This article will guide you on how to update your iPhone 13 Pro, which is the latest release in the history of iPhones. The iPhone is a line of smartphones designed and marketed by Apple Inc. that uses Apple’s iOS mobile operating system.
Launched on January 9, 2007, iPhone is a combination of a computer, an iPod, digital camera and cellular phone all in one device, designed with a touchscreen interface that runs on the iOS operating system. The iPhone brand has evolved so much over the years.
From 2007, which was its inception to 2021, there has been a total of 13 iPhone series although most of them usually have multiple models(i.e, pro, pro max, S series and the mini series) which has amounted to a total of 33 iPhones released so far.
In this post, we are going to look at how iPhones has evolved from 2007 to 2021, then how you can update your iPhone 13 Pro, as well as things you can do before you update an iPhone 13 Pro and lastly the possible risks you might face if you fail to update iPhone 13 Pro. So, lets take a quick look at the iPhones launched from 2007 to 2021.
iPhones Launched From 2007 to 2021
- The iPhone, launched in 2007 (with features like Google maps, multitouch keyboards and iPod integration)
- The iPhone 3G, launched in 2008( its outstanding features were GPS navigation, Apps store and third party apps, MobileMe).
- The iPhone 3GS, launched in 2009( came with features such as Voice control and copy, cut and paste).
- The iPhone 4, launched in 2010 ( It has Multitasking, Folders and FaceTime).
- The iPhone 4S, launched in 2011(The “S” stands for Siri, a voice assistant. Talking to Siri is a quick way to get things done).
- The iPhone 5, launched in 2012(Lightning and LTE were the features that stood out in the iPhone 5).
- The iPhone 5S, launched in 2013( This was the phone that ushered in the Touch ID, a system that allows you unlock your phone and pay for apps just by pressing the home button. This was also the first iPhone designed with a gold covering, and also the first to have the Airdrop and Facetime Audio feature).
- The iPhone 5C, launched in same 2013(This one came in “a coat of many colors” ranging from blue, white, yellow and red plastic coverings(as opposed to the usual aluminum that phones were made in).
- The iPhone 6 and 6Plus, launched in 2014(Their forte was +9 larger screens).
- The iPhone 6S and 6S Plus, launched in 2015(Health App, 3D Touch).
- The iPhone SE, launched in 2016.
- In 2017, Apple launched the iPhone 7 and 7Plus, 8 and 8Plus, alongside the X series. ( The big bang of the 7 series was its camera quality, especially for the 7 Plus while the 8 Plus was designed to support wireless charging).
- Then XS and XS Max, and XR was launched in 2018(Siri Shortcut, Group Facetime).
- The iPhone 11, 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max came in 2019(Dark mode, Siri Update, Revamped Maps Apps, Smart Photos App).
- The iPhone 12 Pro was released in 2020 ( with an home screen redesign, compact phone calls, Apps tracking transparency).
- Finally, the iPhone 13 and 13 Pro came in 2021, (made a debut with FaceTime, SharePlay, Focus Mode and Spotlight).
Recommended: How to Update your Mac Computer.
How To Update iPhone 13 Pro Manually
Updating is basically the process of trying to access the latest available operating system, so your phone can adapt to new technical standards. If you don’t upgrade, eventually, your phone won’t be able to accommodate the new features which will automatically hinder you from enjoying your phone at optimum capacity.
To update your iPhone 13 Pro, you can either use the manual or automatic method. For the manual method, simply start by;
- Turn on your WiFi network.
- Plug your phone into power and connect it to the network.
- Then head over to your iPhone 13 Pro Settings.
- Click on General.
- Tap on Software Update.
- Sometimes, you could see two software update options available, just be careful to choose the one that you want to install.
- Tap Install Now, but if you see Download and Install instead, tap it to download the update, then enter your passcode and tap Install Now.
That is how to manually update iPhone 13 Pro.
Automatic Method to Update iPhone 13 Pro
All you need do is turn on the Automatic Updates function and you are good to go. So, to get that done;
- Go to Settings.
- Click on the App Store.
- Then tap “App Updates” to turn the function on.
- From there, tap “Automatic Downloads” (This is to enable new versions of Apps to download automatically).
That is how you automatically update your iPhone 13 Pro.
Do this Before You Update Your iPhone 13 Pro
Below are the precautional measure to take before you decide to update your iPhone 13 pro.
1. Back Up Your Phone
The one thing you need to do before you update your iPhone 13 Pro, is to back up your phone as this will ensure that all your data is safe, just in case something goes wrong during the update process. You can do this either through iTunes or iCloud and we will walk you through both procedures.
How To Back Up Your iPhone To iTunes
Here, you will need a lightning cable, so;
- Using the lightning cable, plug your iPhone into a computer with iTunes.
- Open iTunes.
- From there, find your way to the upper left corner of the screen and click on the iPhone icon.
- Click on Back Up Now.
- Wait for the backup to finish and then unplug your iPhone.
To Back Up Your iPhone To iCloud
- Open Settings.
- Tap your name on the top of the screen.
- Select iCloud.
- Scroll down and tap iCloud Backup.
- Make sure the switch next to iCloud backup is on.
- Tap Backup Now, and that does the job.
2. Clear App Caches
If you have been using your iPhone for a while, then there is a chance that huge amounts of cache and data have built up and occupied space, so to clear them all out, do the following;
- Open the Settings icon on your iPhone.
- Scroll down until you see the entry for Safari.
- Scroll down again and tap Clear History and Website Data.
- Confirm by selecting Clear History and Data and that does it.
Risks You Might Face if You Don’t Update Your iPhone 13 Pro
Below are some of the reasons why you must always update your iPhone 13 pro to the latest version once there is an update available.
1. Your Phone Might Get Hacked
Another good thing about updates, is that each new iOS upgrade comes a new security improvements that is designed to protect your iPhone from hackers, malware and memory corruption issues, which means if your iOS is not up-to-date, you stand the risk of being hacked.
2. Your Phone Begins To Slow Down
An outdated iOS equals a slow and sometimes freezing phone, and we all know how frustrating that can be, so just go ahead and update your iPhone 13 Pro for better functionality.
So, there you are, a brief guide on how to update your iPhone 13 Pro, alongside other necessary information. we hope this helps you and answers your questions.