are WPA and WPA2 Encryption? well, these are encryption methods to secure your temporal key integrity. The WPA2 uses AES, Advance standard encryption. They are both security protocols that most software is compatible with. That said, all/most devices use the WPA2 these days.
How to Set up WPS Button on Xfinity Router
Depending on the type of router, the setup differs. Nonetheless, the process still involves locating the WPS button, pushing the WPS button (This works like a switch and it is turned on to Discovery mode). Thereafter, you can go to your device (smartphone, tablet, Smart TV, or laptop) and try connecting to the network without providing any password.
Pressing the WPS button will automatically synchronize the SSID between both devices and then connect.
The idea of this is to make browsing within the home stress-free, it is secured at close range, however, it is important to keep your router secured at all times.
Location of the WPS Button
Before we proceed with the setup of various router networks, the first thing you must know is the different locations of the WPS button on Xfinity router with respect to their models. For the xFi gateway 3rd generation, you will find it at the back of the device. The advanced gateway models have buttons on the top.
Set Up using Push Button Configuration (PBC)
Since there are different modes of set-up depending on the model of the router, we will start with the Push Button Configuration (PBC)
Here are the steps to follow to set up a WiFi connection:
- Press the Modem with the WPS button.
- Within two minutes from each other, press the WPS button on your router/gateway, it could also be a computer system. (On xFi Advanced Gateway (XB6), when you push this button, a blue LED will flash slowly, indicating it is in connection mode, once it connects, it turns white)
- Please note, you should know where your WPS button is located on your router. You can consult your user manual to see this.
- After this, your computer, router, or gateway will display a connection success message. And you can use this connection till you disconnect and try all over again.
xFi Advanced Gateway (XB7 and higher) have their WPS button behind them while xFi Advanced Gateway (XB6) has it on top.
Set Up using WPS PIN
The alternative to PBC connection using WPS Button on Xfinity Router is by using a PIN, (i.e. Personal Identification Number). However this is not as straightforward as PBC, so we need to set it up.
So, follow these steps to Set-up PIN:
- The first step is to generate a PIN via the WPS-enabled device by using the WPS utility app.
- Make sure the Wi-Fi connection is switched ON while this setup is going on.
- Open your Gateway interface, if you are using a gateway.
- Log in to your account
- Go to Gateway.
- Select Connections
- Click on Wi-Fi.
- On the Wi-Fi page, select Add Wi-Fi Protected Setup Client.
- Enable WPS,
- Select PIN under Connection Options.
- Enter the generated PIN and click on PAIR.
- Your device will connect thereafter.
WPS Merits and Demerits
For all of the advantages of the features brought about by the WPS button on Xfinity Router, its disadvantages are also pronounced. WPS’s advantage is the quickness to connect and its major disadvantage is that it is not secured.
In this section, we will discuss the pros and cons of WPS.
We will start with the merits of this feature. As we have reiterated, it is quick to connect to. The configuration is automatic. But they are other merits, and they include:
- Even if the password and SSID have been forgotten, you can still browse with the gateway.
- It has a one-time use feature and the password is randomly generated. hence it has some degree of security.
- You can find this feature on many devices.
While WPS has a number of cons, it is renowned for its demerits too. The one that stands out is the weak security. Hackers can use brute force to break PIN and other connections, but there are other demerits are:
- This network is accessible to anyone within reach of your home and has a WPS-enabled device. All they need to do is push the WPS button.
- It is pretty useless if you do not have a WPS-enabled device, and you will have to connect in the usual way.
- Therefore, to connect all devices has to be WPS enabled before the feature can be used. (Note, iOS does not support this feature)
WPS Button on Xfinity Router: Conclusion
With this article, one would know the use of the WPS Button on Xfinity Router, how to use it and the risks it carries while using it. For its advantages, so are its disadvantages. This article is to educate users on the usage of the WPS button on Xfinity Router.
For further assistance, you can reach out to the Xfinity helpdesk.