If you have been having issues streaming youtube on your Roku and have been looking for possible ways to fix your Roku Youtube not working issue you are in the right place as this article aims to look at the possible reasons why your Roku Youtube not working and troubleshooting methods can use to resolve them.
Youtube is one of the popular streaming channels that can be accessed on the Roku platform, so, understandably, you might feel quite frustrated when you cannot access your favourite youtube channels and videos on your Roku device.
Why Roku Youtube Not Working
There is a wide range of reasons that might be the cause of the Roku Youtube not working, and some of the widely reported reasons are listed below.
- An unavailable or slow internet connection can cause the Roku youtube not working because youtube requires an internet connection to stream. An inconsistent internet connection might make it impossible or painfully slow.
- Your youtube account might be temporarily restricted or blocked, preventing you from accessing the youtube channel on your Roku.
- The youtube server might be down. While this is not a common occurrence, when the server is down, there would be an outage worldwide, preventing you from accessing it.
- The Roku device itself might be experiencing a glitch, which can prevent you from accessing youtube and other streaming platforms on it.
The section of the article will explain what you can do when any of these issues occur to have youtube up and running on your Roku in no time.
You can also learn How to Resolve Roku TV Not Connecting to WiFi
How to Fix Roku Youtube not Working
There are various reasons that might be the cause of the Roku Youtube not working. This section of the article will explain the various troubleshooting methods you can explore to resolve the issues.
Check Internet Connection
Streaming Youtube on Roku requires a steady and strong internet connection, so if the internet connection is bad, you will be unable to stream effortlessly on youtube.
You can use another internet-enabled device to confirm that the issue is with the internet, and if the device also does not have a good internet connection, the issue might be from your router or modem.
You should then restart your router to resolve the issue. If, after restarting your router or modem, you still do not have access to the internet, it might be best to reach out to your internet service provider.
Verify the State of the Youtube Server
Although the downtime of the YouTube server is highly uncommon, it is nevertheless possible, and when it does, your Roku device will not be able to access the YouTube channel.
You can verify this by attempting to visit YouTube on different devices. If it is not accessible on those devices as well, you will have to wait until the Youtube server is operational again since there is nothing you can do to resolve the issue.
Restart your Roku Device
If the reason for the Roku youtube not working has to do with the Roku device itself, there is a huge possibility that the issue was caused by a glitch in the device.
You can easily resolve this by restarting your Roku device. To restart the Roku device, you only need to click on the restart option on the Roku device to restart it automatically.
After restarting the Roku device, you can then attempt to stream youtube on it to confirm that you have resolved the issue of the Roku youtube not working.
Update Your Youtube App
If the Youtube app is out of date, it might be the cause of the Roku youtube not working, and you can easily resolve this by updating the youtube app.
Follow the instructions below to update the Youtube app.
- Select the YouTube channel from the home menu on your Roku device.
- Then click on the asterisk (*) button to select the check for update option from the menu options.
- If an update is available, Roku will install it automatically.
Once you have updated the app, you can attempt to stream on the app to confirm that you have resolved the issue of the Roku Youtube not working.
Uninstall and Reinstall the Youtube App on Roku
If you have tried various troubleshooting methods with no result, sometimes doing something as simple as uninstalling and reinstalling the youtube app on Roku can resolve the issue.
Follow the instructions below to uninstall the Youtube app from your Roku.
- Press the home button on your Roku remote to access the menu screen.
- Then select streaming channels to display the channel list on your screen.
- Then click on the YouTube app and click on the remove channel button to remove it from your Roku.
You can then reinstall the Youtube app on your Roku device by following the steps below.
- Press the home button on your Roku remote to navigate to the home menu.
- Next, select Search from the menu list and type YouTube TV into the search box.
- Then click on add channel and select Ok.
- Then click on add channel and select Ok.
- After adding the Youtube channel to your Roku device, you can then click on the go-to channel option.
- Now log in or create an account on Youtube.
You can then begin to stream your favourite channels on Youtube to confirm that you have resolved the issue of the Roku Youtube not working.
Update the Roku Device Software
If a software update is available for your Roku device that you are yet to install, it might cause your Roku device to experience glitches, resulting in the Roku youtube not working.
You can update the software of your Roku device by following the instructions below.
- Press the home button on your Roku remote to access the home menu screen.
- Now choose settings from the menu and select system from the settings menu.
- Then choose System Update and click on check.
The Roku device will automatically update if an update is available. You can begin to stream from youtube after the update.
Factory Reset the Roku
If you have tried the other troubleshooting methods in the article with little to no result, you should factory reset the Roku.
Although note that performing a factory reset on the Roku device will automatically delete everything on the device and revert it to the state, it was when you newly acquired it.
You can factory reset the Roku by following the simple steps below.
- Turn on the Roku device.
- Then press and hold the reset button on the remote for approximately 10 seconds to reset it.
Roku Youtube Playback Speed is not Working
Earlier in the year, after an update on the Roku platform, some users discovered that they no longer had the playback speed option on Roku youtube, even though it was still very much available when watching videos on Youtube using a computer or a phone.
This is an update issue that we believe will be resolved soon, and once it is, you will get a new update you can download to restore your access to the playback speed feature.
Roku YouTube not working can be frustrating when you don’t know how to go about it or the steps to take to fix it. With this article, you should be able to resolve the issues around your Roku device and YouTube app.