Since you can connect Alexa with different brands of tech appliances like your TV, Smartphone e.t.c. It’s also possible to connect it to Your iPhone device and play Apple Music on your Alexa Speaker seamlessly.
Apple owns HomePod (which is a smart speaker) while Amazon owns Alexa Echo show (which is also a smart speaker that comes in different forms).
Since they are both competitors, it is surprising that they’ve come together to give competing brands access to their smart speakers.
This means, if you are using an Apple device, you can play your apple music on Alexa speaker or any Alexa enabled device.
In this article, I will be talking about how you can set up and play your Apple music on an Alexa speaker
How to Set up Apple Music on your Alexa Speaker
Note: An Active Apple Music subscription is required to play music from your Apple Playlist on Alexa. in addition to that, make sure your Alexa App is updated to the latest version
Moving forward. To set up Apple Music on your Alexa you need to follow these steps:
- Launch your Alexa app (if you don’t have one you can get it from the Apple Store or Play Store)
- Now, tap the “hamburger icon” at the top left corner of the app.
- On the drop-down menu, locate “Settings” and tap on it.
- Now, navigate to “Music & Podcast” and tap it
- On the “Music & Podcast” menu scroll down to “Link devices” and tap on it.
- Now, Scroll until you find the “Apple Music icon” from the list and choose it
- After doing that, taps “Enable to Use” (this will connect your Apple music Account to your Alexa app
- After doing that you will be required to sign in with your “Apple ID” and “Password” (In case you don’t know your Apple ID and Password anymore you can check out this guide from apple over here.
- Now, Select “allow” then tap “close”
Apart from using the Settings Menu to locate where to link your Apple music to Alexa, Do you know you can also carry out the same process using “Amazon skill.” To play Apple Music on an Alexa Echo show speaker, here’s how to do that
How to Set Up Apple Music on Alexa with a skill
It is almost the same as the initial process, the only thing that differs is how you end up linking “Apple Music ” to Alexa.
Follow these steps to learn how to Set it up using the Alexa skill
- Launch the Alexa app on your iPhone
- Now locate “more” at the bottom right corner and tap on it
- On the next screen, click on “Skills and games“
- You will see a search bar at the top right corner, click on it and type “Apple Music“
- From the search results, once you see “Apple Music” tap on it.
- Now, click on the “Enable to use” button under it
- And Tap “settings”
- Now, select “Link Account” and sign in with your Apple ID and Password
Once you are done with this you only have to go to Menu > Settings > Music & Podcast > Default Service and select “Apple Music” to change it to the default music list.
Apart from playing your Apple Music with your Alexa Speaker, Little did you know that you can also stream and play Apple music using Alexa.
It’s fairly easy, and in case you want to stream, here is how to go about it.
The steps below will require that you have an Echo Show device.
Now to set it up for streaming Follow these steps
Set Apple Music as a default streaming service – you can easily do that by going to Menu > Settings > Music & Podcast > Default Settings and changing it from Amazon to “Apple Music“
Note: the Playlist in Apple music can’t play anywhere except on Apple iTunes.|
This is so, due to the file format, However, you can select your favorite music and convert it into a normal music file and then send it to your amazon playlist.
But, before you can convert your iTunes Playlist into a file format that can work anywhere.
You need to use some third-party apps to do that.
And one of the recommended third-party apps you can use is Dump Media Apple Music Converter.
You can get this software for Mac Here, For windows users, you can get it here.Instead of linking your Apple music to Amazon Alexa, you can also convert the Apple Music to a certain file format that can naturally play anywhere, especially on Amazon music, It’s as simple and easy to do, you only need to follow these simple steps
How to Play Apple Music on your Alexa Speaker using Third-Party Apps – Dump Media
- First and Foremost, Launch your Dumpster app
- After it has been launched, navigate to the library menu and tick on the music
- Now, you will see all the songs, stored in your iTunes library
- Next, Tick the songs you want to convert and download.
- After selecting the songs, perform adjustment to change the desired output to a normal music format like MP3.
Note: Since apple songs are Apple Music songs are DRM protected, users will find it impossible to download the songs directly and have them played on another unauthorized device
Moving forward, on the “Apple Music converter software” you will also be allowed to edit other options such as the bit rate and sample rate
- Now, specify the output path and the target location where you will save the converted files.
- once you’ve completed the adjustment, simply click on the “convert button” usually at the bottom corner of the screen
- As soon as the files are converted you will be able to upload the converted music to “my Music” on amazon from your Mac PC
- After uploading, you can ask “amazon to play that converted Apple music on your amazon echo device
If you follow these steps, your converted “apple Music” would be able to play on your amazon echo device since it’s no more DRM protected.
in the steps below we will talk about how to use voice commands to play your Apple Music on Alexa if you are playing it directly from your apple library
How to Ask Alexa to play your Apple music
To ask Alexa to play your apple music you have to say commands like these:
- say – “Alexa, play [song name] on Apple Music”
Now, it could be stressful saying “apple Music” every time so to change that simply make “Apple music ” as your default playlist” and to do that you can follow the instructions below.
Learn How to Change Alexa’s Wake Word in this complete article.
How to Set up Apple Music as your default music service
To change the default settings:
- Launch your Alexa app
- Now, Click the “hamburger icon” at the top left corner
- On the menu, navigate to “settings” and tap on it
- On the “Settings Menu” locate and tap on “Music & Podcast”
- Under settings, click on default services and change it to “apple music”
- After you have successfully done this you may simply use commands like “Alexa, play [song name]”
Now, we’ve set up apple music by linking it in the settings menus. but it is not limited to these another easier way is to use Bluetooth
And, here is how to do that:
How to use Bluetooth to play Apple Music on an Alexa
Since Alexa has no problem processing music from a smartphone device using Bluetooth, as long as a device has a smartphone houses Bluetooth connecting to Alexa shouldn’t be an issue.
To connect your iPhone to Alexa here’s how to do it using Bluetooth:
- First and foremost. ON the Bluetooth on your iPhone (Make sure it is in pairing mode)
- Also ensure your Echo show device is also in Bluetooth pairing mode ( To achieve this simply say “Alexa, pair” and She will say, “Searching”)
- while doing that, make sure your device is near your Alexa device,
- Now, the go-to “Bluetooth on your iPhone and look for the “amazon device”
- don’t need to go through this again, you can simply connect it directly.
- In a scenario where Alexa can’t find your iPhone, make sure your Bluetooth is on and also You might have to any other accessories close by that uses Bluetooth to get the right connection
- Once you’ve seen it tap on it (give it a few seconds)
- Since you’ve been able to pair it with your echo show device or any Alexa enabled device, you won’t need to go through this process again.
- After doing all that, GO to your iTunes or go to your Apple Music app and play any music you like.
If you do everything correctly, your songs will start playing out on your echo device
How To Disconnect Apple Music From Alexa
Once you are done you can simply disconnect it by simply saying – Alexa, disconnect from iPhone
Below are Apple Music commands, you can use with Alexa
Apple Music Commands You can use with Alexa
Now, that you’ve figured out how to play Apple Music on Alexa Speaker, here is a list of commands you can use to control Alexa.
- Alexa, play (Artist name)
- Alexa, play (Album title) album
- Alexa, play (Album title) album by (Artist name)
- Alexa, play my playlist (Playlist name)
- Alexa, shuffle my playlist (Playlist name)
- Alexa, play Flash Radio
- Alexa, what song is this
Connecting your Apple devices such as your iPhone or iPad is now possible as shown in the post above, you can possess a HomePod or an Amazon Alexa device like echo show and still have the chance to play your favorite music on Alexa speaker.
This collaboration has made it possible, and it is not limited to Apple phones alone, you can use any android smartphone by connecting it to your Alexa app.
In case you are facing any challenge setting up your Alexa speaker you should check out this post here