Do you own a Vizio smart TV and have encountered certain technical glitches? Sometimes the solution might be resetting your TV, so this article will teach how to reset a Vizio smart TV.
Smart TVs in recent times have become common with a lot of new brands coming up. and have also become much more affordable. Brands like Vizio allow you to enjoy the benefits of a smart TV at a meager cost.
However, like other technological devices, this TV encounters various issues from time to time, and you might need to reset the TV to fix the problem.
There are various reasons you might need to reset a Vizio smart TV, some of which are listed below.
- Your TV is lagging and sometimes freezes when the TV is in use.
- The TV power button on either your Remote or TV is not functioning.
- In-built smart TV applications are crashing unexpectedly.
- The smart functions of your TV are not performing as expected.
- You are unable to connect your Vizio smart TV to WiFi.
You can either do a hard reset or a soft reset when resetting your Vizio smart TV. You would learn how to do both and when to use either of the reset methods.
How to Soft Reset a Vizio Smart TV
A soft reset of your Vizio smart TV helps you restart your TV without losing data, clear your TV’s customized settings and dissipate residue charges.
You can do a soft reset on your Vizio smart TV by using a method known as power cycling, which involves you turning off your TV. A detailed approach is shown below.
- Unplug your TV’s power cord from its power source.
- Press down the power button on the TV remote button for about 3 to 5 seconds, then release.
- Plugin your power cord to its source and turn on your TV.
However, for some Vizio smart TV models, you have the option of power recycling in the menu section. If your TV has this option, follow the steps below to do a soft reset.
- Turn on your TV
- Navigate to the Menu using your TV remote.
- Select System from the menu.
- Then select Reset & Admin.
- Now select Soft Power Cycle.
After selecting the soft power cycle, your TV will restart itself and, in the process, do a soft reset.
How to Hard Reset a Vizio Smart TV
A hard reset is a more in-depth solution to solving your Vizio smart TV issues. It restores your TV to its factory setting, in the process deletes all the data you have inputted on the TV your customized settings, and it also resets your TV Firmware.
You should try the soft reset method before attempting the extreme hard reset method, especially if you still want to retain your data.
There are two different approaches to a hard reset on a Vizio smart TV. If you have tried a soft reset without a positive result. Below are the methods that can be used to reset a Vizio smart TV,
This method only requires your Vizio smart TV remote and the steps listed below, and it will only work on newer models of the Vizio smart TV. Doing a hard reset on older models of the Vizio smart TV will be discussed later.
- Turn on your Vizo Smart TV.
- Disconnect your WiFi from your TV.
- Navigate to the Menu section
- Scroll the System and click on it.
- Move to Reset & Admin and press OK.
- Select Restore TV to factory state.
- Input your parental lock code (the default parental lock code for most Vizio smart TVs is 0000).
- Select Reset.
- The TV will shut down and reboot.
- The previous settings of your TV will be deleted during this process, and a new setup will show on your screen.
- Connect your Vizio smart TV to a WiFi network and follow the prompts displayed on your screen to set up your TV.
This method can be used on all models of the Vizio smart TV, so if the previous method did not work, or your model is an older TV, you can try this method to do a hard reset on your Vizio smart TV.
- Switch off your Vizio TV but still plug it into its power source.
- Hold down the CH+ and CH- buttons on your TV remote.
- Press and hold down the power button on your remote for about 5 seconds, then release it.
- Release the CH+ and CH- buttons.
- Navigate to the Menu button using your Vizio smart TV remote.
- Your TV screen will then boot, and its menu will be displayed on the screen.
- You will see an F icon located at the bottom-right corner of your screen
- Hold the menu button down for approximately 3-5 seconds till your TV displays the menu settings.
- Then navigate to the factory reset option.
Suppose you have implemented both the soft and hard reset options, and you are still encountering difficulties. In that case, it is recommended that you contact Vizio technical support for professional help.
Read this article, if you want to update your Vizio smart TV firmware.