Sometimes, you will need to update Samsung Smart TV firmware because once in a while, Samsung will release a new version of your firmware, and you will need to upgrade to that version.
The firmware updates are usually necessary because they sometimes add new features and improve the functionality of your TV or help you fix bugs that have been making your TV experience less enjoyable.
So, if you want to have a seamless experience using your Samsung smart TV, it is important that you update the firmware as soon as a new version comes along.
This article will guide you through the various methods available to update your Samsung smart TV firmware.
Check this article, on how to update a Vizio smart TV firmware.
How to Update Samsung Smart TV Firmware Automatically
Once your TV is connected to a WiFi network and a new firmware update is available, your TV will install the latest update automatically and apply it to your TV the next time you turn it on.
If you have not set up your Samsung smart tv in a way that enables it to update automatically, follow the steps below to update Samsung smart TV firmware automatically.
- Make sure your TV is connected to a stable WiFi connection.
- Navigate to settings.
- From the settings menu.
- Select support.
- Then select Update.
- Now select Auto Update, then choose if you want to turn it on or off.
If you have turned on the Auto Update on your TV, you have successfully set your Samsung smart TV to update automatically.
When your Samsung release a new update for your TV version, and you turn it on, it might take several minutes before it comes up; there is no cause for alarm. Your Samsung smart TV is only applying the updates that just got downloaded and installed.
How to Update Samsung Smart TV over the Internet
If you prefer a manual update to an automatic update over the internet, follow the simple steps listed below to update Samsung smart TV firmware manually.
- Turn on your Samsung Smart TV.
- Connect your Samsung smart TV firmware to a stable WiFi connection
- Using your Samsung smart TV remote, navigate to settings.
- Then go to support.
- From there, click on software update.
- Now, select update now.
- If any new firmware is available, it will begin the download and installation process.
- If no new firmware is available, click OK to exit the settings menu.
If you have followed the steps listed above, you have successfully updated your Samsung smart TV firmware over the internet.
How to Update Samsung Smart TV Firmware with a USB Drive
If you have issues connecting your Samsung smart TV to a WiFi connection, or you just prefer to update your Samsung smart TV Firmware using a USB manually. Follow the steps listed below to update Samsung smart TV firmware with a USB drive.
- Open your PC browser and go to the Samsung Online Support Site.
- Input your Samsung smart TV model number in the space provided.
- You will be directed to the support page of your Samsung smart TV model.
- Click on the Information page link.
- Navigate to Manual and Downloads.
- Select Download.
- Download the new firmware update into your computer.
- Unzip the content of the update you just downloaded and save it to the USB drive you have connected to your computer.
- After saving the content to your USB drive, plug the drive into the USB port of your Samsung smart TV.
- From your remote control, select the home or smart hub icon.
- Then select the gear icon representing the settings menu showing on your TV screen.
- From there, select support, and click on software support.
- Then click on the update now button.
- Select the USB option, and a message will appear on your screen indicating that your Samsung smart TV is scanning for a USB drive, and the process will take a couple of minutes.
- Follow the prompts that follow, to start the update process.
- When the download and installation process has been completed, your Samsung smart TV will restart itself, which indicates the update was successful.
Note that during the process of installing the new firmware to your Samsung smart TV, your TV must stay on and should not go off until the entire process has been completed.
How to check the Current Firmware Version running on your Samsung Smart TV
Follow the basic steps listed below if you want to know the current version of firmware your Samsung smart TV is running on.
- Turn on your Samsung smart TV.
- Navigate to the settings menu using your Samsung smart TV remote.
- Then click on the about section from the settings menu.
- You will see a display on your screen giving you all the necessary details about your smart TV, including the current Firmware Version.
There are situations where you will encounter certain bugs while using your TV, and there is no recent firmware update to address it.
In cases like that, it is advised that you contact the Samsung support center to get help from their customer support.