This article will be discussing how to reset a Vizio Smart TV. It will bring you the necessary information on situations when you need to reset your Vizio Smart TV, what you need to do before you can reset your Vizio Smart TV, how to properly reset the Vizio Smart TV and finally how you can set up your Vizio TV, after a reset has been done.
So, if you own a Vizio TV, you really should read this through.
Wikipedia says that a factory reset is a software restore of an electronic device to its original system state by erasing all of the information stored on the device. A keyboard input button factory reset is used to restore the device to its original manufacturer settings.
One thing you must know, before performing a factory reset on your Vizio TV is that a reset effectively erases all of the data, settings, and applications that were previously on your TV set, but resetting is usually essential because they are often done to fix an issue with the TV or to restore the device to its original settings.
When You Should Reset Your Vizio TV
If you are encountering any of the following, then your TV is due for a factory reset;
- TV is running too slow, hangs or freezes while a show is on.
- Your TV refuses to power on, even when you use the Power button on your TV/remote control.
- Your Vizio TV Menu isn’t working.
- SmartCast apps like Netflix and Hulu refuses to load or crashes randomly.
- When you keep seeing a blank or black screen when opening certain apps.
- If you want to erase all your personal information, in a bid to sell off the TV or give it away.
- You can’t seem to connect your TV with a wireless network.
- You are experiencing issues with the audio or video.
- You can’t remember your password or have lost access to the home screen.
- You bought the TV from a seller and wants to customize it to suit you.
Now, there are two ways to reset your Vizio Smart TV, that is a hard reset and a soft reset. It is wise to try a soft reset first or even a power cycle, and then resort to a hard reset if the issue is not resolved.
So lets get straight to how you can reset your Vizio Smart TV. Usually, you will need a remote control to reset your Vizio Smart TV, except the model you have comes with a Menu button on either of its sides.
How To Soft Reset your Vizio Smart TV
Follow the steps below to soft reset your Vizio smart TV.
- First, unplug your TV. Then, disconnect the power cord either from the back of the TV or its outlet.
- Then, press and hold the power button on the TV for 3-5 seconds.
- Finally, plug the cord back in and turn on the TV. The soft reset is complete.
In some models, you might have to use the menu options to soft reset. If that is the case;
- Press the Menu button on the remote. Select System
- Then, click on Reset, click Admin
- Finally choose Soft Power Cycle.
How To Hard Reset your Vizio Smart TV
The steps depicts how to do a reset on your Vizio smart TV. Do note that hard reseting your smart TV will override personal settings and configuration.
For the hard reset, start by;
- Pressing the Menu button on your remote.
- Navigate using the arrow buttons and select System by pressing OK.
- From there, move to Reset and Admin. Press OK.
- Select the option- Reset TV to Factory Defaults. Then press OK.
- If you haven’t changed the parental code, type 0000 when the device prompts for a password. (0000 is the default password but you can change it if you want to, by clicking selecting “System Manager” and then clicking “Change Pin”).
- From there, move to Reset. Press OK.
- The TV will now power off.
Once it turns back on, you will be asked to add your settings and preferences, exactly like the first time you bought it, which means you will have to set it up.
How To Set Up Vizio Smart TV
For The Physical Set Up
- First, ensure you are connected to a Wi-Fi network.
- Then, connect all the Input/Output cables to the TV.
- Before plugging in the power cable, connect all the devices you want to use as audio/video input and audio output.
- Plug one end of the power cord into the rear of the TV and the other into an electrical outlet.
- Note: The socket types on the rear of your TV will vary based on the model you have.
- The TV should turn on automatically. If it doesn’t, press the power button on the rear of the TV.
- Then, using your remote, press the directional buttons to highlight an option and OK to select the highlighted option.
- You can press OK to bring up the setup guide.
- Then, select your preferred language.
- Then select Home Use
- Choose your home’s Wi-Fi network.
- Type in the WiFi password and select Next.
- Select Accept for Terms and Conditions.
- Enter your email to register your TV, or you can skip this step.
- Your Vizio will provide you with information on what data it collects. Select Accept to continue.
- With that, your TV is now set up and ready to use.
- Now you can go ahead and install your preferred apps again.
Things You Should Do Before Performing a Factory Reset On Your Vizio Smart TV
Considering the fact that resetting wipes off all the data from your device, these are some precautionary measures you can take in a bid to still preserve your most valuable data.
Back Up Your Data
- Open the Settings.
- Go to Accounts & Sign-In and here select your Google account.
- Then you will see the option to choose what to back up.
Remove Security Locks.
- Navigate to the Settings on your TV
- Click on Security.
- Click Screen lock.
- Enter your PIN/password.
- Click None.
- Click Yes, remove
Remove External Storage.
- From the Home screen of your TV.
- Go to Settings
- Under “Device,” select Storage.
- Select your USB drive, then Eject.
5. Note Down Your International Mobile Equipment Identity(IMEI) which is a 15-digit number unique to your device that can enable tracking of smartphones that may be stolen. To locate your IMEI number;
- Go to Settings.
- Select Support.
- Select About This TV.
- Your Model Code and IMEI number will be displayed on-screen.
So that is how you can successfully perform a reset on your Vizio Smart TV, and if you do not want to lose all data stored in your TV, then endeavour to follow the steps outlined above.