This article is set to explain the various methods available to update your Firestick. Amazon Fire TV stick, also known as Firestick, is reliable, affordable, convenient, and offers a wide range of use. These features and more make it one of the most popular streaming devices.
Like every modern device, the Amazon fire stick requires constant upgrades, which Amazon regularly releases for various reasons such as adding new features, improving functionalities, resolving reported bugs.
For your Amazon firestick to function optimally, which will enable you to enjoy all that your Amazon firestick has to offer, it is required that you update the Firestick as soon as an update is available.
The Amazon firestick is actually set up in a way that once Amazon releases an update, and you have a valid internet connection on your TV, it will update itself automatically.
In situations where your Firestick is not updating automatically, or you prefer to update it manually. Continue reading this article to learn how to update your Firestick.
How to Update your Firestick Automatically
The prefered method of updating fire stick is to set up your Firestick, in a way the update happens automatically without your input. To ensure your firestick updates automatically, check the steps listed below
- From your Firestick home screen, go to the settings menu.
- From the settings menu, select applications.
- Then from applications, select automatic update, then click on the toggle button to turn it on.
Following the steps listed above will ensure your Firestick gets updated anytime an update is available and you are connected to the internet.
How to Update your Firestick manually.
Following the steps highlighted below will help you update your Firestick manually over the internet.
- Turn on your Firestick and go to the home menu.
- From the menu bar of your home screen, select Settings.
- Navigate to my Fire TV(known as Device or System in older versions of the Firestick) menu from the settings section, depending on the option showing on your TV.
- Then click on About.
- Then select check for update to confirm if your smart TV has Firmware available for update.
- If there is Firmware available for update, select install update.
- A message will appear on your screen letting you know the update will start once the Firestick is idle(The Firestick usually goes to the idle state about 30 minutes from last use) and request that you reboot your system to install the update.
- Once you accept, your Firestick will restart and you will get a prompt letting you know that update is in progress. This usually takes approximately 20 minutes from start to finish.
However to avoid unexpected issues, do not remove your Firestick from its power source while update is ongoing.
Check out: How to turn off Firestick
Unable to Update your Firestick?
If you cannot update your Firestick, it could be due to connection issues or lack of storage space for the update. You can disconnect your Firestick from the router or modem connected to it and reconnect to solve the internet connection issue.
To resolve the storage space issue, follow the steps listed below.
- Go to settings on your Firestick home screen.
- Select My Fire TV.
- Then select About.
- Now click on Storage.
- If you do not have at least 500Mb storage space, go to Settings and delete some apps to provide additional storage space.
How to check your latest Firestick OS version
If you want to know the OS your Firestick is currently using, the steps below will guide you on finding out.
- Navigate to the Home menu of your Firestick.
- Click on Settings.
- Select My fire TV.
- Select About.
- Hover on Fire TV stick from the about menu, and the full details, including the OS version of your Firestick, will appear on the right side of your screen.
Updating your Firestick is important, as it might be the solution to problems you might be when using the Firestick.
It also allows you to enjoy your Firestick in its most optimal state, including improved functionalities and sometimes added features. All of which means you get more value for your money.
This article has walked you through the various methods you can use to update your Firestick, why it is essential to update your Firestick, and the solution to common issues you might encounter when trying to update your Firestick.