There are just four steps to use Google Maps on Apple Watch. Google Maps now available for Apple Watch and here is how to download it, install, and use it.
If you want to go beyond the traditional methods to find direction to work and traffic route on Apple Watch you need to install Google maps on your smartwatch. So, in this guide, you will take the class on how to use Google Maps on Apple watch.
Traditionally, the Apple Watch has inbuilt maps to serve the turn-by-turn directional purpose on the smartwatch. But, if you are used to using the Google Maps you can also make use of it on your Apple watch after a very long time without Google Maps.
You can install Google Maps on your phone and install the Google Maps on your Apple Watch to monitor the traffic congestion in a particular area, see the fastest direction to your destination, find the best route from home to work, know which way to follow whether by car or foot and even have access to get ETA for your current trip.
How to Install Google Maps on Apple Watch
The first thing you need to do is to download and install the Google Maps app on your Apple watch. We expect the Google Maps app to be preinstalled on your Apple Watch but if it’s not installed by default, you need to download and install it from the Apple store.
To install Google Maps on Apple Watch 3 and others follow the procedures below.
- Open your Apple Watch app on your phone.
- Scroll down and go to available apps.
- Find “Google Maps” and tap the “Install” button that is next to it.
- The Google Maps app will download, install, and move to the install section on your Apple Watch.
Now, the Google Maps app is successfully installed on your Apple watch. Next, we need to enable location tracking.
How to Enable Location Tracking
Enabling location tracking on your phone to use Google Maps will enable you to track your location on your Apple Watch using the new Google Maps app installed.
- Go to your iPhone settings.
- Tap “Privacy.”
- Click on “Location Service.”
- Click on “Google Maps.”
- Set the option to use tracking location while using the Apple Watch app on always depending on your choice.
Next, you need to set up your home address or office address so that you can quickly use the Apple Watch to communicate your location using the Google Maps app.
How to Setup Location Address
Now, we are going to set the location address on the Google Maps app on your phone so that you can click on it on your Apple Watch to find your way home from your current location.
- Open the Google Maps app on your iPhone.
- Tap the “Saved” button at the bottom and click on the list for “Labelled.”
- Click “Set Once and Go” under the “Home” option.
- Input your home or office address. You can type, or let Google Maps auto-find the home address and use it or select it from your contact if it’s already saved on your contact list.
- Save it and you are done
Note: If you have a separate address for home and work, repeat the process to set your work address on the Google Maps app as explained above.
You can also add other important location addresses such as a coffee shop, restaurant, cafe, ATM location, etc.
Now, let’s quickly set Travel Mode on the Google Maps app so that you can quickly set to use the option on your Apple Watch.
How to Set Travel Mode
Settings up travel mode before turning to your Apple Watch will make it easy to use Google Apps on Apple Watch.
- Open the Watch app.
- Scroll down the screen and click on “Set Travel Mode.”
- Set the travel mode to your most preferred option. It defaults to driving. You can change it to walking or Bicycling.
- Now, go ahead to set the direction to your destination so that you can get the direction via your choice of travel mode option.
How to Use Google Maps on Apple Watch
Following the walkaround above your Apple Watch will now be ready to make use of the Google Maps app via the shortcut icon created on the Apple Watch.
- Open the Google Maps app on your Apple Watch
- You should see the shortcut created for home, work, and office addresses.
- Now, tap on the direction you want to go on the shortcut. This will bring a turn-by-turn direction.
- You should see the Google Maps direction and route to follow to the selected destination shortcut on your phone.
- If the watch screen is too small or you couldn’t see the direction properly just click on the direction on your phone to view the direction to your location.
It may occur that you want to navigate the direction or location that is not saved on your phone on the Apple Watch. To do this, you need to open the Google Maps app on your phone instead of your Apple Watch.
Go to the Maps app on your iPhone or Android and enter the address of the location and click the start button. While the direction is up, the current trip on your Apple Watch app will show ETA.
Now, tap on it on your watch to view the turn-by-turn direction to the destination you input.
This is how to install and use Google Maps on Apple Watch. If you are facing any challenges, kindly leave a comment below.