There are several ways by which you can take screenshots on iPhone 7 and higher models. Taking a screenshot is a peculiar functionality on most smartphones we have today. Two buttons are known to be very vital to performing this function which is the Home and Power buttons, at times the Volume Down and the Power button can be used concurrently.
You will get to learn how to take screenshot iPhone 7 in this article as you read through other sections of this article. In case your iPhone model has a Home button, once you press the Home and Power buttons together, it will capture everything displayed on your screen.
However, in case your iPhone model doesn’t have a Home button, then you can use the shortcut method by pressing the Side and Volume Up buttons at the same time.
Recently, the Home button on iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus has been exchanged with an advanced pressure-sensitive button powered by Taptic Engine in case you are wondering how to take a screenshot on your new iPhone. The new Home button is capable of delivering functions the initial Home button can do, all thanks to the integrated Tapic Engine.
However, with the new Taptic Engine-powered Home button, you can’t enter DFU mode or even do a Hard Reset. Rather, a different method will be used. In case there’s an issue with your Home button or a similar button on your iPhone, you might not be able to take screenshots normally. However, the good news is that there’s a way around it that is similar to how you take a screenshot on older iPhone models.
Read on as we show you how to take screenshots iPhone without using the Home, Power, or Volume Up buttons below. They are very easy and straight steps.
How do I change the screenshot settings on my iPhone?
In case you need to change the Screenshot Settings on your iPhone, you can do that by following the steps below:
- On the “Touch Settings” screen, navigate down till you see the “Back Tap” option, and click on it.
- You will be given an option of assigning the screenshot action with either a double tap or a triple tap on the “Back Tap” settings behind the case.
This is all about changing the screenshot settings on your iPhone.
How to Locate the necessary Buttons and Screenshot
To take a screenshot on iPhone 7 is as straightforward as long-pressing on two of its physical buttons concurrently. However, the two buttons you need to press depending on the model of the iPhone you have.
- Locate the first button to press, which can be found near the top-right corner of your iPhone (you can find it either located on the side or at the top of this corner, depending on the model). Note that this exact button turns your screen off and locks your iPhone
- In case your iPhone is a new model like iPhone X, iPhone XR, or iPhone 13 that requires Face ID and no there are no buttons on the front, then the next button to press is the Volume Up, located on the left side of your iPhone.
- Is there a circular home button on your iPhone’s front side? If yes, then this is the second button to be used to take a screenshot instead.
The iPhone models designed with a front home button include the present 2020 iPhone SE, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and all iPhone models released before the year 2017. This button also doubles the function of the fingerprint sensor for Touch ID except if you are using a very old iPhone model.
To find your screenshots, go to your Photos, open it and then navigate to Albums >> Media Types >> Screenshots. Now, you have found your screenshots.
How to Take an iPhone Screenshot Using AssistiveTouch
The AssistiveTouch feature allows the iPhone user to perform more complex touch-based commands on the iPhone such as pinching, multi-finger swiping or activating 3D Touch via a simple menu just a few taps away.
Using this AssistiveTouch accessibility feature is an alternative way to get screenshots in case one of your buttons is not working properly or you are unable to tap both of them together or the buttons are broken. Here’s how to set AssistiveTouch up and use it.
Note that before you can use the main method of taking an iPhone screenshot without the Home button, you need to enable the AssistiveTouch on your iPhone.
In case you are not interested in going through the stress of having to press the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons together, then you can make use of the AssistiveTouch to take a screenshot with a single hand.
- Ensure you enable the AssistiveTouch.
- Open the Settings app >> General >> Accessibility >> AssistiveTouch.
- Turn on the switch for AssistiveTouch.
- You will find an option labeled “Custom Top Level Menu” on the same screen, click on it to open it.
- Click on the Custom button designated by a star icon and then select Screenshot from the list.
- Once the screenshot option is added to your AssistiveTouch Menu, you can go ahead to take a one-handed screenshot anytime by simply tapping on the AssistiveTouch button followed by the screenshot button.
That’s all, now you have successfully enabled AssistiveTouch in your iPhone and taken screenshots while using it.
Note that iPhone 7 comes directly from the factory with iOS 10.0.1 which can be upgraded to the iOS 10.3.2 operating system. In case your iPhone model doesn’t have a home button, here’s how to take screenshot iPhone 7 without any buttons:
- Simply select Screenshot from the AssistiveTouch menu or do an assigned tapping shortcut, and your iPhone will take the screenshot.
- You will have the same result as when you use the usual method of taking a screenshot with the buttons.
- You can as well press the side and the up volume buttons at once.
Note that once you take a screenshot, the AssistiveTouch button and its menu won’t show in the image. You can simply drag the button to any convenient corner of the screen while you are not using it.
What is the shortcut for Screenshots on iPhone 7?
Another method on how to take screenshots iPhone 7 is by “cutting corners”, that is look for the shortcut to take screenshots without the buttons.
This feature is known as the Back Tap and it’s easy to use. All you need do is simply tap the back of your device with your fingers on supported iPhone models (such as iPhone 8 and later running at least iOS 14).
To configure this feature, follow the simple steps below:
- Go to Settings >> Accessibility >> Touch >> Back Tap.
- Two actions that occur whenever you tap twice and three times on the back of your device can be customized.
- Choose Screenshot to take a quick screenshot with a few taps.
- In case you don’t want to do this for some reason best known to you, you can simply combine this shortcut with AssistiveTouch.
- Select AssistiveTouch for one of your Back Tap shortcuts, and you will be able to switch this feature on and off simply by tapping.
This is just an extra step on how to take screenshot iPhone 7, but in case you take screenshots only sometimes, it will keep your screen clear of any hindrances.
How to Take Screenshot iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus
Do you have an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus and you are wondering how you can take screenshots of your WhatsApp chat, Instagram page, or the like with your iPhone 7? Well, just follow the steps below carefully:
- Tap on the Sleep/Wake or Power button on your iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus.
- Ensure you press the Home button concurrently.
- Then you will see that your iPhone screen will blink once and a shutter sound will be heard (so far your iPhone isn’t on mute) to admit that a screenshot has just been taken and saved to your device.
For iPhone 7 Plus, you can follow the steps below:
- Tap the Power and Volume up buttons at the same time on your iPhone just as you do when you typically want to grab a screenshot.
- Gently touch the screenshot’s floating thumbnail on the bottom-left corner.
- Now, change to the “Full Page” tab to capture a scrolling screenshot.
Once you fail to tap the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons simultaneously, then your iPhone will mistakenly request other actions such as Siri or lock your device. Therefore, always ensure that you press them at the same time. This is all about how to take screenshot iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus.
To take a screenshot of iPhone models with Touch ID and the side button, follow the steps below;
- Tap on the Side and Home buttons simultaneously.
- Release the 2 buttons quickly.
- Once the screenshot has been taken, then, a thumbnail will be displayed temporarily at the bottom left-hand corner of your screen.
- Press the thumbnail to open it or just swipe left to dismiss it.
This is all about how to take screenshot iPhone models with Touch ID and the side button.
In case your iPhone buttons have been removed or not working and you need to take a screenshot without pressing any button, follow the simple steps below:
- Select the Double-Tap or long-press on the main AssistiveTouch Menu.
- Now, set either one to Screenshot.
- Tap twice or press and hold the AssistiveTouch button to take a screenshot.
That’s it about how to take screenshot iPhone 7 without pressing the button.
In case you were able to get how to take screenshot iPhone 7 and you would like to view or share the saved screenshot from your phone gallery with a friend or family, here’s how to go about it. Simply follow the steps below:
- Navigate to the Photos app and open it.
- Go to the Albums tab and open the Screenshots album.
- Navigate to the end of the album, there you will find the saved screenshot.
- Click on it to open.
- Tap on the share icon at the bottom left corner, denoted by an upwards arrow icon, to share the screenshot with third-party apps.
Your device must be working effectively before you can take a screenshot and this means that the Home button needs to be functional so it could be used for taking a screenshot.
This is all you need to know about how to take screenshot iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus. You should notice the method is similar to past iPhone models.