It is completely understandable if you want to stop pop up ads from appearing on your iPhone. Many would agree with me that these ads get really annoying sometimes. In case you’re one of those who can no longer stick the pop up ads that appear on your iPhone, then this article is for you.
Just in case you do not know what pop up ads are, they are the type of advertisements that appear on your iPhone screen while using your browser. Most of the time, the ads inform you that you have won a lottery or even an iPhone. Don’t get too excited when you see this, they are fake, and that is why we want to get rid of them.
Sometimes, these types of ads get in our way while reading something important. It gets more frustrating when you close it repeatedly, but it just refuses to go away. If you are in these shoes, don’t worry anymore, we have got the perfect solution to that.
Table of Contents
How to Stop Pop Up Ads on iPhone
Here we consider different approaches to stop pop-up ads on your iPhone
If you use the Safari browser, you will be protected from most of these scam links and websites to some extent. However, you might still be getting a few pop-up ads. So how do you block pop-ups from Safari completely? The answer is simple; just follow the method we have listed out below.
- To begin with, launch the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Then scroll down and tap on “Safari.”
- Tap and turn on the “Block Pop-ups” toggle.
- Also, scroll down and turn on “Fraudulent Website Warning.”
With this, you will notice a substantial reduction in the number of pop-ups that will appear on your Safari browser. Meanwhile, if the ads persist, then it is likely that the caches might be the cause. You can solve this by clearing your cache and other website data on your iPhone. Follow the steps highlighted below to do so.
- First, open the settings of your iPhone.
- Navigate to Safari.
- Then, scroll down and select the “Clear History and Website Data” option.
- Ensure you confirm to clear all data related to websites.
Afterwards, your iPhone will stop pop-ups on the safari browser.
It is easy to block pop up ads on iPhone’s Safari browser using its settings. However, when it comes to third-party browsers like Google Chrome, blocking it on Safari does not mean that it cannot pop up on Chrome. Just like we did for Safari, we can attempt to stop pop up ads on Chrome using its in-app options. Follow the steps provided below to do that.
- Open the Google Chrome browser on your iPhone.
- Click on the three-dot icon on the bottom right corner of the browser.
- Select “Settings” from the menu, then open the “Content Settings.”
- Navigate to “Block Pop-ups” and turn it on.
Following this process would also reduce the amount of pop up ads that appear while you’re using Chrome. However, this will not remove ads from the website pages you visit.
There are numerous AdBlocker apps like AdGuard that can help you stop pop up ads from appearing. Using AdBlocker would totally stop pop up ads from appearing on your Safari browser which might affect the functioning of some legit websites. Follow the steps below to use AdGuard app to block pop-ups.
- Download and the AdGaurd app on your phone.
- You can decide to open the app for in-app preferences, but it’s not necessary.
- Open the Settings window of your mobile phone.
- Go to Safari then select “Content Blockers.”
- Turn on the “AdGaurd General” option which would then remove standard ads from the websites you visit.
When AdGaurd is on, your Safari browser would be protected from ads and it will stop pop-ups on your iPhone.
Limit Ad Tracking
You might not be aware, but advertisers can track your usage behaviour and then suggest ads based on that. On iPhones, some of your search phrases and terms are stored to show you targeted ads on your applications. If you want to get rid of these ads, follow the steps below.
- Open Settings app on your iPhone.
- Then open the Privacy settings.
- Scroll to the bottom and select “Advertising.”
- Turn on “Limit Ad Tracking” to stop seeing targeted ads.
- Just in case you need to clear the advertising preferences already recorded by your iPhone, select the “Reset Advertising Identifier” option.
Use Ad Content Restriction
The content restriction does not only help to protect children from seeing certain contents, but it can also be used to block ads which in turn stops pop up ads. Follow the steps below to block ads using content restriction.
- Open the Settings window of your mobile phone.
- Then click on the “Screen Time” option.
- Afterwards, select the “Content & Privacy Restrictions” option and enable the feature.
- Select “Advertising” under the Privacy section then choose “Don’t Allow.”
We all know how frustrating pop ads could get. Follow any of the methods explained above and enjoy a pop-up ads-free browsing experience.