Safety and ease are huge motivations when people are purchasing a technology-based device, people purchase security cameras because of safety.
Now let’s come to ease, what if you want to do something as easy as using your voice to open your garage door can you possibly do that?
Well, you can? And there are different brands of smart devices that have come up to solve this problem however a prominent brand that does it much better when it comes to smart garage door openers is the MYQ.
The MYQ garage door opener comes with some impressive features such as a cloud cam to keep tabs on the interior of your garage and home. and it also comes with a new creative feature that makes it easier for orders to be delivered safely inside your house.
Now since you’re here to figure out How to connect MYQ to google home and probably own the MYQ smart garage opener, or probably you just got it, and you’ve activated the Free subscription, below I will be delving into what you need to understand and do to connect it to Google and how to connect MYQ to google home, however before we delve into that let’s understand what MYQ is.
What is MYQ?
You can skip to the next heading for instructions on how to connect to your Google assistance.
MYQ is a smart garage door opener that lifts the burden of manually opening your garage door while you’re probably coming back from work to simply using some assistive technology to live up or open your garage door with the push of a button or by simply using your voice which we are going to figure out how to do in this article .
with this advancement, you don’t bulge thinking if your garage door is locked or unlocked you can get the full information as a notification on the MYQ app.
This alone guarantee’s some level of safety for you, now, if you’re looking to connect it with google but you’ve tried and it’s not working here is what you need to know this MYQ does not work with Google Home!!
How to connect MYQ to google home
Since you’re here searching for how to connect MYQ to google home I hate to say this. it won’t work. Bad news right ? not really, you still have other great options and one of them is Google Assistant.
With Google Assistant, you can close the garage door, open it and also check the status of the door, by simply using some simple commands.
However, it might be limited in terms of the capability it has but it gets the job done.
With that said, let’s take a look at how to connect MYQ to Google Assistant
How to connect MyQ to Google Assistant
Now, as you know, google assistant comes with a subscription service that you usually pay for annually which cost $10 currently it is free but the terms can change at any time.
Before you can work this method out you need to connect MYQ to google assistant via the app and subscribe to their service on the MYQ website below explains details break down of how to do all that:
- Firstly, launch Google Assistant and click the compass located at the right bottom corner.
- Locate the search bar and type MyQ into it and select the MyQ app from the search results.
- Now, click the link and type in your MyQ credentials. doing this permits Google Assistant to control your MyQ devices.
- Next, Subscribe to Google Assistant’s MyQ subscription by going here and scrolling down till you see Activate subscription and click on it
- Finally, login back into your account to finalize the transaction.
Since you’ve been able to subscribe to google assistant, now you can control or get the status of your garage door by saying the following commands
- Ok, Google, ask MyQ to close the garage door. IN most cases you will be asked which door even if there is only one door!
- Ok, Google, ask MyQ if the garage door is open.
After calling these commands your Google Assistant will then communicate this with your MyQ and report the answer back to you.
Movin gon let’s delve into the second way to connect your MYQ to google assistant via the IFTTT integration
How to connect MyQ to Google Assistant Via IFTTT
apart from simply using your voice commands to control your MYQ via google assistant, there is an alternative way to achieve that and that is by using an IFTTT integration.
Using this alternative has its perks and cons one of its perks is the fact that you don’t need to mention MYQ when using voice commands to open or close the garage however one of its drawbacks is you can’t check the status.
SO if the status is a big deal to you. You might consider sticking with the earlier alternative else, let’s break down how to connect Google Assistant to MyQ using IFTTT.
- Go on Google Playstore or Appstore to download the IFTT app and sign up and then login into your account if you don’t have one
- Click “explore” in the upper right corner.
- Now, click on “create and make a new alphabet from scratch.
- After doing that, Search for Google Assistant.
- Next, select the say a simple phrase trigger.
- On the next screen enter, ‘close garage’ or a statement of your choice. which you wish to use as the voice command.
- Now, press creates a trigger to finalize the process.
- Next, search for MyQ.
- choose ‘close door’ as the action and choose your garage door.
- Lastly, tap on create action to save the process.
- Finally, create a name for your IFTTT MyQ Applet and press create.
Seems longer right? well once you’re done you can simply use commands like ‘OK Google, close garage, and the IFTTT applet will trigger, and the door will be closed.
Moving on, since we have been able to figure out that asking how to connect MYQ to google home won’t work and that it can work with google assistant instead let’s delve into some commonly asked questions related to the topic.
How do I make MYQ discoverable?
For your MYQ to be discoverable with Google home, you have to pair them together and below are simple instructions on how you can do that.
- Open the Google Home app
- Tap the gear icon
- Select “MyQ”
- Choose “Pairing Mode”
- Follow the instructions on the screen
- Once paired, tap the blue button on the top right corner
- Enter your PIN
- Press OK
- Your MyQ will now be ready to use
Why is MYQ not in Google assistant?
You can find MYQ in Google assistance, you just have to search for it and select it from the displayed result.
How do I add another home to my app?
- To do that follow the steps below
- Launch your MYQ app and log in to your account
- Now, click on the Initials in the upper left corner.
- Select Device Management.
- Select the Device/Hub to add the myQ device.
- Select Add New.
- Select the type of device you want to add: MYQ Garage Door Opener (non-Wi-Fi) Remote Light Control. Commercial Door Operator.
Does myQ have a monthly fee?
the standard features are free to use, however, to access the MYQ premium features. As of now, you need to pay a monthly fee for myQ premium of $1 a month or $10 for a year. The Google Home Hub supports thousands of smart devices, and the myQ garage door opener is no exception.
Can I Check My Garage Door Openers History
Of course, you can do that by checking that through the MYQ app after logging into your account
Can I Schedule When My Garage Door Opens and Closes?
To open your Garage door using your MYQ app, you can simply do that at the press of a button, so you can use your voice to command your garage door to either open or close.
The process is fairly easy for both but if you want to schedule when the garage door openers and closely follow the steps below on how to do that
- Launch your MyQ account on the app,
- Now, open the menu.
- ON the menu, Scroll to schedules and click on the plus sign at the top corner of the screen. Clicking this will bring the scheduling menu.
When you get to the menu. Choose the device you’re monitoring. what time you want to do it and when. all these can be done automatically.
Does Alexa work with MYQ?
Your MYQ Smart Garage door opener won’t directly work with Alexa, what you have to do is simply connect your Alexa using IFTTT and then you can use it to close your garage door by voice trigger
The Chamberlain MyQ garage door opener does not directly work with Alexa. However, you can connect MyQ to Alexa using IFTTT to close your garage door. MyQ IFTTT integration is compatible with Alexa Routines.
Finally, connecting your MYQ smart garage opener to Google assistant to make use of the voice command shouldn’t be much of a hassle since you’re well aware of how to connect to do it. in addition, you might also be interested in figuring out other Garage door opener apps that you might be interested in if you use an android device.