In this article, we would be discussing how to link Plex to TV. If you’ve been having issues as to what Plex is all about and how you can use it, then this article is meant for you.
Plex is simply an app that allows you to access and stream locally curated and uploaded content on any Plex-enabled device. The server however would be run and managed by you.
We would take you through how to sign in or create an account on Plex, you would learn how to download Plex to your Smart TV, you would also be given a guide on how to correctly link Plex to TV using plex.tv/link. You would also know what devices and browsers are supported by Plex, how to troubleshoot Plex not working on your Smart TV.
Signing up to Plex
All you have to do to link Plex to TV is to create an account and install the app to your Smart TV. Creating an account allows your device to be able to connect to Plex Media Server that has been set up manually by you.
Here are a few easy steps to link Plex to TV.
- On your web browser, simply visit Plex Media using plex.tv/link
- On the website, you would be asked to log in or sign up to your Plex Media account.
- As a new user, you would be asked to sign up. You would be required to fill certain fields during the signup process such as your email, username, and password. Simply fill this up.
- You would be asked to verify your email account in your email inbox. Please do so.
- Once you’ve signed up, you would now be able to set up a Plex Server and also create a Plex account.
Here is a list of devices you can link Plex to:
- Browsers: Chrome, Edge, Firefox, and Safari
- Mobile Apps snd Tablets: Android, iOS
- Computers: macOS, Windows
- Smart TVs: LG, Samsung, Hisense, VIZIO, and Roku TV
- Streaming Devices: Amazon Alexa, Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, Apple TV, Chromecast, Portal from Facebook, Roku, Sonos
- Gaming Consoles: PlayStation and Xbox
Asides from the Plex web app on listed devices, can also run Plex and supported player apps. Users wanting to connect Plex to their Home Theatre Power Conditioner can use this feature. You would have access to professional audio and video playback giving you an amazing vibe in return.
How to Link Plex to TV
To link Plex to TV simply means to enable your Smart TV to have access to view all your contents stored in the Plex server. However, to do this, you need to first download the app. Once you’ve downloaded the app, the next thing is to sign in and get an activation code.
Download Plex to TV
- To download Plex to your Smart TV, simply follow this step.
- From your Smart TV Home Screen, simply visit your Smart TV Apps Store.
- On your Smart TV Apps Store, use the search icon to search for the Plex app.
- Once the app is found, simply click on the app and install it.
- Wait for the app to be installed.
- Once the app has been installed, you can find Plex in your Apps list.
Activate Plex on TV
After downloading and installing the Plex Media App, the next thing is to link Plex to TV. To do this, simply:
- Launch the already installed Plex app.
- Once launched, you would get an activation code. The activation code is a four-digit verification code granted by the Plex server.
- Simply take note of this code and visit plex.tv/link using your mobile device or PC.
- On the website, enter the four-digit code provided and click “Activate”
- Your server would be reviewed. Once reviewed, you would be granted activation and you can enjoy Plex Media contents on your Smart TV.
Don’t miss how to fix Plex TV not working on Samsung Smart TV, Roku, LG, and some other smart TVs on Tizen and WebOS.
Plex Pricing Plan
Plex has different tiers that suit the specific budget of its users. Plex provides you with a free account upon signing up. With this free account, you can stream and store your media. You also have the opportunity to cast your collection to different devices. The free version also supports varieties of media formats.
You can however upgrade to getting a Plex Pass that costs $4.99 monthly. The Plex Pass subscription grants you access to Premium Music and more features such as auto-tagging and lyrics generator. With the Plex Pass subscription, you also can stream Live TV and sync your content to watch offline.
Troubleshooting Plex on Smart TV
Here are some troubleshooting tips you can adopt if you have issues with the Plex app on your Samsung Smart TV. These are the most likely issues you might encounter to link Plex to TV.
Plex App Crashing
This issue would most likely occur when you perform a Plex update on your Smart TV. The app keeps crashing every time you try to launch it. At times, software gets corrupted upon update. It could be caused by a bug or glitch during an update.
To solve this, you need to Factory Reset your Smart TV to get the app functional. You can find this under Settings > Reset. Resetting your TV might take a while but should be able to solve the problem.
Plex Server not connecting to Smart TV
You have everything set up. The router was working perfectly, the network is good, the connection is secure, other apps are working perfectly fine but Plex won’t. This could be a very frustrating case.
You simply need to turn off the Secure connection in your Plex settings. Just go Settings > Network Settings > Secure Connections > Turn off and that should solve it.
You check our full guide on how to fix Plex not working on Smart TV
What is Plex Supported Media File
Plex Media Server supports a huge array of media files. Here’s the list:
- For Home Videos, TV Shows, and Movies, Plex supports: MP4, MKV, AVI, MOV, DIVX, and more
- For music, Plex supports: MP3, M4A, FLAC, WMA, and more
- For Photos, Plex supports: JPG, PNG, RAW, TBN, and more
What else can Plex help you do?
There are a lot of other things you can do with Plex. Plex allows you to organize and track all your media content. You can optimize media for bandwidth and also protect your content.
Plex TV offer varieties of free, on-demand content from streaming services and from over up to a hundred content from Live TV. Plex TV gets even a lot more interesting by subscribing to Plex Pass.
With this subscription, you would be granted more amazing features such as audio enhancements, parental controls, downloading content to stream later offline, implementing DVR to watch and record over the air and also getting prior access to discounts on several things.