Kanopy is a popular on-demand free video streaming service that provides quality movies, documentaries, independent films, and educational videos for public libraries and universities since 2008. It also offers an ad-free streaming experience, and you can stream content on your TV, Mobile phones, Tablets, and so on.
Kanopy app has a different division of contents for kids called the Kanopy Kids. Kanopy is one of the must-have apps for all libraries and Universities all over the World. In this article, you will be introduced to how to activate Kanopy on compatible streaming devices.
Kanopy offers access to close to 30000+ award-winning documentaries, feature, and training films on various topics, including media studies, LBGTQ Studies, Psychology, Environments, Politics, Literature, etc. Some of the well-known titles in Kanopy are A Hard Day’s Night, Hoop Dreams, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, etc. Note that you can also watch content that you are unable to download.
If you love on-demand streaming services, then Kanopy is your spec. The streaming video platform is available for Universities and public libraries that provide critically-approved movies, award-winning foreign films, inspiring documentaries, and many more. In case you wish to get the Kanopy service on your Roku or Android TV or any other smart streaming device, then this post is for you. Read on and learn how to complete the activation process via www.kanopy.com/tv.
You can easily get the login details of your University or library to enjoy movies without ads. Do you want to stream many movies and documentaries for free? Then, all you need to do is sign up with your library card and watch thought-provoking documentaries and other interesting videos. If you are a member of a library collaborating with Kanopy, then the service is free for you (no fees, no commercials). Simply sign up with your library card and begin watching thoughtful entertainment today!
Kanopy also provides children’s programming called Kanopy Kids. Parents can browse educational and engaging videos for children of all ages that promote positive social and emotional development and also inspire creativity in young minds. For your kids at home, you can browse through Kanopy Kids with access to parental controls.
Supported Devices on Kanopy
The following streaming devices are supported by Kanopy. These devices are:
- Android TV
- Apple TV
- Amazon Firestick or Fire TV
Activate Kanopy on Roku via www.kanopy.com/tv
To download and activate Kanopy on Roku, you will have to follow the easy steps stated below:
- Turn on your Roku device. Ensure it is connected to your TV via an HDMI port. (It must be connected to the best Internet service in your area).
- Use your Roku remote control to navigate to the home screen menu.
- Go to Streaming Channels by scrolling down with the remote.
- Now select Search Channels.
- You can now get access to the Search button. Type Kanopy in the search box.
- The Kanopy app will be displayed on the screen, telling you to install it.
- Tap on the Add channel button to add the channel or app to your Roku device.
- Return to the home screen by selecting the Go to Channel.
- A system-generated activation code will be displayed (It’s usually a 4-digit code).
- Aside from the code, you will also get the official activation link, i.e. kanopy.com/tv.
- Save the code somewhere and copy the link or type it on another smart device browser (Ensure this device is also connected to the same Wi-Fi as your Roku device.)
- Enter the activation code and tap on the Next button.
- Enter the correct details if prompted and finish the activation process.
Activate Kanopy on Android TV via www.kanopy.com/tv
Below is how you can download and activate Kanopy on Android TV. Follow the steps below:
- Switch on your Android TV and navigate to the home screen.
- Go to the Play Store, type Kanopy in the search box (with the aid of the virtual keyboard), and tap the Install button.
- The Kanopy app will be installed on your Android TV.
- Return to the home screen on your Android TV device and search for the app.
- Find it and set up the Kanopy app.
- An activation code will be generated. Write down the 4-digit code somewhere before leaving the screen to get your phone.
- Navigate to kanopy.com/tv on a different device and enter the activation code.
- Tap on the Next button and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Enter the details prompted and complete the process easily.
Now, your Android TV is ready to cast Kanopy movies and documentaries seamlessly.
Activate Kanopy on Apple TV
Apple TV is another well-known platform to stream your favorite movies and shows with your friends and family from the comfort of your home. In case you use an Apple TV, you should already know how to add a new service. However, if you purchased the device recently and you don’t know how to activate Kanopy on Apple TV, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Go to the home screen and open the App Store.
- In the Search box, type the name of the app, Kanopy.
- The Kanopy app will be displayed on the screen from the search results.
- Click on the Get button.
- This will help add the channel to your Apple TV device.
- Immediately the app is installed, you need to set it up by clicking on the app.
- A 4-digit activation code will be displayed (Save this code somewhere).
- Now access the official activation link, www.kanopy.com/tv on your PC or Smartphone.
- On this page, you will need to enter the activation code in the appropriate box.
- Ensure you do not make any mistakes while entering the code in the box.
- Click the Next button to finish the process.
Now, you have the entire process of how to activate Kanopy on your Apple TV without any stress.
Airplay Kanopy on Apple TV
You can also airplay Kanopy on your Apple TV in case you have an older version or brand of Apple TV. No worries, just follow the steps below to stream captivating movies and interesting TV shows:
- Select a movie from the Kanopy iOS app and play it.
- Click on the Airplay icon at the top right of the screen.
- Choose the Apple TV which you want to connect.
- Tap Done on your iOS device after the movie has started playing on your TV.
- Closed caption and subtitles (if available though) can be guided using the symbol located at the right side of the Airplay icon.
- Click on the Airplay icon again and choose your mobile device to switch off Airplay.
Activate Kanopy on Chromecast
In case you are making use of the iOS/Android app before you can start casting, double-check on the below:
- Ensure your Chromecast device is connected to the same WiFi network as your smartphone or tablet.
- You must have a valid library subscription.
- Ensure you are logged in to the Kanopy app on your Smartphone or tablet.
- Choose the Chromecast device connected to your TV by clicking the “Cast” button at the top right corner of the screen.
- “Ready to cast” will be displayed on your TV screen after the connection has been established.
- You can begin watching a movie on the app, and it will be displayed on your TV screen via Chromecast.
In case you are making use of a computer before you can start casting, double-check the below:
- Ensure your computer is connected to the same WiFi network as your Chromecast device, and you’re using the Chrome browser.
- You must have a valid library subscription.
- Make sure you are logged in to your Kanopy account.
- Play a movie to access the video player options.
- The Cast icon will be displayed at the video player’s bottom right corner.
- The film will start playing on your TV after clicking the Cast icon and selecting your Chromecast device.
- Note that this emblem will only appear if you’re using the Chrome browser.
Activate Kanopy on Amazon Fire TV
Another popular streaming device that you can stream Kanopy on is the Amazon Fire TV stick or Firestick. Follow the steps below to activate Kanopy on Fire TV:
- Switch on your Amazon Fire TV and open the main screen.
- Tap the Home icon button using your Amazon Fire TV remote to get to the home screen.
- On the home screen of your Amazon Fire TV, click on the Find option located at the middle of the menu option of the home screen.
- Enter Kanopy in the search field on the next screen using the virtual keypad provided on the screen
- Verify the entry to get the search result.
- From the search results, select Kanopy. The preview screen of the application will be displayed.
- Choose the Install option from the preview screen and wait for the Kanopy application to get installed on your Fire TV.
- After installation on your Amazon Fire TV, tab the Open option on the preview screen to launch it. You can also launch the application by returning to the home screen.
- After setting up the Kanopy application on your Fire TV, an activation code along with activation instructions will be displayed on your screen.
- If prompted to sign in to the app, ensure to log into your account to get the activation code.
- Open a web browser on your PC or Smartphone, and go to the activation page of Kanopy using the URL- kanopy.com/tv.
- You will be prompted to enter the activation code on the activation page in the provided field and click on Next and you will be directed to the next screen.
- Follow the on-screen instructions on the next screen to complete the activation process of Kanopy on Fire TV.
- Now, you will be able to access the Kanopy TV on your Amazon Fire TV seamlessly.
Can’t Activate Kanopy? Try these Fixes!
In case you are experiencing some difficulties in activating Kanopy on your streaming devices, try the following fixes below:
Buffering on a video
In case you have a video buffering problem or a film is not playing, follow the troubleshooting tips below:
- Check your Internet connection
- An Internet speed of at least 5Mbps for an HD stream is recommended. In case your connection is less than the required speed, try moving closer to your router, or move your router to a more central location, or connect your computer directly to your modem.
- Upgrade your browser or try another one
- Try and update your browser to the latest version or use another browser entirely. Here is a list of compatible web browser versions for desktop and laptop computers as well as mobile devices to stream Kanopy seamlessly:
- Google Chrome: Version 75 and above.
- Opera: Version 52 and above.
- Internet Explorer: Version 11.
- Microsoft Edge: Version 12 and above.
- Safari: Version 8 and above.
- Mozilla Firefox: version 47 and above
- Empty your browser cache
- In case you have so many items stored in your cache, you may experience some delay when trying to stream.
- Restart your streaming device
- Doing a restart of your device can fix a whole lot of issues you may be running into. Try switching your device completely off, then power it back on and return to Kanopy.
If you feel the problem has to do with the video itself, kindly report the issue to Kanopy.
When adding your library card number to your Kanopy account, you may come across some errors if the wrong information was entered or if something on your library account is preventing you from accessing Kanopy. Below are the common error messages you encounter:
- Requested record not found
- You get this message if the library card number entered does not exist at the library. Kindly double-check that the library card number that was entered is accurate, and be sure you are entering it into the correct library.
- Invalid patron PIN
- This depicts a different PIN that has been entered in your Kanopy account rather than the one that has been set up at your library. Ensure to double-check the PIN you have entered and try again.
- In case you’ve forgotten your PIN or you have never even set up a PIN for your library card, it’s important to contact your library so they can help you recover it. Frequently, the library website also offers tools to reset your PIN electronically.
- Note that your library card PIN will likely be different from the password you have used to set up your Kanopy account.
- Your library card is not authorized to be used with Kanopy
- You get this message typically when your library card does not allow access to Kanopy. Make sure it’s not due to fines, the type of card you have, or an expired library account. However, the best way to discover more information is to contact your library. They will be able to pull up your library account and tell you the reason why you can’t access Kanopy and provide solutions on how to resolve this.
- Looks like this library card is registered already with an existing Kanopy account (e***l@g****.com). Kindly check your email address and try again.
- This error usually occurs when your library card number has already been added to another Kanopy account. You will be given a clue as to what email address the account is using in the error message.
- To resolve the issue, log out of the account that you are presently signed into and log in using the email address that was provided in the error message. After logging in using the correct email address, you will be able to continue watching films on Kanopy.
- In case the email address displayed does not belong to you and you suspect someone may be using your library card number, Kindly contact Kanopy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Your Library card/password is not recognized, or your account blocked
- Depending on how your library’s authentication with Kanopy, this message can mean any of the above but you need to get the specified issue. If you are sure you are entering the correct library card number and PIN and you are still receiving this error message, it’s best to contact your library to learn to get information about the cause of the problem.
- Note that after adding your library card number to your Kanopy account, your information is cross-checked against your library’s authentication system. It’s impossible to manually validate any library memberships without going through your library’s authentication.
I hope this article has shown you different ways to activate Kanopy on different compatible streaming devices. Now you can stream your favorite videos, educative documentaries, and a lot more interesting content from the comfort of your home. I’m sure the troubleshooting tips listed above also solved any issue regarding the activation of Kanopy on your device. Let’s know the area where this article came in handy for you below in the comment section. For a related article, click here to read more.