A lot can happen on the internet especially if you are a novice. One such is the smart search malware that hijacks your search and redirects it to another source. Well, we will explain in detail how to remove smart search program in this article.
Smart search is a web browser hijacker which redirects your searches from your target to an unknown source. This is caused by a malicious extension, file, or plug-in that has been installed on your device.
This web-hijacking malware would redirect you to any browser including Safari, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome.
If you are experiencing this; this article will help you to take over your device and remove the smart search hijacker.
In this article, we will guide you on how to remove smart search hijackers from your web browser.
How to Remove Smart Search
There are a few actions that you need to take to completely remove this hijacker from your device. While you need to attempt all the methods discussed here, you may need to take even other steps to completely protect your device from hijackers such as using your device defender.
Use Malwarebytes to Remove Smart Search Browser Hijacker
You need to download, install and run a scan with Malwarebytes to remove malicious codes that cause smart search redirects on your device.
- Go to malwarebytes.com or you can download it from the Google play store for Android devices or the Apple app store for iOS devices.
- Install the Malwarebytes’ free virus scanner software on your device.
- Launch the software and tap the “Scan” button. The virus detector quickly scans for viruses.
- Once the scan is completed, Malwarebytes will report any threats found on your device.
- You will be asked if you want to remove the virus found.
- Press the OK button and the Malwarebytes removal tool will ocean up threats to keep your device, files, and privacy secure.
Reset your Browser
Resetting your browser will erase settings such as personal data, and browsing history and disable malicious extensions.
Follow these steps to remove smart search hijackers from your Chrome browser by resetting the browser to the default settings.
- Click more or the three-dot at the top right corner
- Tap settings.
- Click “Advanced”.
- Click “Reset and clean up.”
- Click “Reset settings to their original defaults”.
- Click “Reset settings”.
Follow these steps to remove the Smart Search browser hijacker from the Firefox browser by resetting the browser.
- Click the more button (three horizontal lines) in the top right corner and then click on “Help”.
- Click More troubleshooting information.
- Click on Refresh Firefox.
- Click again on the Refresh Firefox button, to confirm you want to reset your browser settings.
- Click Finish.
To Remove the Smart Search browser hijacker from Microsoft Edge follow the steps listed below:
- Click the three dots in the top-right corner and then click on Settings.
- Click on Reset Settings.
- Click the Reset button when the confirmation dialog is displayed.
Follow these steps to Remove the Smart Search browser hijacker from Internet Explorer:
- Open internet explorer, tap the gear icon at the upper right corner of your browser and then tap internet options.
- Select the Advanced tab, then click the Reset button.
- Under the Reset Internet Explorer settings option, click on the “Reset” button.
- When the reset is considered melted Click on Close.
- Now close your browser and restart your Internet Explorer browser.
Remove Unwanted Extension
If you notice an extension on your browser that you can’t remember when it was downloaded and installed it could be what makes your browser vulnerable. Therefore, we advise that such an extension should be removed.
To delete the unwanted extension in Google Chrome:
- Open your Chrome browser.
- Select More or three parallel icons.
- Select More tools.
- Select Extensions.
- Next to the extension, you want to remove, select Remove. Right-click the button on the browser toolbar.
- To confirm, select Remove from Chrome.
Follow these steps to delete an extension in Firefox Browser:
- Click the menu button or three parallel.
- Click Add-ons and themes and then select Extensions.
- Look for the unwanted extension.
- Click the 3-dot icon on the unwanted extension and select Remove.
Follow these steps to get delete the unwanted extension in Safari:
- Open Settings and tap Safari.
- Click Extensions.
- Click on the extension you want to remove.
- Turn off the toggle next to the name of the extension.
To remove add-ons on internet explorer follow these steps:
- Open Internet Explorer web browser.
- Click the Tools button and choose Manage add-ons.
- Now search for the add-on you want to delete. To view, all the ads select All add-ons under show.
- Select Remove.
How Do I Disable Smart Search?
The process to disable the smart search depends on the browser and the source of the malware. If it’s caused by an extension removing it could help fix the problem But if it’s not, resetting your browser can disable the smart search hijacker from your device.
When you reset your browser it erases settings including personal data, browsing history, clear chance, and cookies files.
How Do I Stop Search Engine Hijacking?
There are a few steps that you need to take to stay ahead of hijackers even if you are not an expert or programmer. Taking the following steps will help you to control and stop search engine hijackings.
Update your Device
Whenever you get notified of an update available make sure you click on it and have it installed on your device.
Updating your device to the latest version helps to protect against threats. Updates often include security fixes, patching loopholes, and every other maintenance.
Avoid Clicking on Suspicious Links
It’s not every link you see on the internet that you click on. Avoid clicking on any suspicious link to avoid your browser redirection to try stealing your information.
When you click on suspicious links this can cause hijacking of your device or browser, redirect your search, displaying of unwanted ads, etc.
Avoid Downloading Software From an Unknown Source
Some software runs an open source, which means their codes are available on places like Git Hub. This makes it easy for hackers to hide malicious code in this modified software.
Using peer-to-peer file sharing, cracks, keygens and any pirated software can compromise your privacy data and device safety.
To prevent your device from being targeted by malicious software make sure you download software from the licensed main source and avoid third part downloads.
Install An Ad Blocker
An ad blocker is a browser extension that helps to get rid of intrusive ads. The ad blocker blocks any website that is flagged as ad material.
Install An Anti Virus
Anti-virus helps to keep your device safe and secure. Several antiviruses can be installed on your device for example Malwarebytes, Norton360, Avast, etc.
When you install an anti-virus it notifies you of any potential threat. They provide extra protection against security threats.
It can be frustrating when it comes to how to remove smart search hijackers after the program has taken over your device. But with what we shared with you in this article, you should be able to remove completely from your device any smart search malware or virus.