Have you been unable to watch youtube on your Roku device and have been wondering the reason for Youtube not working on the Roku product you have and how to fix it? Then you are in luck, as this article will explain how to resolve youtube not working on Roku generally.
The Roku device is an easy and affordable way of streaming device that allows you to watch whatever entertainment channel you desire and have it show on your TV screen.
Youtube is also a website with a vast array of channels that you can watch educational, funny, and any other category of videos you are interested in watching.
You can easily stream youtube on Roku and watch it on your TV screen. However, there have been cases of Youtube not working on Roku.
The sections of this article below will explain why and how to fix Youtube not working on Roku.
Recommended: How to Watch Deleted YouTube Videos
Why is Youtube not Working on Roku?
There are various reasons that might result in Youtube not working on Roku, and some of the reasons are listed below.
- Youtube might not work on Roku because of a bad internet connection, as a good internet connection is necessary for streaming from Youtube.
- You might be having an issue with your Youtube account, preventing it from working on Roku.
- If the youtube server is down, the Youtube app will not be accessible on your Roku device.
- The issue of Youtube not working on Roku might be an issue with the Roku device itself.
The section below explains the basic troubleshooting methods you can employ to resolve Youtube not working on Roku.
You can also learn more about How to Use your Roku without a Remote
How to Fix Youtube not Working on Roku
You can take different steps to fix Youtube not working on Roku, and this section of the article will discuss some of those steps.
Check Internet Connection
Youtube requires a good internet connection to stream on Roku, so check if your internet works well using other devices like your mobile phone.
If the internet is not working on other devices or the internet speed is slow, then you should restart your router.
After restarting your router, check with other devices to ensure it works properly, and when it does, try streaming Youtube on your Roku device again to confirm it now works.
Check if Youtube Server is Down
On the rare occasion that the Youtube server is not working, you would not be able to stream from Youtube with your Roku or any other device.
The only thing you have to do in this case is to wait till the server comes up. Then you can continue streaming from Youtube with your Roku device.
Update the Youtube App
The youtube app you have on your Roku device might be outdated and can be the reason for Youtube not working on Roku. To update the Youtube app on Roku, follow the instructions below.
- Go to the home screen of your Roku and select the Youtube app.
- Then click on the asterisk (*) button on the Roku remote and select check for update from the option that appears on your screen.
- If there is an available update, Roku will automatically install the update, provided you have a viable internet connection.
If you have updated the Youtube app, you can attempt to stream with it on your Roku to confirm that it fixed the issue of Youtube not working on Roku.
Restart your Roku Device
Sometimes, a slight glitch might be the reason for Youtube not working on Roku, and restarting the Roku device might be the solution to fix it.
All you need to do is go to the Roku menu screen and select the restart option, and your device will automatically restart itself.
Once the device comes back up, you can attempt to stream on Youtube with it to confirm if you have been able to resolve the issue of Youtube not working on Roku.
Uninstall and Reinstall the Youtube Channel
Sometimes, doing as simple as uninstalling and reinstalling the youtube channel can help solve the issue of Youtube not working on Roku.
Follow the instruction below to uninstall Youtube on Roku.
- Press the home button on your remote to open the menu screen.
- Then click on streaming channels to see the list of available channels.
- Then click on the youtube channel and select remove channel, and the youtube app will be uninstalled from your Roku.
After uninstalling, you can reinstall the Youtube channel by following the instructions below.
- Click on the home button on your Roku remote to open the menu screen.
- Then select the search option from the menu list.
- Then input Youtube TV in the search bar.
- Then select add channel and click ok.
- After the channel has been added to your Roku. Select go to channel.
- Then sign in to your Youtube account.
After reinstalling the Youtube channel on your Roku device, you can now proceed to stream your favorite videos to confirm that you have resolved the Youtube not working on Roku issue.
Update your Roku Firmware
You might be experiencing glitches like Youtube not working on Roku because your current Roku device firmware is outdated, and new firmware is available for update.
Follow the instruction below to update your Roku device firmware.
- Press the home button on your Roku device remote to access the home screen.
- Then select Settings from the menu list.
- Then select the system from the settings option.
- Now click on system update and select check.
Your Roku device will update automatically if a new firmware is available.
Factory Reset Roku Device
If you have tried all of the other options available, and Youtube is still not working on your Roku device, you can reset the Roku device as a last attempt to resolve the issue.
Follow the steps below to use the reset button to reset the Roku device.
- Turn on your Roku device.
- Then press and hold down the reset button for approximately 10 seconds.
An indicator or status light will blink rapidly to signify that the factory reset is complete. You can then set up your device and stream from youtube with it.
You can also factory reset the Roku device from the settings menu by following the instructions below.
- Click on the home button on the Roku remote to go to the home screen.
- Then select settings and proceed to the system.
- Then select advanced settings and choose factory reset.
- Then follow the instructions that will appear on your screen.
Once you have been able to factory reset your Roku device, you can set up your device and stream from Youtube with it.
Why Was Youtube not Working on Roku TV (2021)
Thankfully the issue was resolved in the early months of 2022, and Youtube is now back on the Roku channel store for your viewing pleasure.
This article has explained why and possible fixes to resolve the Youtube not working on Roku device issue.
If, after trying any or all of the solutions mentioned in the article and Youtube is still not working on Roku, it is advisable that you reach out to either the Youtube technical support team or the Roku customer support team for further assistance.