The addition of the Wyze cam outdoor RSTP to the features of the Wyze cam gives it more functionality, this alone makes it possible for you to stream videos to other platforms with your Wyze cam V3 RSTP link.
However, the RSTP is a beta feature and to make use of it, you have to install a separate firmware on your Wyze cam device.
Using RSTP with your Wyze cam V3 comes with its perks and cons. Part of the cons is that it requires a constant update since the firmware isn’t very stable yet, which means it is not fully optimized and might possess some bugs.
Although, looking at it from the bright side, makes the addition of the Wyze Cam V3 RSTP feature a big win for Wyze.
Now, before I delve deep into how you can install Wyze cam V3 RSTP, let us break down what RSTP means.
What is RTSP?
The acronym for RSTP means (Real-Time Streaming Protocol).
RSTV is a network protocol, that is commonly used to control media servers during video streaming in real-time.
One of the features of RSTP is that you can basically, control a video streaming session from another device connected with RSTP using commands such as play, pause, etc.
However, RSTP isn’t a new technology as it is still very old when it comes to streaming video protocols from your CCTV camera.
In addition to that, Wyze wasn’t able to integrate RSTP as a hardware feature due to limitations, but for now, they’ve made it possible for their users via a beta firmware which you can install on your Wyze cam device.
Since we know what RSTP means, does it Support all Wyze Cam Versions?
Does RSTP Support all Wyze Cam versions?
Rignt now, RSTP , support the Wyze cam V2, Wyze cam pan and Wyze cam V3.
At first, it didn’t support any Wyze cam version, but now, if you have any of the supported Wyze cam versions you can make use of RSTP.
You can confirm your Wyze cam version by checking the camera label.
Now that you’ve known all these here are what you need to install Wyze cam V3 RSTP.
Before installing Wyze Cam V3 RSTP
Before you go ahead to install the RSTP beta firmware on your Wyze device here are a few things you need to prepare:
- Obviously your Wyze v3 camera.
- A PC or Laptop with unzips software like WinRar, Winzip etc. for unzipping and also for the transfer of files. for this process, avoid using your smartphone or tablet as it might not work as expected.
- Now, You need to download the Beta firmware file using this link.
- Also, you need a Micro SD card that has been formatted to FAT32, for the purpose of flashing the firmware.
- Finally, you need a Micro SD card Adapter since you can’t directly insert your SD card into your PC/Laptop.
After getting all these ready, let us proceed to the installation of Wyze Cam V3 RSTP.
How to Install the RTSP Wyze cam V3 Firmware on your device
To install Wyze Cam V3 RSTP, follow these steps below:
- First and foremost you need to download the RSTP firmware which you can get here Wyze Cam v3 RTSP file.
- Now, Unzip the file you just downloaded and rename it to ‘demo.bin’.
- Next, slot your micro SD card into your Adapter and put it inside your PC
- After doing that, transfer the ‘demo.bin’ file to the microSD card’s root directory.
- Now, unplug your Wyze Cam v3 and then slot the prepared microSD card into your Wyze cam Device.
- Moving on, press and hold down the camera’s SETUP button while you are plugging in the USB cable and keep holding it until the light turns to solid purple.
- The blue and red LEDs will go ON at the same time, making it appear solid purple.
- As soon as it appears as solid purple, release the SETUP button and wait for 3-4 minutes.
- During this period, the camera will restart and the status light will change within that time.
- When it has been completed, your Wyze Cam v3 should be on your Home tab. there is no need to go through the setup process again since the cam was previously paired with your account.
Now, that you’ve been able to successfully install Wyze cam V3 RSTP, let us delve into how to enable and start using it.
How to start using Wyze Cam V3 RSTP
To start using the Wyze Cam V3 RSTP, here are the steps you need to follow.
- Launch your Wyze app, make sure you are using the latest version of the Wyze app. and also ensure that your Wyze cam v3 is connected
- Now, go to “settings” > Advanced Setings > RSTP
- After selecting RSTP, the Wyze app will instantly check if the installed firmware version is compatible with RSTP
- Now, enable RSTP by turning ON the RSTP toggle.
- On the next screen, you will be prompted to fill in your “username” and “Password” Ensure that both username and password have between 4 – 10 characters
- Do not include special characters
- To avoid having to reset it, use credentials that you can easily remember or take note of them since you will need them to access the camera’s stream via RTSP.
- Finally, create the RSTP URL by tapping “Generate URL,” and the RTSP URL will be displayed on the next screen.
You can use this URL for streaming provided you are using an RSTP-compatible player like a VLC media player if it is on the same network as the cam device.
Moving forward, let us break down how you can Access Wyze cam V3 RSTP on the VLC media player.
How to access the Wyze cam stream on the VLC player
If you want to stream your Wyze cam video footage via your RSTP-generated link on VLC using your PC.
First and foremost you need to have a VLC media player installed on your PC, that’s not all you also have to ensure that both the PC and your Wyze cam V3 device are getting internet from the same access point.
Now, let us delve into how you can start using your Wyze cam V3 RSTP.
- Firstly, you want to launch the VLC media player on your PC and click on Media and then “Open Network Stream”. Alternatively, you can press Ctrl + N on the VLC Media Player.
2. ON the “open media” window, select the “Network tab”. under this tab, you will see an input field where you can paste your generated RSTP link
3. Simply go to your Wyze app, copy your RSTP link and paste it in the Input field.
Now, click play and you should see the camera’s live feed, you might have to wait for up to 10 seconds delay, depending on your internet connection.
After connecting your VLC to your Wyze cam V3 RSTP, there are certain glitches you need to be aware of while using this feature.
Glitches like, the beta firmware version not being able to get updated, and also the inability to access most of the AI and cam plus features due to the unstable beta firmware, could give way to some users thinking of moving back to the stock model.
If that is you. Here is how you can go about it.
How to Disable RTSP and go Back to Stock Firmware
To disable RSTP and go back to stock mode here’s how to do that.
- Launch the Wyze app. while ensuring that the Wyze cam v3 is connected.
- Now, go to settings > Advanced settings.
- Next, select RTSP. While you wait a bit for the app to detect the RTSP beta firmware on the Wyze v3 camera.
- Finally, disable RSTP by turning OFF the toggle.
After doing that, you also need to flash the stock firmware back on the Wyze V3 cam by doing the following.
- Launch the Wyze app and pair the Wyze account with the Wyze V3 camera
- Now, go here to download the latest stock firmware update and then Unzip it
- Proceed to extract the file that you have unzipped and rename it as demo_wcv3.bin
- Now, copy this firmware file and paste it into the root directory of your SD card. Ensure that this is the only file on your SD card
- Now, insert the microSD card into the Wyze v3 camera after unplugging it.
- Moving forward, on the Wyze cam device locate the “select button”
- Now, plug the USB cable and hold down the “Select button” until the light turns purple.
- finally, release the “setup” button and wait for 3-5 minutes to initiate the flashing of the firmware and then restart the device
After successfully doing all these the firmware should be back to its latest stock version.
installing the Wyze cam V3 RSTP isn’t a glamorous procedure. it requires you to add an unstable beta firmware version to your Wyze cam V3 device. to access the RSTP features.
The RSTP features give the Wyze cam V3 device an added functionality since you will be able to stream live footage from your Wyze cam V3 RSTP on other devices via your generated RSTP link.