It could have been a better day if not for the Orbi router flashing white light right? I know that feeling. It can be frustrating seeing your Orbi router flashing white light for a reason you can tell.
Well, if that is what you are facing, do not feel frustrated as we will walk you through the process of how to resolve your Orbi router with the white light in the form of a flash.
Orbi Whole Mesh WiFi is a product by Netgear with a mouthwatering price based on individual differences though. However, even though the router is manufactured by a well-known company, the router still faces some challenges which include the Orbi router white light that makes the WiFi network not to be stable and losses the device network capabilities.
Therefore, if your Orbi router problem falls in this category and you are on the lookout for how to resolve the issue here is a guide for you.
Why am I Seeing the Orbi Router Flashing White Light
We got to know that the Orbi router flashing white light emanated from at least one of the following reasons.
- Firmware Update or glitch or corrupted firmware.
- Orbi Router reset.
- Power failure on the Orbi router.
At least one of the reasons above is responsible for the blinking white light on your Orbi router.
Whether you can identify why the Orbi router white light is blinking or not, we will provide some ways that can be followed to fix the blinking white light on your Orbi router.
Power Cycle the Orbi Router & Satellites
Even though the white light blinking on the Orbi router might be temporary, you still need to find a quick solution to the problem. However, it is worth noting that if the Orbi router & satellite power supply isn’t properly plugged into the device it can cause the device white light to blink.
To do a soft reset or power cold or power cycle your Orbi router & satellite, take the following steps.
- Turn off the Orbi router & satellite or any other router/Wi-Fi that you are using.
- Unplug all the devices that are plugged into the router.
- Leave it for at least 12 hours. But, we recommend that you should leave it overnight so that nothing will tamper with it knowingly or unknowingly.
- After the suggested time plug the Orbi router into the power outlet and turn on the router & satellites.
- Press and hold the router reset button until you start seeing an amber colour in the reset indicator.
- Let go of the reset button and leave the router as it is without connecting to it or connecting an ethernet cable to it until the next day.
- Turn on the Orbi router and see whether the blinking white light has stopped or not.
If the above steps fix the Orbi router blinking light and the white light no longer come up or blinks, you are good to go. But, on the contrary, if the blinking white light isn’t affected or fixed, consider the next step below.
For Satellite users, you want to try the steps below to fix any white blinking light on your device.
Resync your Satellites
Consider resyncing your satellite device can fix the device blinking white light. To do this, kindly follow the steps below.
- Ensure that the router and satellites are receiving power.
- Press the Sync button on the router.
- Within two minutes, press the Sync button on each satellite.
- The devices will resync.
This also can fix the blinking white light on both the router and satellite.
Create a New Password
Have you considered creating a new password for your device? If not, create a new password and see whether it’s a password problem.
- Go to Advanced Settings
- Choose “Wireless Settings”
- Return “Network Password”
This should resolve the satellite white blinking light when a new password is set.
Reset your Orbi Router to Default
Below is the step by step procedure to take to reset your Orbi router to the default settings.
- Press and hold the “Orbi Reset Button” for about 10 seconds using either toothpick or paper clip or staple pin, or Safety pin or earing or thumbtack.
- Keep pressing the power button until the red light on the reset button keeps blinking amber colour.
- Release the reset button and wait for the device to restart to complete the device resetting.
- Repeat the reset process on all satellites.
That is all you have to do to reset your Orbi router to the default settings. At this point, the white light blinking should disappear. And if it doesn’t, then, you want to try the next recommendation.
Check out how to fix Airpod blinking Orange light
Update your Orbi Router to the Latest Firmware
There are two ways to update your Orbi router to the latest firmware. These include the manual and automatic approaches. So, here we are going to discuss how to update the Orbi router using both methods.
Update Orbi Router Firmware Automatically
To automatically update your Orbi router firmware automatically, kindly follow the steps below.
- Go to the official Orbi website at Orbilogin.com.
- Sign in to your account with your username and password.
- For your information, the Orbi WiFi primary username and password is “Admin.” You may want to check your router package to confirm this.
- Navigate to “Advanced > Administration > Firmware Update.”
If there is an update available the Orbi WiFi and Satellite will download and install it on your device. After the update, you may want to check whether the white light problem has been solved.
How to Update Orbi Router & Satellite Manually
To do update your Orbi router manually, you need to download the latest firmware for your Orbi router and satellite and upload the latest firmware to your admin backend.
However, you will be required to provide your Orbi router and satellite model name/number and login [username and password] to the admin page.
- Visit te NetGear download center.
- Enter your Orbi router product name or serial number.
- Once you have selected the name of your router click on the “Manual Update” tab.
- This will take you to where to download the latest firmware update for your device.
- Log into your Orbi router account if you are prompted to do so.
- Check the box next to the name of your router.
- Select the “Update” tab to open the “Orbi Satellite firmware update page.”
- Once you have downloaded the updated version of your device firmware, click on the “browse” tab and select the file name that ends with “.img or .chk.”
- Select the “Upload” button to upload the latest Orbi satellite firmware to your admin backend.
- Wait for a couple of seconds or minutes to upload the firmware. Once the firmware has been uploaded click on “Status” to confirm that the firmware update version is the same as the update version on your NetGear support page.
Updating your Orbi Router & Satellite firmware is a one time fix to various problems on your router including the Orbi router flashing white light problem.
If none of the suggestions and recommendations above works for you, you may want to contact NetGear support to report the problem or go to the nearby store to complain and request a fix.