Ring camera lets you turn off your monitoring camera temporarily, most especially when you want to sneak out. So, in this guide, we will focus on how to turn off ring camera temporarily to sneak out.
However, when you want to turn off the ring camera to sneak out you must have the ring camera app installed on your smartphone. This implies that you need to be the admin to be able to turn off the ring camera for a while.
This is to ensure that random persons do not come to your ring camera and turn them off without your permission. When your ring camera is disabled temporarily, it will not be able to record. So, disabling or turning off the ring camera disable the camera motion capture. It will neither capture nor record motion when the ring camera is disabled temporarily.
Install the Ring Camera App
If you do not have the ring camera app installed on your smartphone just follow the steps below.
- Open your Android or iOS [iPhone] browser.
- Go to ring.com/app.
- The ring platform will automatically detect the latest version of the app for your phone and redirected you to the app’s download store for your phone.
- Tap on the “Install” or “Get” button to download and install the “ring app” on your phone.
Check out How to Reset Wyze Cam
Connect or Pair the Ring Camera to your Phone
You need to connect the ring camera to your phone. If you haven’t done that follow the steps below.
- Open the ring camera app on your phone.
- Choose “Create Account.”
- Provide your details on the app column to create your account.
- Sign in to the ring camera account once you have created it.
- Select “Set up a Device.”
- Choose “Security Cams.”
- Scan your ring camera QR code or Mac ID barcode using your phone camera at the back of your stick cam.
- Choose your location when you are asked to select a location.
- Name your ring camera.
- Put the stick-up camera into setup mode.
- Press and hold the orange button at the back of the Stick Up Cam.
- Keep holding until a white light starts blinking at the back of the Stick Up Cam.
- Click on “Continue“ on the ring camera app.
- Click “Join” to join the ring camera WiFi on the app. For Android phones, this option may be missing. And of course, it will join the WiFi automatically.
Once your ring cam is set up and connected to your phone you can leave the app screen.
Enable Modes in Ring Camera
To have total control on your ring camera to be able to control, customize and disable the ring camera from recording temporarily, you need to enable the camera modes option.
- Open the ring camera app.
- Tap on the three dots to the top right.
- While in the app menu selects settings.
- Click “Enable Modes.”
Once this is enabled, you will have control over the default ring camera motion record settings.
How to Disable Ring Camera Temporarily from Recording
If what you are looking for when to turn off ring camera temporarily is to disable the recording feature for the meantime, follow the steps below.
- Launch the Ring camera app on your phone [Android or iPhone].
- Click the three dots to the top right to go to the ring cam app menu.
- Find and click on the “Device Settings.”
- Choose “Modes.” Check out the steps to take to enable modes on your ring camera from the previous step.
- To disable the ring camera temporarily, click on the camera mode [Disarmed, Home, or Away].
- Click on the camera to turn off or disable it from the list of your monitoring cameras.
- Click on the toggle tab” next to “Motion Detection and Live View” to turn off the camera motion detection, live view, and other features.
- Click on the “Save” icon to the top right of the ring camera app screen.
This is how to turn off ring camera motion detection and live view temporarily. However, if more than one admin is controlling the ring camera motion detection and live view, the other admins can turn on the ring camera without your permission. But, if the ring camera is turned off temporarily, it should be turned on in due time.
How to Turn off Ring Camera
If you can’t turn off your ring camera temporarily following the steps above, you should try this. But, I believe that if your ring camera app is up-to-date, you should be able to disable it following the above step.
- Open the Ring camera app.
- Select “Setting >> Menu [three dots].
- Click on the camera to turn it off from the list.
- Click on the motion detection and live view option from the name of the camera you selected.
- Click on the toggle slider from green to grey to turn off or disable the selected camera.
Once the camera’s green colour has turned to a grey colour, the chosen camera will be turned off or disabled. To enable the disabled camera, you need to follow the process of how to turn off ring camera above and choose to switch the slider from grey to green and the camera will become active instantly.
How to Stop Ring Camera from Recording
You can disable your ring camera from recording live motion or motion detection via the ring camera app. So, let’s quickly look at the steps to take disable the ring camera from recording.
- Go to ring.com/app to download and install the latest ring app on your phone.
- Click on the camera videos as if you want to check out the recordings.
- Click on Settings from there at the top right.
- Navigate to “Front Door” and disable “Motion Detection.”
- Click on “Stop Recording” from the popup that says “are you sure you want to stop recording movement”?
That is it. The ring camera movement will be disabled at the front door. Meanwhile, this will not work for all the locations of your ring camera. To turn off all ring cameras or disable all ring cameras you need to select all the cameras and turn off the recording function.
Now that you know how to turn off ring camera temporarily, you shouldn’t have a problem disabling motion detection, live view, and recording on your ring camera.