Even though SearchQuest may appear to be a legit and helpful app, but don’t be deceived, it is categorized as a potentially unwanted adware-type program (PUP). Here in this article, you will learn how to remove Web Search Quest from Mac, Windows, and some internet browsers like Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox. and Internet Explorer.
One of the main reasons for these negative associations is the cunning installation of SearchQuest software (usually done without the users’ permission). In addition, SearchQuest generates invasive online ads and tracks Internet browsing activity.
SearchQuest is a browser add-on that was recently added to the “adware” and “potentially unwanted programs” (PUP) categories. Its developers describe this tool as a “utility that makes searching and translating information you discover online easy.”
However, this useful functionality may be threatened by the inconveniences that this app may cause.
What is WebQuest Search?
WebQuest is an inquiry-oriented platform through which students can get all the information needed from the web. According to the movement, teachers offer their students documents that include links to websites so they can use the notification.
WebQuest Search can be created using several programs, including a simple word-processing document with links to websites.
SearchQuest is also known as a deceptive application similar to WordWizard, PhraseProfessor, TermTrident, and several others, all of which provide the same features which allow users to highlight, translate, and search several online texts.
SearchQuest is an ad-supported software utility that makes searching and translating information you find online simple. You can select any text you see online, highlight it, and SearchQuest will show the Wikipedia and Bing results in an in-page window.
How did SearchQuest Install on my Computer?
SearchQuest is usually distributed via a deceptive software marketing method known as ‘bundling’ (it’s a stealth installation of additional programs with the selected software).
Most users don’t express enough caution while downloading and installing software. Once you know this, developers conceal rogue apps within the ‘Custom’ or ‘Advanced’ settings.
Without realizing that bogus programs are concealed, many users speed up these processes and skip most or all important steps, thereby forcibly installing rogue applications and exposing systems to the risk of future infections.
Once it gets installed, it may install itself on Windows startup, create various registries, and affect all your web browsers, including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and even Internet Explorer.
Consequently, you may begin to receive tons of “Ads by SearchQuest”, “SearchQuest Ads”, “Powered by SearchQuest”, and similarly marked ads any time you browse the net.
The main issue is not even the annoyance of those ads, but rather the risk that they pose to your PC’s security.
Note that such and similar advertisements are prepared by untrustworthy third parties, therefore there is always a possibility that SearchQuest redirects expose you to questionable or unreliable domains.
How to Remove Web Search Quest
Using Manual threats removal can be a cumbersome and complicated process that requires advanced computer skills. You can use the Combo Cleaner which is a professional automatic malware removal tool recommended to get rid of the malware.
In case you are a Windows user, you can remove Web Search Quest by following the steps below:
- Right-click on the Start icon, and select Apps and Features.
- In the opened window, look for the application you want to uninstall, and after finding it, tap on the three vertical dots and select Uninstall.
- Right-click in the lower-left corner of the screen, and the Quick Access Menu choose Control Panel.
- In the opened window select Programs and Features.
- Click Start (the Windows logo at the bottom left corner of your desktop), and select Control Panel.
- Search for Programs and click on Uninstall a program.
If you are a macOS user, here’s how to remove Web Search Quest:
- Click on Finder, and in the opened screen choose Applications.
- Drag the app from the Applications folder to the Trash (located in your Dock), right-click on the Trash icon, and choose Empty Trash.
- Look for “SearchQuest” in the uninstall programs window, select this entry and click “Uninstall” or “Remove”.
- Once you can uninstall the potentially unwanted program that causes SearchQuest ads, ensure to scan your computer for any leftover unwanted components or possible malware infections.
- To scan your computer, use the recommended malware removal software that is compatible.
How to Remove Web Search Quest from Internet Browsers
Here, we will put you through how you can remove Web search quest from Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Internet Explorer. Follow the steps below:
For Google Chrome:
- Open Google Chrome, tap on the Menu (the three vertical dots at the top-right corner) and choose More tools >> Extensions.
- In the newly opened window, you will be able o view all the installed extensions.
- Uninstall all the suspicious plugins that may be related to the unwanted program by selecting Remove.
Clear cache and web data from Chrome:
- Tap on Menu and select Settings.
- Under Privacy and security, choose Clear browsing data.
- Choose Browsing history >> Cookies and other site data, as well as Cached images and files.
- Tap Clear data.
Change your homepage:
- Click on Menu and select Settings.
- Search for a suspicious site in the On startup section.
- Tap on Open a specific set of pages and click on the three dots to locate the Remove option.
Reset Google Chrome:
In case the previous methods did not still remove Web Search Quest, reset Google Chrome to delete all the unwanted components:
- Tap on Menu and choose Settings.
- In Settings, scroll down and click on Advanced.
- Scroll down and find the Reset and clean up section.
- Now select Restore settings to their original defaults.
- Verify with Reset settings.
For Mozilla Firefox:
- Open the Mozilla Firefox browser and tap on the Menu (three horizontal lines at the top-right of the window).
- Choose Add-ons.
- While still here, choose the unwanted plugin and tap Remove.
Reset the homepage:
- Tap on the three horizontal lines at the top right corner to open the menu.
- Select Options.
- Under Home options, enter your preferred site that will open every time you open Mozilla Firefox newly.
Clear cookies and site data:
- Click on Menu and choose Settings.
- Go to Privacy & Security section.
- Scroll down to find Cookies and Site Data.
- Tap on Clear Data.
- Choose Cookies and Site Data, as well as Cached Web Content, and click on Clear.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
If clearing the browser as explained above did not remove Web Search Quest, you can reset Mozilla Firefox:
- Open the Mozilla Firefox browser and tap on the Menu option.
- Go to Help and then select Troubleshooting Information.
- Under Give Firefox a tune-up section, tap on Refresh Firefox.
- Once the pop-up shows up, verify the action by tapping on Refresh Firefox.
For Internet Explorer:
- Open Internet Explorer, tap on the “gear icon” in the upper right part of your browser, and then click on Internet Options again.
- In the “Internet Options” dialog box, tap on the “Advanced” tab, then click on the “Reset” button.
- In the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” section, choose the “Delete personal settings” check box, then click on the “Reset” button.
- Once Internet Explorer has completed its task, tap on the “Close” button in the confirmation dialogue box.
- Now, you will need to close your browser, and then you can open Internet Explorer again.
Your computer should be free of the SearchQuest adware infection now.
In case you are still having issues while trying to remove “Ads By SearchQuest” pop-ups from your machine, you can try the following:
- Run a system scan with Zemana AntiMalware.
- Begin a new thread in the Malware Removal Assistance forum.
How to avoid the Installation of Web Search Quest
To prevent the installation of adware-type apps like Web Search Quest, be very careful during the download and installation process of any software.
Take note of the precautionary measures below to avoid the installation of Web Search Quest:
- Carefully analyze each step using the “Custom” or “Advanced” settings.
- Opt out of any third-party applications added for download or installation since you can’t be sure that these applications are legitimate.
- The key to computer safety is caution.
- Make use of a good Antivirus and keep it updated.
- Keep software and operating systems updated.
- You can install an ad blocker.
- Always back up your data.
- Be careful what you download and click.
- Choose strong passwords.
- Never use pirated software.
By paying close attention, you will be able to safely perform the download and installation processes. This is a concise method on how to remove Web Search Quest, feel free to drop your comments and question in the section below.