Samsung Smart TV firmware, how do you update it? Well, here in this article, we will discuss how to update Samsung smart TV firmware or software online [when the Samsung TV is connected to the internet] and offline using a USB drive containing the Samsung TV software update.
A lot has changed in the Samsung Smart TV software recently. It was noticed that the Samsung TV 2020 models use drivers similar to computer drivers.
However, a new model is released, most Smart TVs including the Samsung Smart TV update their software to create a compatible environment for the new device.
So, to enjoy your Samsung Smart TV with these new devices you need to stay up-to-date. Also, a new Samsung smart TV firmware fix bugs on the TV set and improve the TV performance.
However, whether your Samsung Smart TV is tizenOS or WebOS, or Android, this article will explain in detail the steps to take to update your Samsung Smart TV firmware or software.
Meanwhile, there are three methods to update Samsung Smart TV software but only two of these methods are popularly used.
These methods are:
- Update your Samsung Smart firmware online.
- Update Samsung TV firmware from a USB offline.
- Contact Samsung support.
The approach to update the Samsung TV firmware online is the most recognized method to stay up-to-date on the TV. The method to download the Samsung TV firmware to a USB drive, insert it into your TV port, and update the firmware attracts less attention.
And the last method to update firmware on Samsung Smart TV contacting the Samsung support is less use.
With all these in mind, we will discuss how to update Samsung Smart TV firmware using the listed methods above in this article.
- How to Update LG Smart TV Firmware
- How to Update Hisense Smart TV Firmware
- How to Update Philips Smart TV Firmware
How to Update Samsung Smart TV Firmware Online
Internet service is required to download and install the latest Samsung Smart TV firmware. To update your Samsung Smart TV software online whenever you are ready, please follow the steps below.
- Press the Samsung Smart TV “Home” button.
- Navigate to the “Settings” gear icon to the bottom-right and press “Enter.”
- Scroll down and select “Supports.”
- Highlight Software Update and press the Enter button.
- Choose “Update Now” above auto-update.
- A pop-up will appear with a bar indicating that the TV is searching for an available update.
- If there is a new update available [above your current TV version] the update will be downloaded and installed on your TV.
The Samsung Smart TV firmware usually takes about 5 minutes at max. depending on your internet speed and strength. Do not turn off your TV during the update in other not to brick it.
Once the Samsung TV firmware update is completed the TV will turn off automatically and turn on after a couple of seconds. During the firmware update, no personal settings will be affected but it is worth taking note of those settings.
And on the contrary, if there is no update available, you will be told that the Samsung TV is using the latest firmware. Then, all you need to do is to click on the OK button and return to the TV home screen to start exploring it.
How to Download Samsung Smart TV Firmware
First, we need to download the Samsung Smart TV firmware to a removable drive such as a USB or external storage. So, here, we will discuss the steps to take to download the latest Samsung Smart TV firmware from the Samsung help center.
- Go to the Samsung download center on your phone or computer here.
- Enter your Samsung TV model number to access the support page for the TV model number you provided or select product type and search for your TV.
- Go to download and locate the TV firmware update file. If there are multiple update files available, select the newest of them all.
- Select “Download” to download the compressed firmware file or update installer to your device.
- Go to your computer download folder, right-click on the Samsung Smart TV firmware update file and select extra file.
- Copy the extracted file from the PC to the USB drive. Ensure that the firmware update is placed on the USB root directory. If the Samsung smart TV firmware update file is placed inside a folder on the USB, the TV will not be able to recognize it.
Once the above steps are completed, follow the steps below to update your Samsung smart TV from a UBS using the firmware installer.
How to Update Samsung Smart TV Firmware from USB
If by choice you are looking for how to activate Samsung Smart TV firmware from a USB drive here is a guide for you. Meanwhile, there is a huge difference between updating your Samsung TV firmware online and updating the TV firmware from a USB drive.
When updating the Samsung TV software online, the TV automatically detects your TV model number and downloads the appropriate software or firmware for the TV.
But, when you choose to update your Samsung TV firmware from a USB drive, you would have to provide the Samsung Smart TV model number to download the appropriate firmware for the TV.
- Connect the USB drive with the Samsung Smart TV firmware update to your Samsung TV port.
- Navigate to “Settings” to the bottom right using the remote navigation button and press “Enter.”
- Scroll down to highlight Supports and press the OK/Enter button.
- Choose Software Update and select Update Now.
- Select Yes from the pop-up.
The TV will search the connected USB drive for new firmware for the Samsung device. If the firmware is newer than the firmware on the TV, the TV will recognize the firmware and prompt you to install the update.
Follow the onscreen instruction to install the new firmware update from the USB drive to your TV.
How to Update Samsung Smart TV Firmware Automatically
To sleep with two eyes closed without bothering for when the next Samsung Smart TV firmware update will be available is to enable the feature that automates the software/firmware download and installation.
Therefore, I will show you how to enable Samsung smart TV firmware update auto-download to download new updates whenever there is an update available.
- Go to your Samsung Smart TV settings.
- Scroll down, highlight Supports, and press OK.
- Choose Software update.
- Select Auto–update instead of Update Now.
- Press the “Home” button.
Ensure that the grey icon is changed to blue. Now, whenever your Samsung Smart TV is connected to the internet, it will search the Samsung database for a new update. And if there is a new update available, the TV will download it, install it, and complete the installation when next you cold-boot the TV.