Good news! You can now make phone calls on your Windows 10. This is possible because Microsoft recently rolled out a new update to the “Your Phone app on Windows 10”. This new update came with a new Call feature to the app. Fortunately, you can now make phone calls directly from your computer.
Although the calls will still be made using your phone, though, via your Phone app. Are you confused? Well “Your Phone” is an app found on all Windows 10 PCs, and if you don’t have it, you can download it from the Microsoft Store. Another app called Your Phone Companion is also available for download on Android.
With the app installed on your phone as well as your PC, you can set it up as a bridge between the two devices. Once you do so, you can start making and managing phone calls from your Windows 10 computer. Although, the way it works is different from other calling apps for your PC as it does a few other things other than to allow you to make phone calls from your PC. Stick around with us, and we will show you how it works.
How to Make Phone Calls on Windows 10
Before we show you how you can make phone calls from your computer, you need to set up the Your Phone app. Once you have successfully set up the app, just follow the simple instructions below.
- Connect your phone to your PC using Bluetooth.
- Then, launch the Your Phone app on your Windows 10 PC.
- Click on the new call option on the left column of the screen.
- Then, select the Get started button and set up phone calls for your computer.
- After this, click on the Setup button.
- You will then receive a notification on your Android phone from the Your Phone Companion app.
- In the notification, click on Open, then you will be prompted to allow the Your Phone Companion app to turn on your Bluetooth if you don’t already have it on already.
- Allow the Bluetooth permission to make phone calls from your computer, and you will receive a pairing prompt on your Android smartphone and your Windows PC.
- Ensure you check the box on your phone to allow access to your contacts and call history over Bluetooth.
- Then, click the pair on your phone and your PC.
You can also pair your phone and PC manually from the Bluetooth settings if that is more convenient for you.
Make Calls From Your Windows Computer
Once you have paired the devices, you will still need to click on a couple of things to start making phone calls from your computer. Follow the steps below to get it started.
- In the calls page on the Your Phone app on your PC, select the Send permission icon.
- Then, send the phone call permission from your computer to your phone.
- You will then receive a similar notification on your phone like you did earlier.
- Select open and then select allow.
- You will then see your recent call history on the calls page along with the dialler.
- Following this, when you try to make a call, you will be asked to allow your PC to make calls.
- Just click on open settings, and in the settings page, turn on the toggle.
You are now ready to make and manage phone calls directly from your PC. When you receive a call, you will see the notification appear on your PC. The notification will give you the option to either answer or reject the call. You can even go as far as sending it to voicemail.
However, you should keep in mind that your phone needs to be connected via Bluetooth for this to work. That is, your computer now acts as a Bluetooth headset for your phone. Although your computer can do a whole lot more than a Bluetooth headset, you will also need an external mic attached if your computer or laptop doesn’t have one built-in.
Also, read on how to enable dark mode on Windows 10 here.
While we often hear about the Apple ecosystem and how Apple devices work together, Microsoft has also tried a similar approach by making devices themselves. From phones to smart bands, it was not quite successful. It is a good thing that the company now has a new approach, which, frankly, seems more likely to succeed.
Microsoft has now partnered with other companies to make Windows work better with their devices. In the same way, Microsoft is also working on making your smartphone work better with Windows 10. The Your Phone app on Windows 10 is evidence of that.
You can now sync your notifications, receive and send SMS messages, and view photos from your phone with the Your Phone app. The best part is that you can now make phone calls directly from your PC following the steps outlined above.