You have got yourself a new PS4 game console without a spare TV to use as your monitor but you have an old laptop you no longer use because you also got a new laptop as well. Don’t give out the laptop yet, there is this method I used to use m laptop as a monitor for my PS4 to play the game with my friends. I am going to share with you how to use a laptop as a monitor for PS4 here in this article.
The approach isn’t limited to a single device. The approach works for Sony PS4, we will also consider how to use a capturing card as a means to turn your old laptop to a monitor for your Sony PS4 game console.
Here in this guide, you do not need to consider whether your PC is compatible with the game console. All things work for good, if you have ever played GTA on your laptop before now you’d be able to connect your PS4 to your laptop and use it as a monitor.
Meanwhile, what most PS4 game fans know is connecting their console to their PC using an HDMI cable, yes, that is right, but we’d not only consider that we will also consider different approaches to use a Laptop as a monitor for PS4 game console.
Table of Contents
Here are the basic requirements to connect your PS4 game consoles to your laptop and use it as the monitor.
- PS4 game console
- Laptop (1GB RAM minimum)
- USB cable (HDMI) or DualShock 4 USB Wireless Adapter (recommended)).
- PlayStation Account.
- Remote play app
We called these basic requirements because you will need them if you truly want to play the PS4 game console on your laptop using an HDMI cable. Meanwhile, if you are using your laptop with a Sony TV, you will need the remote play app to do the job for you.
How To Use a Laptop As a Monitor For PS4 With HDMI
This is the most common approach we all use. Maybe because the approach is direct or it doesn’t require a special skill. However, I wouldn’t mind taking you through the entire procedure to achieve playing PS4 on a laptop with the help of an HDMI.
- Go to the Sony website and download the remote play app for your computer or laptop OS.
- Go to your Windows or macOS or PC download folder and click on the remote play app installer and follow the instruction on the screen to complete the installation.
- Enable “Remote Play Connection” on your PS4 via the settings to have access to the network which allows you to play PS4 game remotely or connecting it with your PC or laptop with the connection mode you enabled.
- Leave your PS4 until it enters into a rest mode. You can do this in the PS4 settings. However, by default, the game console is supposed to be in rest mode once you enable “Remote Play Connection”.
- To run the game console from the network enable “Turning On”.
- Enable the “PS4 Remote Application” on your Windows or macOS. Go to the app settings and set up the game console screen resolution to 720p.
- Now, connect the game controller to your laptop using the USB adapter, and push the controller for some seconds. The remote play app on your computer will show up the start button.
- Click on the “remote play app” start button and you will be taken to the “PlayStation user login screen” on the network.
- Log into your PS4 account if you have not done that. The PS4 remote application will select the PS4 in the system automatically.
That is all you have to do to start playing PS4 on PC using your laptop as the game monitor.
How To Use Laptop As Monitor For PS4 Using Capture Card
There is an alternative way to turn your laptop screen into a monitor to use a capture card in case you do not want to use the popular approach with the help of an HDMI. Meanwhile, be ready to let out a few dollars if you do not have this capture card before.
- Get your Capture Card from this source. We will earn a cent for using the link.
- Switch-on your “WiFi” and Go to Settings on your PS4 and enable the “File-sharing” option.
- Enable “WiFi” option at the back of your PS4 to establish a connection between the game console and the router.
- Connect the “Capture Card” to your laptop using the USB-port and follow the installation guide on your laptop screen.
- Link both the capture card and the PS4 game console using an s-video connection. If you do not have the s-video connection you can also get it from this source. Do not forget that the “HDMI-In link is for the card while the HDMI-Out is for your laptop.
- To turn on the PS4 after you have connected it with the Capture Card run the software on your laptop.
Your laptop screen will eventually turn to your PS4 monitor with the Capture Card software auto-tracking the PS4 game console and display it on your laptop and the s-video connection making streaming the video smoothly.