You need to know how to clear cookies from your browser as it is recommended to help free up some space as well as improve your security. This needs to be done periodically to help safeguard your online security. There are different ways to clear cookies on different browsers. We would be showing you how to clear cookies on most popular browsers like Chrome, Firefox, and Safari browser.
Table of Contents
- How to Clear Cookies from your browser
- Benefits of Clearing Cookies
How to Clear Cookies from your browser
Stick around with us and learn how to clear cookies on major browsers.
To clear cookies in your Chrome browser, follow the following steps:
- Navigate to the settings icon at the top right corner of the window.
- Then select More Tools and click on Clear Browsing Data.
- Make sure that the checkbox for Cookies and Other Side Data is ticked.
- Then you can select Clear Data.
To clear cookies in your Mozilla Firefox browser, follow the steps explained below.
- Once again, navigate to the settings icon at the top right corner of the window.
- Then select the Library option.
- Afterward, click on History.
- Then select Clear Recent History.
- After this, you will see a pop-up window where you can select the date from which you want to clear the cookies.
- Make sure the checkbox for Cookies is checked then select Clear Now.
- To clear cookies in your windows default browser, just follow the steps below.
- Select the settings icon on the top right corner of the window.
- Navigate towards the end of the page and select Settings.
- Then select Clear Browsing Data and afterward, select Choose What to Clear.
- Once again, make sure the checkbox for Cookies and saved website data is ticked and then select Clear.
To clear cookies in your Mac default browser, just follow the following steps.
- Select the Safari Menu icon, which is next to the Apple icon on your Mac screen.
- Then click on the Clear History option.
- You would then be asked to choose the period you want the cookies to be cleared from. This will ensure that all your browsing history from the period selected is cleared.
- Then click on Clear History.
Benefits of Clearing Cookies
Erasing cookies from your browser has numerous advantages. Check out some of them below.
Cookies Help To Maximise Space
Individual cookies are small and less than one MB; however, they can eat up a large amount of space on your computer because almost every website uses them. Clearing cookies occasionally would help you to free up some space on your hard drive while it would also help you improve your computer speed.
Cookies can be Easily Corrupted.
Usually, cookies cause problems when some websites get updated because they could store old information that is no longer helpful. The data stored can also be easily corrupted with data getting accidentally written into its wrong format. Hence, clearing cookies after updating a website would help fix issues you might be facing with the site.
Cookies are a Threat to your Online Security
Usually, there are a lot of security risks involved with keeping cookies. This is because some advertisements and social media plugins could create third party cookies that will begin to track you over numerous sites. These malicious programs could also try to access your private information. Removing cookies occasionally would safeguard you from these threats and potential cyberattacks.
After removing cookies, they would make web browsing secure, easier, and more convenient. So if you need a reason to clear your cookies, then this is a reason to.
It Helps to Maintain your Browser in Future
While trying to clear out cookies on your browser, it would not only free up space on your hard drive. It also helps to improve the performance of your PC.
Because clearing out your PC manually might be a little tedious, there are a few applications that can help you get the job done easily. Applications like CCleaner would help you scan your computer for cookies and clear them. Instead of doing it individually on every browser on your computer, this will save you a lot of stress and time.
You should also read on how to block or allow pop-ups in Chrome Browser here.
Now you know that cookies are a huge threat to the performance of your computer. Hence, it is important that they are cleared out occasionally. Using the methods above, you can easily clear out your cookies on any of the major web browsers. However, if you find the process of clearing out your cookies manually stressful, you can use different applications that would help you out.
Meanwhile, I would like to hear from you. If you have any challenges following any of the steps above, let us know in the comments section below.