How to fix Google Maps directions from current location not working on Android smartphone. If the Google Maps app couldn’t find your current location on your Android phone, here is what to do to fix the error.
We will break down all the steps to take to make Google Maps detect the directions you want to go from your current location. If you are unable to set your location or add an extra location, this post will help you with that.
Why Google Maps Unable to Find Directions from Current Locations
The Google Maps app may not be working and not able to search for directions from current locations or add extra locations as expected because of poor Wi-Fi connection.
Depending on the issue you encounter while trying to add directions from your current locations in the Google Maps, try the fixes we suggested below to restore the Maps app on your Android to normalcy.
How to Fix Google Maps Directions from Current Location not Working
If your Google Maps cannot detect directions from your current locations, tr the following steps to fix it.
- Restart your Android phone.
- Turn on the phone “Location.”
- Check Wi-Fi or Signal download and uploading speed.
- Update the Google Maps app on your Android phone.
- Clear the Google Maps caches.
- Calibrate the Maps app.
We will break down the steps below. Follow them one after the other to fix the Google Maps location problem on your phone.
Restart your Android Phone
Restarting your Android phone could fix the inability of the Google Maps app not able to see directions from your current locations. It depends on your smartphone, press, and hold the power button for some seconds.
Two options will pop up on your phone screen, an option to restart the phone and an option to switch off the phone. Tap on the restart button and wait for some seconds for the device to restart.
Now, go back to the Google Maps app, add an extra location to see if Google Maps isn’t working has been fixed. At times, this is what you need to do to fix it.
Enable the Location Feature on your Phone
If your phone location feature is disabled, the Google Maps app will not be able to detect your directions from your current locations.
- Swipe down your phone screen notification screen.
- Tap on the “Location” icon for your Google Maps to be able to detect your directions from your current locations.
Check your Wi-Fi Signal Strength
If your Wi-Fi connection strength is poor, the Google Maps app will not be able to detect your current location and lead you home. First, you can restart your Wi-Fi or use phone data to see if it fixes the error the Google Maps app is facing on your phone.
Update the Google Maps App
If you are running an outdated Google Maps on your Android phone, the app may run into an error trying to find your directions from your current locations.
- Tap on the “Google Play Store” app.
- Tap on the “Hamburger” to the top left.
- Tap on “My apps & games.”
- Tap on “Google Maps.”
- Tap “Update”
Tap “Open” once the “Google Maps app” has been updated. This should fix Google Maps directions from the current location, not working problems on your phone.
Clear Google Maps Caches
The Google Maps app stores a byte of cache every time you open the app to find your location home. However, deleting these caches may resolve the app to normal, and you will be able to add extra locations.
- Tap on your phone settings.
- Tap “Apps.”
- Tap on “Maps.”
- Tap “Storage.’
- Tap “Clear Caches.”
All the caches the Google Maps app stored on your phone will be removed.
Calibrate the Google Maps App
This is an advanced trick to fix Google Maps problems. This is because Google Maps must automatically perform compass calibration to detect the directions from current locations.
If the compass calibration isn’t responding automatically, then you should manually perform the compass calibration. And here is how.
- Open the Google Maps app and make sure that the blue circular device location icon is in view.
- Tap the location icon to bring up more information about your current location.
- At the bottom of the screen, tap on the Calibrate Compass button.
How to Add Stops or Extra Destinations to the Current set of Directions in Your Google Maps
We have come a long way to fix Google Maps directions from current location not working problem. Now, you should be able to add a stop or an extra destination to your current list of directions in your Google Maps app settings.
- Tap on the “Google Maps” app on your phone.
- Tap the blue “Go” direction button to the bottom right of the screen.
- Tap where it says “Choose Starting point,” and select “Your Location” and enter your “Destination” in the “Next” column.
- At this point, the Google Maps app will show you the direction from your current location to the address you’ve entered.
- Now, edit “Your Location” by tapping on the box and tap the more options to the top right.
- Tap “Add Stop” from the options.
- In the (B) location, type the new location, or stop and tap “Done.”
- Tap the “Start” button to start navigating the directions you have entered into the Maps.
You can add up to 9 stops. However, in other not to miss your way, make sure that the destinations are arranged accordingly.