Streaming on Roku requires an internet connection to buffer. However, if you are connected but the internet isn’t working, your Roku will return error code 009, which implies that the Roku device is unable to connect to the internet despite that you have successfully connected to your WiFi or mobile broadband. If your internet connection isn’t working correctly, your Roku device will try to tell you that it cannot connect to the internet showing error code 009 on your TV screen. However, you can learn how to fix Roku error code 009 if you follow what we will share with you in this guide.
Table of Contents
What is Roku Error Code 009?
Roku error code 009 is an error that appears on users’ screen telling users that the Roku device is connected to an internet service that is not working. And once the error code 009 appears on Roku, you will not be able to stream again until it’s fixed.
Causes of Roku Error Code 009
What are the causes of error code 009 on Roku? From research, here are some of the reasons why Roku pops code 009 while streaming.
- Poor internet connection.
- Misconfiguration of your Roku.
- DNS Caches.
- Cable not well connected.
You only need to be worried about your internet connection when you see the error code 009 on your Roku while others work perfectly OK with the default settings.
How to Fix Roku Error Code 009
Here are some of the approaches to follow to fix error code 009 on your Roku.
- Restart your Router or WiFi connection.
- Network connection reset
- Check your Roku cable and fix it if it’s loose.
- Clear your Roku caches.
- Restart Roku.
- Update your Roku software
- Factory Reset your Roku.
With the approaches above, the error code 009 disturbing you on Roku will be fixed, and you are back again.
How to Restart Router WiFi
Follow the procedures below to restart your modem and Router.
- Unplug both the Router and the modem.
- Wait for a couple of seconds, say 30 seconds above.
- Plug your modem to the power course.
- Press the power button on your modem
- Wait for a couple of seconds again, say 60 seconds for the modem to come up.
- Plug your Router
- Wait for the Router to boot
- Your Router will come up and start normally. However, some Router requires you to press the power button to work.
Network Connection Reset
Roku error code 009 has a connection with a network connection problem. However, if you believe that the problem isn’t with your internet provider, follow the steps below to reset your network connection on the Roku device.
- Press the “Home” button on your Roku remote.
- Go to the “Settings” menu and “Select” it.
- Select “System.”
- Select “Advanced” system settings.
- Select “Network connection reset.”
Follow the instruction on the screen to reset your Roku network connection in an attempt to fix error code 009.
Clear your Roku Caches
If you can achieve to the clear caches on your Roku, the error code 009 will be cleared if excess caches cause it.
If you are used to Roku, you will believe that there is no direct way to clear caches on Roku. The best approach to clear caches on Roku are;
- Do a Roku soft reset.
- Do a hard reset.
- Remove fault apps and download the latest update.
All the suggestions above work to restore apps to working perfectly if there is a need to clear caches on the device.
Restart your Roku
You would want to restart your Roku as well as a measure to fix error code 009.
- Press the Home button 5 times consecutively.
- Press the Up arrow once.
- Press the Rewind button twice.
- Press the Fast Forward button twice.
- The restart will begin.
It may take a few seconds or even up to a minute before your Roku will restart.
Update Your Roku Software
If your Roku software is out-of-date, it can be malfunctioning. Therefore, we will also suggest updating the device software to the latest release.
- Press the Home button on your Roku remote control.
- Navigate to “Settings,” and then press the right arrow to select it.
- Scroll to “System” and select it.
- Select “System update”.
- Select “Check now”.
- Install updates if available.
Instantly, your Roku will start downloading the latest version and override all internal errors that are caused by the outdated version.
How to Reset Roku
You should consider this as your last option. Doing this will restore your Roku to default settings, which may lead to losing all your apps. The approaches to reset Roku varies from model to model.
So, depending on the model you possess. Locate the reset button and press until your Roku shows the option to reset it to default settings.