In this article, we would be discussing how to link Plex to TV. If you’ve been having issues as to what Plex is all about and how you can use it, then this article is meant for you.
Plex is simply an app that allows you to access and stream locally curated and uploaded content on any Plex-enabled device. The server however would be run and managed by you.
We would take you through how to sign in or create an account on Plex, you would learn how to download Plex to your Smart TV, and you would also be given a guide on how to correctly link Plex to TV using plex.tv/link. You would also know what devices and browsers are supported by Plex, and how to troubleshoot Plex not working on your Smart TV.
Signing up for Plex
All you have to do to link Plex to your TV is to create an account and install the app on your Smart TV. Creating an account allows your device to be able to connect to Plex Media Server that has been set up manually by you.
Here are a few easy steps to link Plex to TV.
- On your web browser, simply visit Plex Media using plex.tv/link
- On the website, you would be asked to log in or sign up for your Plex Media account.
- As a new user, you would be asked to sign up. You would be required to fill in certain fields during the signup process such as your email, username, and password. Simply fill this up.
- You would be asked to verify your email account in your email inbox. Please do so.
- Once you’ve signed up, you would now be able to set up a Plex Server and also create a Plex account.
Compatible Devices to Link Plex
Here is a list of devices you can link Plex to:
- Browsers: Chrome, Edge, Firefox, and Safari
- Mobile Apps and Tablets: Android, iOS
- Computers: macOS, Windows
- Smart TVs: LG, Samsung, Hisense, VIZIO, and Roku TV
- Streaming Devices: Amazon Alexa, Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, Apple TV, Chromecast, Portal from Facebook, Roku, Sonos
- Gaming Consoles: PlayStation and Xbox
Asides from the Plex web app on listed devices, can also run Plex and supported player apps.
Users wanting to connect Plex to their Home Theatre Power Conditioner can use this feature.
You would have access to professional audio and video playback giving you an amazing vibe in return.
How to Link Plex to TV
To link Plex to TV simply means to enable your Smart TV to have access to view all your contents stored in the Plex server. However, to do this, you need to first download the app. Once you’ve downloaded the app, the next thing is to sign in and get an activation code.
Plex TV Link
The Plex streaming platform has a unique link called the “Plex TV Link” to connect the Plex TV server and your smart TV.
With the Plex TV link, plex.tv/link you will be prompted to sign into your Plex TV account or create a new Plex TV account without a credit or debit card.
However, once you are logged in to connect the Plex TV to your TV you be asked to enter the 4 character displays on your Plex TV app and hit the “Link” tab to link up your Plex TV and your smart TV.
Plex.tv/link is the official website to connect your Plex account to your smart TV using the Plex TV code [4-character code] on the Plex TV app screen on your smart TV.
The plex.tv/link is unique for all users while the Plex TV code is different for all users for different devices.
Plex TV Code
The Plex TV code is a 4-character code displayed on the Plex TV app screen on your smart TV. The Plex TV code is unique for all devices. The code displayed on the Plex TV app on your TV screen is auto-generated by the Plex TV server to link both the Plex TV account and the smart TV.
Once the Plex TV account is linked successfully to your smart TV you will be able to stream the Plex TV content on your smart TV with a bigger screen instead of depending on a smaller screen to stream and watch Plex TV only on your phone or PC.
The Plex TV link to activate the streaming platform is https://plex.tv/link and not https //plex.tv/link. If you typed https //plex.tv/link into the browser or address bar it’ll take you to your default search engine and show different results for the Plex TV link webpage.
However, instead of using https //plex.tv/link you should make it a full website address that browsers understand as https://plex.tv.link.
https://plex.tv/link is the official and secure website to connect your Plex TV to your smart TV. However, if you choose to visit http://plex.tv/link or www.plex.tv/link you will be redirected to the secure site, Plex.tv/link to link the platform with your smart TV using the Plex TV code on the TV screen.
Download Plex to TV
- To download Plex to your Smart TV, simply follow this step.
- From your Smart TV Home Screen, simply visit your Smart TV Apps Store.
- On your Smart TV Apps Store, use the search icon to search for the Plex app.
- Once the app is found, simply click on the app and install it.
- Wait for the app to be installed.
- Once the app has been installed, you can find Plex in your Apps list.
How to Connect Plex to TV
After downloading and installing the Plex Media App, the next thing is to connect Plex to TV. To do this, simply:
- Launch the already installed Plex app.
- Once launched, you would get an activation code. The activation code is a four-digit verification code granted by the Plex server.
- Simply take note of this code and visit plex.tv/link using your mobile device or PC.
- On the website, enter the four-digit code provided and click “Activate”
- Your server would be reviewed. Once reviewed, you would be granted activation and you can enjoy Plex Media content on your Smart TV.
Don’t miss how to fix Plex TV not working on Samsung Smart TV, Roku, LG, and some other smart TVs on Tizen and WebOS.
Plex Pricing Plan
Plex has different tiers that suit the specific budget of its users. Plex provides you with a free account upon signing up. With this free account, you can stream and store your media.
You also have the opportunity to cast your collection on different devices. The free version also supports varieties of media formats.
You can however upgrade to getting a Plex Pass that costs $4.99 monthly. The Plex Pass subscription grants you access to Premium Music and more features such as auto-tagging and a lyrics generator.
With the Plex Pass subscription, you also can stream Live TV and sync your content to watch offline.
Troubleshooting Plex on Smart TV
Here are some troubleshooting tips you can adopt if you have issues with the Plex app on your Samsung Smart TV. These are the most likely issues you might encounter to link Plex to TV.
Plex App Crashing
This issue would most likely occur when you perform a Plex update on your Smart TV. The app keeps crashing every time you try to launch it. At times, software gets corrupted upon update. It could be caused by a bug or glitch during an update.
To solve this, you need to Factory Reset your Smart TV to get the app functional. You can find this under Settings > Reset. Resetting your TV might take a while but should be able to solve the problem.
Plex Server not connecting to Smart TV
You have everything set up. The router was working perfectly, the network is good, the connection is secure, and other apps are working perfectly fine but Plex won’t. This could be a very frustrating case.
You simply need to turn off the Secure connection in your Plex settings. Just go to Settings > Network Settings > Secure Connections > Turn off and that should solve it.
You check our full guide on how to fix Plex not working on Smart TV
What is Plex Supported Media File
Plex Media Server supports a huge array of media files. Here’s the list:
- For Home Videos, TV Shows, and Movies, Plex supports: MP4, MKV, AVI, MOV, DIVX, and more
- For music, Plex supports: MP3, M4A, FLAC, WMA, and more
- For Photos, Plex supports: JPG, PNG, RAW, TBN, and more
What else can Plex help you do?
There are a lot of other things you can do with Plex. Plex allows you to organize and track all your media content. You can optimize media for bandwidth and also protect your content.
Plex TV offers varieties of free, on-demand content from streaming services and from over a hundred pieces of content from Live TV. Plex TV gets even a lot more interesting by subscribing to Plex Pass.
With this subscription, you would be granted more amazing features such as audio enhancements, parental controls, downloading content to stream later offline, implementing DVR to watch and record over the air and also getting prior access to discounts on several things.
Plex TV Link not Working
It could be frustrating if the plex tv link is not working. How? You need the Plex TV link to connect Plex to your TV with the Plex TV code on your TV screen as displayed by the Plex TV app.
However, before you decided to dish the Plex TV for its alternatives below are the troubleshooting tips to consider to fix the Plex TV link not working.
- Install or update to the latest Plex TV server.
- Make sure that the Plex TV server is running.
- Ensure that your device [where the Plex TV is installed] is listed on the official device page.
- Turn off VPN if it’s turned on.
- Disable the Proxy server if you are using one when you are trying to connect to the Plex TV server.
With these in place; the Plex TV link not working should be fixed and the Plex TV Media server should be running fine.
How to Install Plex on Hisense Smart TV
Whether you are using the Hisense Android OS or Roku OS you can use Plex TV on both OSes. However, we will discuss how to install Plex on Hisense smart TV here. All you have to do is to follow the steps we discuss below.
Note: If your Hisense is running on Android OS you must follow the steps to install Plex on Hisense smart TV and if it’s Roku OS, you must follow the steps we discuss on how to install Plex on Hisense smart TV with Roku OS.
Hisense Roku TV
Follow the steps below to learn how to install Plex TV on Hisense smart TV with Roku OS.
- Power on your Hisense smart TV.
- Connect the TV to the internet. You can check how to connect Hisense to the Internet.
- Choose “Streaming Channel” on the left pane.
- Navigate to and click on the “Search Channel” box and search for “Plex TV.”
- Select “Plex TV” from the search result.
- Click on “Add to Channel.”
How to Install Plex TV on Hisense Smart TV on Android OS
To download and install the Plex TV app on your Hisense smart TV running on Android OS seems simple since it’s what you have been doing on your phone if you are using an Android phone.
- Switch on your Hisense smart TV and connect it to a WiFi or Hotspot.
- Go to “Apps” and launch the “Google Playstore.”
- Use the “Search” function to search for the “Plex TV” app.
- Click on the “Install” button to download and install the Plex TV on your Hisense smart TV.
Once you have successfully downloaded and installed the Plex TV either on your Hisense Roku OS or Hisense smart TV Android OS, you need to activate the Plex TV.
How to Link Plex TV to Hisense Smart TV
The Plex TV will be added to your Hisense TV channel successfully and it’ll be ready for activation. However, you need to connect the Plex TV to your Hisense Smart TV for the first time to keep using it henceforth without going through the same process.
- Launch the Plex TV app on your Hisense TV.
- Click on the “Sign In” tab.
- Take note of the 4-character code on the TV screen.
- Go to plex.tv/link on a web browser.
- Sign in with your username and password.
- Type the “Plex TV code” on your TV screen from the Plex TV app.
- Click on the “Sign In” button.
- Once the Plex TV code is validated by https // plex tv link activate, the Plex TV code, https://plex.tv/link, and the instruction page will refresh to complete the whole activation process.
This should be your ultimate guide if you truly love Plex TV.