This post will show you how to update your LG smartphone firmware, also known as software.
While LG’s track record for regular software upgrades isn’t perfect, it’s improving. You’ll want to get the update as soon as it’s available for your phone, whether it’s early or late.
LG mainly releases updates for its smartphones, which include bug fixes and security patch updates. These updates are vital because they keep your phone and personal information from being hacked or attacked.
This means you should aim to update your LG smartphone firmware as soon as it becomes available.
So, we will discuss what it takes to update your LG Smartphone firmware to the latest version in this article manually and automatically.
How to Update your LG Smartphone Firmware
To update your LG smartphone firmware, follow the steps highlighted below:
- To begin, go to your LG phone Settings app on your phone and open it.
- Scroll down the page and select System.
- Tap Update Center from there.
- Now select System Update from the drop-down menu.
- After that, you will then be prompted for an update, and you’ll be able to start the upgrade immediately.
- You can also use the Check Now option to see whether a software update is available.
If an update is available, you’ll see the version number, file size, and, if one exists, a changelog. If it’s for a new version of Android, the update will most likely be quite hefty, so make sure you are connected to a WiFi network.
If you have followed the steps as listed above, then you have been able to update your LG smartphone firmware.
Depending on your battery level, you might also want to plug it in, as these larger updates can take a long time to install. Simply select Later if you aren’t ready to apply the update right now. If you’re looking for an update, though, you probably don’t want to wait until later to install it.
Your data is not wiped clean by updates. As a result, you don’t have to worry about going back to its factory settings.
However, it’s always a good idea to back up your data before installing a new update just in case something goes wrong. Because something could go wrong during the update, you may need to factory reset your phone.
Sometimes you might experience certain glitches using your LG smartphone that will not be fixed even when you update your LG smartphone firmware. Your next line of action will be to factory reset your LG smartphone in situations like this.
Highlighted below are the different methods you can use to factory reset your LG smartphone.
How to Soft Reset LG Smartphone via Settings
This method is preferable to doing a factory reset on your LG smartphone because it would not erase the personal data you have on the phone.
It is helpful when apps on your phone are beginning to freeze/hang, or your phone crashes unexpectedly.
To soft reset your LG smartphone without erasing person files via the setting menu, follow the steps below.
- From the Home Screen, go to Apps.
- Then select Settings.
- Select Backup and Reset from the drop-down menu.
- Select Reset Phone.
- Click OK to confirm.
If you have followed these steps, you have performed a reset on your LG smartphone.
Check out How to Use LG Mobile Switch to Clone Android & iOS Smartphones
How to Factory Reset your LG smartphone
Performing a factory reset on your LG smartphone requires a few basic steps.
However, it is important to note that unlike when you update your LG smartphone firmware or reset your LG smartphone through the settings option, performing a factory reset will delete all of the personal data you have on your phone.
Follow these steps to factory reset your LG smartphone.
- Turn off your LG phone.
- Simultaneously press and hold the Volume Down and Power/ Lock keys on the rear of your phone.
- Release the Power Key for a second after the LG logo displays on the screen. Hold the key down and push it again right away.
- Release all of the keys when you see the Factory hard reset screen display.
- To proceed, hit the Power/Lock or Volume Keys to cancel the factory reset.
- Hit the Power/Lock Key or the Volume Keys once again to resume and complete the procedure.
If you have followed these steps, then you have successfully performed a factory reset on your LG smartphone.
This article has highlighted how to update your LG smartphone firmware, reset your LG smartphone via settings, and perform a factory reset on your LG smartphone.
However, if you have tried all of these methods and still experiencing certain glitches using your LG smartphone, or you encounter any form of difficulty while trying out any of these methods, it is recommended that you seek the help of a professional.