Add your favorite channels on Roku with the professional guide in this article, as you are on the verge of having your favorites at your tip!
Roku has become one of the most popular and profitable streaming platforms for viewers in the highly competitive subscription streaming services market. You can use it to configure almost every channel available worldwide and even set up personalized broadcasts. You can also download dedicated apps for the web streaming platform to enjoy your favorite web content right on your TV.
With a multitude of channels and services, you will inevitably be forced to hunt for your favorite channel every time you sign up for Roku, which can be a chore. Fortunately, Roku lets you add favorite channels and apps to a special list for easy access. Let’s see how to add Roku to your favorites.
If you know you’re reading this article, you’ll want to add or access your favorite channels on Roku, too, right? Incredible. Sit back and read on to learn all about accessing your favorite channels on Roku.
Just like your smartphone has an “App Store” to install new apps, you must visit the Roku Channel Store on your Roku Streaming Player to add new “Channels.” In Roku lingo, apps are called channels for your TV. Some of the most popular channels on Roku are Netflix, NOW TV, Sky Store, All4, Demand5, and STV.
In addition to movies and TV shows, the Roku Channel Store offers help setting up Roku to access music channels like Vevo and Spotify and media channels, games, and more.
Table of Contents
How to Add Favorites on Roku
Roku has changed the way you add channels to your favorites list. This is mainly due to a feature that Roku is now bringing to its users. Previously, Roku automatically added its most-watched channels to its favorites list, which was tedious for users who wanted to choose their menu. Roku now offers you the option of deactivating the automatic addition of channels to the favorites list. Because of this, the procedure for adding channels to the favorites list has changed. Let’s take a look at how to do it.
Sep-by-step To Add Favorites on Roku
- Start your Roku device and go to your TV provider to see all the channels currently available. Select the Instructions tab above for a full list.
- Now browse the list and find the channel you want to add to your favorites list. Press “OK” on your Roku remote to begin.
- You will now see a right sidebar with information and various options for the channel. Highlight and select “Favorite Channel”. Now press “OK” on your Roku remote control.
- The channel should now be automatically added to your favorites list.
- The “Favorite Channel” option is not available to me.
If “Favorite Channel” doesn’t appear when you select a particular channel, this feature is likely disabled on your Roku device. Follow the instructions below to enable it again.
- From the home screen, select and open “Settings” on your Roku device. Now select “TV inputs”.
- Select the input you are currently using with your Roku device. In most cases, you will be using a TV antenna. Therefore, optionally select “TV”.
- You will now see the available settings for your TV antenna. Scroll down and select “Favorite Channels”.
- Check the box next to Enable Favorite Channels by clicking OK on your remote control. Favorite channels are now activated for your Roku device.
- Now return to the home screen, and you should be able to add favorite channels to your list using the guide above.
- Note: If you’re using an old Roku device, you may need to restart it before the changes take effect, and you won’t be able to add favorite channels.
- You should now be able to add favorite channels to your Roku device easily.
Add Popular Channels on Roku During Setup.
When you activate your Roku streaming device, you’ll need to link it to a Roku account. After creating your account and entering the link code, you will have the option to add popular channels directly from the website.
If you set up a channel and then decide you don’t want it, you can remove it from your Roku device.
Note: Some channels offer a free trial (e.g., a 7-day free trial). However, at the end of a free trial, the channel becomes a regular subscription, and you will be billed regularly. To avoid this, cancel your subscription before the trial period ends.
Add Channels to your Roku Sevice.
Yesterday Roku launched version 4.0 of its Android and iOS apps. New features include a lifelike on-screen remote, a New tab for finding content to watch, and an even better channel screen for quick one-click access to your favorites.
After the update, you’ll find that this screen more or less duplicates your Roku’s home screen, with all of your favorite channels arranged in a grid:
You may also find that there is no obvious way to rearrange these icons. You can use Roku Device Assistance or press and hold one of these buttons to access that channel’s options (delete, rate, etc.). However, if you want to change one, you are out of luck.
There is a workaround, however: you have to move the channels to your own Roku. (In other words, not in the app). If you are unfamiliar with this process, here’s how it works:
- Step 1: Find the channel you want to move, say HBO Now, and use your remote to highlight it. (Don’t select it, hover over it to highlight it.)
- Step 2: Press the Options button on your remote (it looks like an asterisk) and then select Move Channel.
- Step 3: Now, use the directional pad to move the icon where you want it and watch others move as you go.
- Step 4: Once you’ve set the venue, press OK to complete the process. Repeat if necessary.
The changes are applied to the app almost immediately. (If not, you may have to close and restart it.) This also works for removing channels, by the way. As shown above, you can do this in the app by long-pressing the channel icon.
There’s only one exception: you can’t move or remove the two “sponsored” channels above.
Roku is a great internet TV streaming device. I get a lot about how to move channels around on the main home screen to group them.
How to Move Channels to my Roku Streaming Device?
Once you’ve added a channel from the Roku Chain Store, a square tile with a channel icon will be added to the channel tile grid that appears on the main screen of your Roku streaming player under “Home” under “Home”. Scroll down, and you will find the newly installed channel at the bottom of the grid. You can move the channel to another location if you want.
Follow the instructions below if you want to move the channel to a new location on your home screen.
- Press the Home button on your Roku remote.
- Press the OK button or the right direction button to access your channel list. The directional pad is shaped and is located in the center of your Roku remote control.
- Use the directional pad to mark the miniature view of the channel that you want to move.
- Press the Home button on your Roku remote to open the options menu.
- Choose Move Channel
- Move the channel with the directional pad and press the OK button when you are satisfied with the new position.
Note: When you move a channel tile, the change only applies to the Roku device that you are currently using. Changes will not be synced to other Roku devices in your Roku account.
If you need to simplify the list of preferred channels, contact Roku support.