The dark mode is becoming more popular nowadays. Dark Mode is on almost every device, including Mac, Windows, and Android. And now, there is Dark Mode on iPhone and iPad with iOS13 or iPadOS13. No doubt, Dark Mode looks great on devices, and on iPhone, it automatically works with supported applications and sites.
Enabling Dark Mode on iPhone does not take time, and we are going to walk you through the process below. Once you have successfully enabled Dark Mode, your background would change to black while the texts would be color white. Follow the steps explained below to enable dark mode on iPhone.
How to Enable Dark Mode on iPhone
Dark mode looks really good on iPhones, especially those with an OLED display like iPhone X and later models. To enable dark mode on your iPhone, just follow these steps:
- Start by opening your Control Centre. To do this, just swipe up (if you are using an iPhone 8 or earlier models) or swipe down (if you are using an iPhone X or later models).
- Once you have opened your control centre, tap and hold on your ‘Brightness’ slider.
- Then, you should tap on the ‘Dark Mode’ icon to turn it on. If you want to disable your Dark Mode, all you need to do is tap on the icon again.
- As an alternative, you can go through your Settings to turn on your Dark Mode. Just open your Settings, click on Display and finally, tap on dark.
Adding Dark Mode Toggle to Your Control Centre
Some of us would prefer to have a designated switch for Dark Mode in our Control Centre. To do this, just follow these steps:
- Go to your Settings and navigate to the Control Centre.
- Once you open the Control Centre, click on Customize Controls.
- Tap on the green ‘+’ button, which is next to Dark Mode, and it would be added to your Control Centre afterward.
- Now, you can open your Control Centre by either swiping up (if you are using an iPhone 8 or earlier models) or down (if you are using an iPhone X or later models). You would see the designated Dark Mode toggle. You can now tap on the toggle to turn your dark mode on and off. With this feature in your control centre, you no longer need to use your brightness menu.
How to Schedule Dark Mode on iPhone
Many people are not aware, but you can actually schedule when your Dark Mode should be turned on or off automatically. To do this, follow these quick steps highlighted below.
- First of all, open your Settings app and navigate to ‘Display and Brightness.’
- Find your way to the ‘Appearance’ section and click on the toggle right next to ‘Automatic.’
- Then, select the Options button. This will allow you to switch between the ‘Sunset to Sunrise’ option, and it will also show you the option to ‘Custom Schedule.’
- When you select the Custom Schedule option, you would be able to select the exact time you want the Dark Mode to come in.
Like the macOS and Mojave, dark mode on the iPhone also works with some supported applications and websites. Immediately an application that supports this feature updates on your iOS 13, the theme for the app would be automatically switched to dark if your Dark Mode is on.
For instance, in the screenshot below, you can see that the LookUp dictionary in the left is in its default light mode. However, on the right, you can see that the application is in its Dark Mode.
You can only achieve Dark Mode in such applications when your mobile phones Dark Mode is turned on in the control centre. And you can switch to the default light mode by simply turning off your Dark Mode.
This also works with some websites that you can access through your Safari browser. If the websites support the Dark Mode feature, then it would switch to a dark background once you turn on the feature in your Control Centre.
- Although, you should know that there is no way to blacklist applications from switching to Dark Mode once you turn on the feature on your phone. However, you can disable this feature from websites by simply going to your Settings, then select Safari.
- Afterward, click on Advanced, then select the Experimental Features and turning off the ‘Dark mode CSS support option.’
You should also read on how to enable dark mode on Google Chrome here.
Now, we have shown you how to turn on and turn off the Dark Mode feature on your iPhone, how to add the feature to your Control Centre, how to schedule Dark Mode, and how to disable the feature on websites. You can now begin to enjoy using this feature as you please on your iPhone. However, if you have any challenges following the steps explained above, let us know in the comments section.