Did you open the Gmail app on your smartphone or even your PC and you are bombarded with random adverts in your Gmail account? Well, it can be annoying and time-wasting especially when you need to respond to an urgent mail. So, in this article, we will discuss steps on how to remove ads in Gmail on Android, iOS, and PC.
Gmail is one of the best email services available that provide an array of amazing features that make communication more efficient and ideal. However, one feature that usually annoys users is the combined ads that pop up from time to time while interrupting an otherwise smooth experience.
Gmail displays ads based on the information gathered from users’ searches, such as emails, search history, and other activities. Typically, these advertisements appear on the right side of the Gmail page on PC and at the top of your Gmail page on mobile.
In case you are one of such users who is searching for a way how to remove ads in Gmail, then you are in the right place and we’ve got you covered.
At the same time, if you don’t want to get rid of your Gmail advert you can reduce the number, so, following the steps in the article, we will take a look at how you can get rid of the ads as well as how you can customize it.
Why Am I Getting Ads in Gmail
Let’s first understand why you keep getting ads in your Gmail before moving on to the solutions. The primary source of income for Google, the company that created Gmail, is advertising.
Therefore, they use their platforms, including Gmail, to offer targeted adverts based on your browsing history and choices. Although, you still have control over what you see and you can choose to block the ads if they do not interest you.
Ads showing up in your Gmail inbox can be a nuisance. But, they also generate money for Google, which is why they are showing up in your account. Google makes customized ads that are pertinent to your interests using data it has collected about you, such as the content of emails you have sent and received so far.
This generates income for Google while also assisting to create a personalized experience. Both personalized ads and all other ads in your Gmail account can be completely disabled.
So, with these options available, we will analyze how to get rid of ads in Gmail and how you can easily customize or personalize your Gmail ads.
How to Remove Ads in Gmail
There are a few methods available to get rid of or remove ads from your Google Gmail account. So, we will discuss all possible methods you can exercise to limit and permanently remove Gmail ads from your account in this section.
Change Google Ad Personalization Settings
- Go to Google’s Ad Settings page at https://adssettings.google.com.
- Log in with the active Google account you use for Gmail in case you are not already signed in.
- Once you are logged in, click on the Personalization Ads toggle button in the top right corner.
- You will see a popup with the option to “Turn Off” ads at the bottom right. If you choose to turn off personalized ads, it will delete all preferences you made in the ads centre
Although it won’t fully stop adverts, it will stop them from being personalized. This indicates that Google will no longer customize the ads you see using your data.
How to Customize Ads in Gmail
You can customize the Gmail ads in your Gmail ads center. So, with the steps below you will learn all the steps to take to customize ads display in your Gmail account.
- Go to the Gmail ads center.
- Sign in with the Gmail account you want to remove ads from.
- Click on “Customize Ads” on the left pane.
- Click on “Topic” and click on “-” on all the topics you don’t want to see in your Gmail ads. Once you remove the topic you’d see a popup at the bottom left with “You will see less ads on this topic.”
- Click on “Sensitive” and be surreal that the following brands are turned off. But if you want them to show as ads in your Gmail there is no need to turn them off.
- Click on “Brand” and “Trending/Recent” in the “Filter” tab. You can also sort by “Most seen/Most recent. Now, click on the negative icon to remove the brand from your Gmail ads list.
If you follow the steps above you will be able to customize how ads are shown in your Gmail account. However, this might not stop Google from showing ads in your Gmail but it will reduce the number of ads that they are showing.
How to Get Rid of Ads in Gmail
Google allows you to control the information they use in generating ads that display in your Gmail account. So, here we will take a look at how to get rid of ads in Gmail by controlling the information that Google is using.
- Go to the Google Gmail ads control center and sign into your account with your Gmail and password
- Click on “Manage Privacy.”
- In the “Control the info used for ads” scroll down to “Categories used to show you ads” and click on the ads category in the section.
- Toggle off the option if turned on.
A pop-up will appear that you have removed the category from your soon. You can repeat this for all ad categories that you want to block in your Gmail account.
Remove Inbox Categories and Tabs
Staying organized can frequently seem like a herculean task in the buzzing world of email communication. That’s where Gmail’s Inbox Categories come in as your digital superhero, organizing your emails into particular categories for a clutter-free experience. Primary, Social, Promotions, Updates, and Forums are some of these categories.
Gmail automatically groups your incoming emails into these categories by default, but you may change these settings to meet your needs and maintain a tidy, functional, and effective digital mailbox.
So, by following the steps below you will be able to stay organized with your Gmail.
- Open the Gmail app on your smartphone.
- In the upper left corner, click the three horizontal lines.
- Tap Settings at the bottom of the sidebar after scrolling there.
- If you have different accounts, select the account that you want to remove Inbox categories and tabs from.
- Click on Inbox type.
- Choose one of the following: Important first, Unread first, Starred first, Priority Inbox.
- Click the arrow in the top left corner to save the changes.
You should notice fewer ads in-line within your Gmail inbox after doing this. The Gmail app on your phone or the web could, however, start receiving more advertisements in the future, so there’s always a risk that this will change.
How to Get Rid of Ads in Gmail using an Ads Blocker
You might try installing an ad blocker to get rid of Gmail ads. There are various ad blocker plugins available for popular browsers including Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.
These add-ons give you a cleaner Gmail interface by preventing ads from loading. However, note that not all ad blockers work flawlessly, and some can even cause browser performance to deteriorate.
Upgrade to Google Workspace
Consider upgrading to Google Workspace (formerly G Suite) if you want a completely ad-free Gmail experience. An ad-free version of Gmail is one of the premium features that can be accessed through this paid Google service. This might be a good option for you, based on your unique demands and financial situation.
With this guide, how to remove ads in Gmail shouldn’t be easier. If you encounter any difficulty doing this don’t hesitate to leave a comment below.