This article explains how to update Smart TV firmware manually, automatically, and via a USB or flash drive. The Smart TV firmware update guide will cover all brands and all versions with different methods that can be used to update your Smart TV firmware to the latest version.
How to Connect Smart TV to the Internet/WiFi
In most of the techniques that we will discuss in this article on how to update smart TV firmware, we will make use of the internet or WiFi or Hotspot as the case may be.
Therefore, you need to know how to connect your Smart TV to the WiFi or Hotpot or wireless so that you can carry out these tips seamlessly.
However, instead of showing you how to connect your Smart TV to the WiFi to learn to update the Smart TV firmware, we have this complete guide on how to connect a smart TV to a WiFi or hotspot that covers all smart TV with internet access.
How to Update Samsung Smart TV Firmware
Here is how to update your Samsung Smart TV firmware manually, automatically, and via USB or flash drive.
Update Samsung Smart TV Firmware Manually
Follow the steps below to update your Samsung Smart TV firmware manually following the steps below.
- Press the “Menu” button on your Samsung Smart TV remote
- Go to your Smart TV Settings.
- Scroll down and select Support.
- Select Software Update.
- Highlight and click on “Update Now.”
- If there is an update available the Smart TV will download it itself and install it.
- During the process of the installation, the Samsung Smart TV will restart itself [once or more time] to complete the installation.
- And if there is no update available, a message will appear that you are running the latest Samsung Smart TV firmware.
Meanwhile, to update the Samsung Smart TV firmware, you have to repeat the process at a regular interval. However, if you want the TV to upgrade to the latest firmware available at all times, you then need to set the firmware update to an automatic approach.
So, we will move to update your Samsung Smart TV firmware automatically each time a new update is available.
How to Update Samsung Smart TV Firmware Automatically
This approach updates the Samsung Smart TV firmware to the latest version itself whenever the smart TV is connected to the internet.
- Press the Samsung Smart TV “Menu” button on the remote.
- Connect the Samsung TV to the internet.
- Highlight and select Settings.
- Scroll down to and select Support.
- Click on Software Update.
- Choose Auto Update.
When next you turn on your Samsung Smart TV and a new firmware or software update is detected, the Smart TV will download and install the new firmware/software itself.
How to Update Samsung Smart TV via USB or Flash
The approach to update Smart TV firmware via USB is quite simple but need a bit of your attention. To use this technique, you need to know your smart TV model number or version number.
So, here we are going to deal with how to update your Samsung smart TV via a USB or flash drive.
- Open a web browser and go to the Samsung Smart TV online support.
- Type your Samsung Smart TV model number into the “Enter your Model Number” column.
- Click on the “Information Page”
- Choose either the “Downloads” tab or “Manual Downloads.”
- Click “Download or See More.”
- Download the Samsung Smart TV firmware/software latest version to your computer.
- Insert your USB or flash into your computer
- Launch the Samsung Smart TV firmware/software you downloaded and unzip or extract it into the removable when the popup appears.
- Eject the USB or flash once the software has been unzipped into the device and plug the USB into the Smart TV USB port.
- With your Samsung Smart TV remote go to:
- Home or Smart Hub icon,
- Select Settings
- Select “Support” on scrolling down the page.
- Choose “Software Update.”
- Select “Update Now.”
- Choose the update to install the TV update from the USB drive you inserted.
- A pop up will appear that the Samsung Smart TV is scanning the chosen removable device.
- Once the Samsung Smart TV firmware update is newer than the existing one, the TV will install it and restart the system once the update has been completed.
The steps contained above are the steps to take to update your Samsung Smart TV firmware or software to the latest version.
How to Update Hisense Smart TV Firmware or Software
For Hisense smart TV devices the following methods will help you to upgrade or update your Hisense smart TV firmware or software to the latest version or new release.
However, in this how-to update Hisense Smart TV firmware we will consider the following Hisense VIDAA OS, Android OS, and Roku OS and how to update them.
- VIDAA OS
- Android OS
- Roku OS
- Using USB
- Using Hisense Customer Support
How to Update Hisense Smart TV VIDAA OS Firmware
The steps below explain how to update Hisense Smart TV firmware with the VIDAA OS.
- Switch on your Hisense Smart TV
- Connect the Hisense TV to the internet. If you can’t navigate yourself around that kindly check out this guide on how to connect a smart TV to WiFi.
- Navigate to the “Settings.”
- Scroll down and select “Support.”
- Choose the “System Update” option.
- Click on “Check Firmware Update.”
- Wait for the Hisense TV with the VIDAA OS to check for the latest firmware or software update available.
- If there is a new update available you will be prompted to click on the “Update.”
- Once the update is downloaded and installed on your TV the Hisense TV will restart itself to complete the installation.
Once you have completed the firmware upgrading, navigate to “Update” >> Auto Update” to set the Hisense smart TV firmware update to automatic so that the TV can download and install the latest update whenever there is a new update available and the TV is connected to the internet.
How to Update Hisense Smart TV Firmware with Android OS
If you are using a Hisense smart TV with an Android OS below are the steps to take to upgrade or update the smart TV firmware.
- Power on your Hisense Smart TV firmware with the Android OS.
- Click on the “TV Settings” on the smart TV navigation.
- Scroll down and choose “Device Preference.”
- Choose “About.”
- Choose “System Update” under the “About” option.
- Click on “Network Update” to download the latest update OTA [other the air].
- Wait for the update to download and install. Once the update is completed click on the “Restart Now” button to restart the Hisense smart TV on the Android OS and load the new firmware.
Meanwhile, if there is no new update available, the Hisense TV updater will popup a message saying that you are running the latest firmware OS.
How to Update Hisense Smart TV Firmware with Roku OS
To update your Hisense Smart TV firmware with the Roku OS is quite direct. All you need to do is to follow the steps below.
- Switch on the Roku OS Hisense smart TV
- Select the “Settings” gear icon.
- Scroll down and choose “System.”
- Navigate to and select “System Update.”
- Choose “Check Now” to check for a new update if it’s available.
- Click on “Update” to download and install the latest update on your device.
However, if there is no new update available a pop up will appear saying that you are running the latest firmware update.
How to Update Hisense Smart TV Firmware via USB
This use of a USB or flash to update smart TV firmware is recommended when you don’t have a WiFi or hotspot to connect your Hisense TV. With this, you can just download your Hisense TV firmware latest version, unzip it into a flash or drive or removable storage and insert it into your Hisense TV USB port to complete the installation.
And for this, here are the steps to take to download, unzip, and install the latest Hisense TV firmware update using a USB.
- Go to the official Hisense smart TV firmware manual download support page.
- Download the latest firmware for your Hisense TV.
- Unzip the firmware or software to your USB connected to your laptop or desktop computer. Ensure that the file “upgrade_loader.pkg” is copied to your USB or flash drive.
- Turn “Off” your Hisense Smart TV
- Insert the “USB” with the “firmware” extracted to the device.
- Press the Hisense TV Power button to turn “ON” the TV.
- Press your “Remote Standby Button.”
- Hold down the button until the Hisense smart TV logo appears.
- Once the logo appears the firmware updating will start.
Wait until the smart TV completed the installation and once the firmware or software upgrading is complete the TV will restart. Although the firmware upgrading process may take up to 15 minutes.
However, ensure that there is a stable power supply in other not to break your TV operating system due to failure to complete the upgrading.
How to Update Apple TV Firmware
There are three ways to update your Firmware TV firmware. You can update your Apple TV firmware automatically, manually, and via USB or removable device.
Therefore, in this how-to update smart TV firmware part that is considering the Apple TV, we will display the three methods so that you can choose your best choice.
How to Manually Update Apple TV Firmware
Follow the steps below to update your Apple TV firmware manually.
- Open your Apple TV Settings.
- Scroll down and select “System.”
- Select “Software Update” under maintenance.
- Select “Update Software.”
- The Apple TV will search for the latest firmware update if there is any available. once an update has been discovered, then, click on the “Download and Install” tab.
- Just hang on for your Apple TV to download and install the latest firmware update.
During the Apple smart TV firmware update, your TV will restart itself to complete the update. However, during the updating or restarting, do not unplug the TV or press any button unless you are prompted by the TV instruction to do so.
How to Automate Apple Smart TV Firmware Update
Yes, you can actually automate your Apple TV firmware update or set your Apple TV firmware update to automatic so that the smart TV will download and install the update itself whenever there is a new update available.
- Launch your Apple TV settings.
- Click on “System >> Software Updates.”
- Click on “Automatic Update” under “Software Update.”
- Turn “ON” the grey icon.
Once your Apple TV is connected to the internet and there is a new firmware update available, the Apple device will download the update itself and install it without aiding it.
How to Update Apple TV 3rd Generation
The process to update smart TV firmware which is older versions are quite different from the process it takes to update the latest versions. However, if your Apple TV is a 3rd generation TV or older, the steps below lead you to how to update your Apple TV 3rd or older generation.
- Turn on your Apple TV by pressing the power button.
- Navigate to the TV “Settings.”
- Choose “General >> Software Update.”
- Click on the “Download and install” tab to download the latest firmware for your TV generation.
- Once the firmware update has been completed the TV will restart itself.
This process works for all 3rd or older Apple TV generations when it comes to updating your TV firmware or software to the latest version.