Ring camera is one of our favourites and we have discussed a lot it on this site. You can widen your understanding of Ring doorbell in this article. Here in this particular article, we will be specific on how to fix your ring doorbell if your ring won’t connect to WiFi.
It’s expected that your Ring doorbell is connected to your WiFi to have control over it via your mobile phone using the ring mobile app as the means of communication over WiFi.
But, if there is a lack of communication between the needed devices you won’t be able to control your ring doorbell over your phone.
So, in this article, you will learn how to fix the ring doorbell not connecting to your WiFi.
Why your Ring Won’t Connect to WiFi
A few reasons could stop your ring doorbell from connecting to your WiFi which you need to find out and resolve. Since there are different reasons why your ring won’t work with your internet service as expected then we will state some of the reasons below.
1. Your WiFi and Ring doorbell is not compatible due to network brands. If either of your devices is using the old network brand, 2.4GHz and the other is using 5GHz which is the newest network technology the devices many not be able to communicate using the network.
2. If there is a network issue your router and ring doorbell won’t be able to connect to each other. While there isn’t much to do in this case, you may simply need to reset the router to default and see if it works fine and can connect to your ring doorbell.
3. Place your ring doorbell and Wi-Fi closer to each other to override any object that is trying to block your network’s signal strength. Your doorbell may find it difficult to connect to your WiFi if the signal strength is weak or poor.
4. If none of the suggestions above is the reason why your ring doorbell and Wi-Fi ain’t connecting then you may need to set up the ring once again.
5. If your ring doorbell is broken the components might stop working thereby affecting the doorbell from connecting to your WiFi. If this happens, you may need to change or replace your ring doorbell.
These are the likely reasons why your ring doorbell won’t connect to your WiFi. And since we can state which of the reasons why your ring isn’t connecting to your WiFi, it’s better to go through the entire troubleshooting tips that we will be sharing with you below until your ring is connected to your Wi-Fi.
How to Fix Ring Won’t Connect to WiFi
Below are the few steps to take to troubleshoot your ring doorbell if it won’t connect to your WiFi.
1. Coldboot your WiFi
The first step to take when your ring doorbell couldn’t find your WiFi is to cold boot it. Yes, this will clear the device’s memory and return it to normal.
- Unplug your WiFi from the power source.
- Wait for about 30 seconds or more.
- Plug the wireless network cable into the power source.
- Turn it on.
Now, wait for the WiFi to get stable and connect your ring doorbell to it to see if it will connect. If it does you can focus on something else otherwise check out the next troubleshooting tips.
Reset your WiFi
The process to reset my WiFi might be different from the process to reset your WiFi if they are not the same manufacturer. So, if the method that I will share with you to reset my WiFi here didn’t work for you then I will admonish you to refer to your WiFi manual and see how to reset it to the default settings.
- Turn on the router or plug it in and turn it on.
- Locate the router reset pinhole [around the router].
- Insert a paperclip or SIM injector into the reset hole and press and hold it for about 15 seconds.
- Wait for the router to reset and reset.
Once the reset is complete the router will restart from the box. All pre-configured information will be deleted. The router name will change to default if you have changed it.
Recommended: How to Change Router Name
Try to connect your ring doorbell to the Wi-Fi and see if you can. If still cannot then try the next tips.
Reset your Ring Doorbell to Default
There is no general approach to resetting your ring doorbell since the doorbell is not all the same. Your doorbell version might be different from the one at our disposal. Therefore, to reset your ring doorbell it’s advisable to check out the user manual.
- Press and hold down the ring doorbell orange button for 20 seconds.
- Release the reset button.
- Your doorbell will restart after the light in the front flashes a couple of times.
- Wait for the ring doorbell to complete restart… this might take a few minutes.
Once the reset is complete – then, put the doorbell in set-up mode by firmly pressing and releasing the orange button at the back.
Connect your Ring to your WiFi
Once you have reset your ring doorbell the next thing is to attempt to connect the doorbell to your WiFi. If nothing is wrong with your WiFi network you shouldn’t have a problem connecting your ring doorbell to it.
Note: You need to install the official ring doorbell on your phone to do this.
- Launch the ring doorbell app on your phone.
- Click on the menu at the top left.
- Click on “Device.”
- Select your “Doorbell” from the list.
- Choose “Device Health.”
- Click “Reconnect to WiFi” or “Change WiFi Network.”
- Enter the “WiFi Password.”
Once your WiFi password is correct you will be connected to the WiFi and that is all.
It can be frustrating if you can’t connect your ring doorbell or ring security camera to your WiFi. But; with these troubleshooting tips, you should be able to fix your ring won’t connect to WiFi.