VLC is one of the most popular software to watch and stream videos and audio on Windows and Mac computers because with the VLC media player you can play all video and audio formats without any limitation. However, the new VLC feature now allows users to cast the streaming app or software to Chromecast. Therefore, in this guide, we will discuss how to cast VLC to Chromecast.
While it’s quite easy to cast VLC to Chromecast you will be limited or restricted from casting from VLC to your Chromecast if your Chromecast is connected to a VPN. Therefore, before you proceed, with the steps that we are going to discuss on how you can cast your VLC media player to your VPN ensure to turn off or disable the Chromecast VPN.
Most importantly, if you are casting from your Windows to Chromecast or Mac to Chromecast or even casting VLC from your Android phone or iPhone to your Chromecast you must ensure that both devices are connected to the same WiFi.
As of the time of writing this article, you can only cast your VLC media player to your Chromecast only if you are using the latest version of the VLC media player.
However, you can either check for the latest update or check whether you are running the latest VLC media player that let users cast their VLC screen to their Chromecast on the same WiFi.
How to Update VLC Media Players
You need to run the latest VLC media players to be able to use the VLC cast feature. Therefore, we will consider how to update your VLC media players to the latest version in this section.
- Launch the VLC media player.
- Click on “Help” on the navigation.
- Click on “Check for Update.”
- The VLC will connect to the internet to check for the latest firmware or software update.
- If there is an update available you will be prompted to download and install it otherwise you will see a popup that you are running the latest firmware.
Once your VLC firmware or software is updated then we can proceed with the simple steps to take to cast your VLC media player screen on your Windows or Mac to your Chromecast device.
How to Cast VLC to Chromecast on Windows 10
You can easily cast your VLC screen on Windows 10 to your Chromecast provided both devices are on the same WiFi.
- Open the “VLC” media player by double-clicking on the VLC icon on your desktop or use the search box to search for the media player and open it.
- Click on “Playback” on the navigation and choose “Renderer” after which you then need to click on the “Scan.”
- Once you choose scan you just need to hang on for the VLC device to start scanning for the available Chromecast device.
- Once the Chromecast device is detected the name of the device will come up and if it doesn’t click on the scan tab again to rescan for the available Chromecast device. However, in case your Chromecast device isn’t discoverable, check whether your Chromecast and the Windows 10 device is connected to the same WiFi.
- However, if both your Windows PC and Chromecast are on the same network yet your device cannot detect the Chromecast for mirroring or casting, just follow the steps below.
- Click on “Tools” on the VLC media navigation.
- Scroll down and choose “Message.”
- Click on the “Verbosity” drop menu and choose “debug 2.”
- Open the video or audio you want to cast to your Chromecast from the VLC software.
- If a warning appears with “Insecure Site” click on “View Certificate” and accept the option “permanently” to avoid future occurrences.
With this, the Chromecast screen will take instruction from the VLC software via your Windows 10/11 and display the information on the VLC device using the mirror or cast feature via the VLC render function.
How to Cast VLC to Mac
The process to cast the VLC media player on Mac to Chromecast is similar but since the OS isn’t the same and the software configuration is different then the steps to cast VLC to Windows will not be directly the same as the method to take to cast VLC to Mac.
Therefore, to cast your VLC media player on your Mac to your Chromecast ensure that you follow the steps below.
- Go to your Mac application folder and launch the “VLC media player.”
- Go to the “Apple Menu bar” and click on “Playback.” In case the VLC Playback feature isn’t showing ensure that you click on the “VLC App” before you choose the playback option.
- Scroll down once the Playback function is active and hover your mouse to “Renderer” and if there is a renderer available such as your Chromecast name it will appear once the renderer menu opens.
- Then, click on the name of Chromecast and open the video or audio you want to cast from your VLC media player to your Chromecast device.
However, if your Chromecast device is missing in the renderer menu ensure that the device and your Mac computer are connected to the same WiFi or Hotspot to be able to identify it.
The steps above explain how to cast VLC to Chromecast on Window and Mac computer. If you are facing any glitch kindly leave a comment below.