I found out that the Facebook auto-generated captions ain’t coherent with videos subtitle on the platform. Apart from that, it turns out to be multiple captions or subtitles if the video was already subtitled. And since Facebook allow users to turn off and turn on video close captions I quickly turn to this option to disable the option from translating videos on my timeline automatically.
Facebook auto-generated captions show at the top of the video indicate “cc” in a square box. The “cc” in the square box is an indication that Facebook closed caption is enabled on the video and it will auto-generate subtitle for the video with or without translating.
Therefore, for the sake of this guide, I will walk you through how to turn on Facebook auto-generated captions on videos and as well as Facebook live videos.
Table of Contents
How to Turn on Facebook Auto-generate Captions on Mobile
The approach to disable closed captions on Facebook videos that are auto-generated on the mobile app is simple and direct. If, suppose you are watching a video and the closed caption is auto-generated. You also want to first confirm that auto-generate closed caption is enabled on the current video that you are watching and is auto-translating.
If the video is auto-translated click on the three horizontal dots and click on close captions to turn it off or disable it.
How to Turn off Facebook Auto-generated Captions on Live Videos
If it’s annoying to see auto-generated captions on live events on Facebook you can turn it off in your account. This will not affect other people participating in the live program if you are not the producer. Only the producer can control participant captions from his or her end via the live producer settings.
- Log in to your Facebook account and access live producer. If you are new, you need to set up your Facebook live streaming feature with the live streaming key. See this guide for more detail.
- You will see some options on the left menu. Scroll down until you see your Facebook name and select “Share to a page you manage” from the drop menu.
- If you have more than a Facebook fan page, select the page who closed caption you want to turn off.
- Make sure you are on “Stream Setup” on the navigation and scroll down the dashboard until you get to “Settings.” Here you have three options, these are; stream, viewing, and comment.
- Now, click on “Viewing” and toggle off the blue “auto-generated” caption to grey. This will turn off all auto-generated captions on live videos from this page, videos that are posted on this page, and photos.
Note: It’s not possible to disable the Facebook caption auto-generated feature from the studio switch at the moment. You can only do this through the live producer. If the Facebook live producer feature isn’t available for you it means that you cannot turn off auto-generated closed captions in your Facebook account and all it pages.