I found out that the Facebook auto-generated captions ain’t coherent with videos subtitle on the platform. Apart from that, it turns out to be multiple captions or subtitles if the video was already subtitled. And since Facebook allow users to turn off and turn on video close captions I quickly turn to this option to disable the option from translating videos on my timeline automatically.
Facebook auto-generated captions shown at the top of the video indicate “cc” in a square box. The “cc” in the square box is an indication that Facebook closed caption is enabled on the video and it will auto-generate subtitle for the video with or without translating.
Therefore, for the sake of this guide, I will walk you through how to turn on Facebook auto-generated captions on videos and as well as Facebook live videos.
How to Turn on Facebook Auto-generate Captions on Mobile
The approach to disable closed captions on Facebook videos that are auto-generated on the mobile app is simple and direct. If, suppose you are watching a video and the closed caption is auto-generated. You also want to first confirm that auto-generate closed caption is enabled on the current video that you are watching and is auto-translating.
If the video is auto-translated click on the three horizontal dots and clicks on close captions to turn it off or disable it.
How to Turn off Facebook Auto-generated Captions on Live Videos
If it’s annoying to see auto-generated captions on live events on Facebook you can turn it off in your account. This will not affect other people participating in the live program if you are not the producer. Only the producer can control participant captions from his or her end via the live producer settings.
- Log in to your Facebook account and access live producer. If you are new, you need to set up your Facebook live streaming feature with the live streaming key. See this guide for more detail.
- You will see some options on the left menu. Scroll down until you see your Facebook name and select “Share to a page you manage” from the drop menu.
- If you have more than a Facebook fan page, select the page who closed caption you want to turn off.
- Make sure you are on “Stream Setup” on the navigation and scroll down the dashboard until you get to “Settings.” Here you have three options, these are; stream, viewing, and comment.
- Now, click on “Viewing” and toggle off the blue “auto-generated” caption to grey. This will turn off all auto-generated captions on live videos from this page, videos that are posted on this page, and photos.
Note: It’s not possible to disable the Facebook caption auto-generated feature from the studio switch at the moment. You can only do this through the live producer.
If the Facebook live producer feature isn’t available for you it means that you cannot turn off auto-generated closed captions in your Facebook account and all it pages.
How to Turn off Facebook Captions for All Videos
If you decided to turn off Facebook captions for all videos on your page you should follow this process. Meanwhile, after the process, Facebook captions across all the videos you have on your Facebook page (s), wall, etc will be captionless.
- Go to the Facebook page you want to turn off its Facebook page.
- Go to the “Page” Settings.
- Navigate to and select the “General” tab.
- Click on “Auto-Generated Captions.”
- Choose “Don’t auto-generate captions for uploaded videos.”
- Click on “Save Changes.”
That is all you have to turn to disable or turn off Facebook auto-generated captions on your Facebook page. If you have multiple pages, you need to repeat the same process on all your pages to disable the auto-generated captions from Facebook on the page.
Turn off Auto-Generated Captions for an Individual Video
If you prefer to disable or turn off Facebook auto-generated captions on individual videos instead of disabling it on all your videos here are the steps to take.
- Sign in to your Facebook account.
- Go to “Creation Studio.”
- Choose “Upload Video.”
- Select “Single Video” from the upload video option.
- Select the video you want to upload from your device.
- Select “Captions” on the right side of the Facebook video composer.
- Click on “the Facebook creation studio “Auto-Generate Captions.”
- Turn off the option.
Now, instead of the Facebook algorithm adding Facebook Auto-Generate Captions to all the videos that you upload on the platform, the algorithm will run a background check to confirm whether the captions are turned off or not.
How to Turn Off Auto Captions on Facebook App Android
You can also turn off the Facebook auto captions on the mobile app on your Android phone. So, here we will consider how to turn off auto captions on Facebook app android.
- Go to your Android phone settings.
- Click on “System settings.“
- Select “Accessibility.”
- Click on “Caption Preferences.”
- Toggle the option to grey to turn it off.
Once you disable the caption preferences in your phone settings it will disable auto caption across all apps that auto generate captions without users’ permission on your Android phone.
Note: You can use the search box to search for “Caption” without the quotes to go straight to where the feature to turn off the auto captions feature on your device.
How to Turn Off Auto Captions on Facebook App iPhone
The following steps teach you how to turn off auto captions on Facebook app iPhone and iPad. However, this option isn’t available in the Facebook app for your iPhone. Rather, the feature is available on your iPhone/iPad settings.
Note: This procedure will turn off auto captions on the Facebook app on your iPhone, tablet, and other apps that use the auto captions feature.
- Go to your iPhone settings.
- Choose “General.”
- Click on “Accessibility.”
- Scroll to “Subtitle & captioning.”
- Turn off “Closed Captions + SDH.”
With this setup, your Facebook auto-captions will be disabled on your iPhone and iPad.
How to Turn Off Subtitles on Facebook App
You cannot turn off subtitles on Facebook app mobile at the moment. But you can beckon on your phone feature [captions] under the accessibility option to turn off subtitles on all apps on your phone including the Facebook app.
Note: It’s not advisable to turn off subtitles on your phone using the accessibility feature since it does affect all apps. But if you don’t like your video showing subtitles you can use the feature to turn off auto captions or auto generated captions on your Facebook app.
How to Turn Off Auto-Generated Captions on Facebook App
Follow the steps below to turn off auto-generated captions on Facebook app on your Android and iPhone/iPad respectively.
- Go to your phone settings.
- System settings >> accessibility (Android) or Subtitle & captioning (iPhone/iPad).
- Choose “Caption Preferences (Android users) or Closed Captions + SDH (iPhone/iPad).”
- Turn the feature off.
This will block all auto generated captions on your Facebook app and other apps that auto generate video subtitles.
Facebook auto generated captions or Facebook auto captions can be turned off officially only on the web. But, as for Android and iOS devices you need to use your phone’s inbuilt feature to turn off or block all auto captions.