Do you need to learn how to connect Roku to WiFi without a remote? If yes, then you need to focus on this guide regarding how you can connect your Roku to your WiFi at home or at work without having access to your Roku remote control.
While this may appear impossible but there is a walkaround to connect your Roku and WiFi together without using your remote.
Just grab popcorn and see how we stylishly connect our Roku to our WiFi or hotspot without a remote.
Roku is one of the most popular streaming devices available to suit your entertainment needs with a wide array of content. However, before you can enjoy the content your Roku offers, you’d need to connect it to a WiFi network to get an internet connection.
Recommended: How to Turn on your Roku with a Remote
The usual method when connecting your Roku to WiFi is to use the Roku remote [we won’t focus on that in this article], but the rest of this article will explore how you can connect Roku to wifi without a remote.
How to Connect Roku to wifi Without a Remote
Almost every model of the Roku device needs to be connected to a wifi network to access the internet.
If you do not have access to a functional remote that you can use to connect your Roku to the wifi network of your choice, there are other methods you can still use, and we will be looking at these methods in this section of the article.
Connect Roku to wifi using the Roku App
This is one of the best alternative methods you can use to connect your Roku to wifi, as you only need to download the Roku app on your smartphone from the Apple app store or the Google play store.
Once you have the app installed on your phone, you can use it to connect your Roku to wifi by following the instructions below.
- Ensure that your smartphone is connected to the same wifi network that your Roku was previously connected to.
- Then launch the Roku app on your mobile phone and click devices at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Then click on your Roku device once it appears on the screen.
- At this point, your Roku will be connected to your smartphone, and you can then click on the remote option to use your smartphone as a virtual remote.
- Then click settings on the left side of your Roku home screen and select network.
- Then click on set up connection and select wireless to allow your Roku to search for the new wifi network.
- Then click on the wifi network from the list of available networks, and enter your password if prompted to complete the connection.
If you have followed the instructions given above, you have been able to successfully connect your Roku player to wifi without using the remote.
You can also check out How to Connect Bluetooth Speaker to Roku TV.
How to Connect Roku to WiFi without a Remote using a Browser
Suppose you prefer not to use the Roku mobile app and use a chrome or Microsoft Edge browser. In that case, you can download the Roku browser extension on either of the browsers and use it to connect your Roku to wifi without using a remote by following the instructions below.
- Confirm that your computer and Roku player are connected to the same wifi network and open your chrome or edge browser.
- Then click on the Roku browser extension icon on your browser toolbar at the top of the screen to bring up the virtual remote to your screen.
- Then use the virtual remote to click on settings on the left-hand side of your Roku screen and select network.
- Then click on set up the connection and choose wireless so that your Roku can search for available wifi networks.
- Then select the wifi network of your choice, and if necessary, input its password.
Once you have followed the instructions given above, it implies that you have been able to successfully use the Roku browser extension to connect your Roku to wifi without using a physical remote.
How to Connect Roku to WiFi using an Ethernet Cable
If you use a Roku player with an ethernet port, like some models of the Roku TV and the Roku ultimate family of devices, you can use the ethernet port together with the Roku mobile app on your smartphone to connect your Roku to wifi.
You can achieve this by following the instructions below.
- Use the ethernet cable to connect your Roku player to the router, and wirelessly connect your smartphone to the same router, ensuring tha your Roku player and smartphone are using the same network.
- Then open the Roku app and select devices at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Then click on the remote button on the app once both devices have connected.
- Then using the virtual remote to control your Roku player, you should click on the settings option at the left side of your Roku screen and select network.
- Then click on set up connection and select wired.
- Then select your network from the available list, input the password if prompted, and click connect to complete the process.
Once your Roku player is connected to the new wifi network, you can disconnect the ethernet cable from it and start streaming on your Roku using the new internet connection.
You can use any of the methods listed in this article’s section to connect Roku to wifi without a remote.
How to Reset Roku Without Remote
If you are having issues with your Roku player, maybe it is not connecting to a wifi network or just not functioning as expected, performing a factory reset is usually the best approach to resolving the issue.
While a factory reset on your Roku player is usually done with the remote, if you are in a situation where you do not have a functioning remote, there are still methods you can use to reset your Roku player, and we will explore them in this section of the article.
You can reset your Roku player using the physical reset button by following the basic steps below.
- Locate the reset button on your Roku player and press it for approximately 10 seconds.
- Then the indicator light on your Roku would start blinking, signifying that the Roku is currently undergoing a reset.
Once the indicator light stops blinking, it implies that you have successfully reset your Roku. You can now use it to ensure that the reset has resolved the issue and your Roku player is now performing as expected.
If you have the Roku mobile app on your smartphone, you can use it as a virtual remote to reset your Roku by following the instructions below.
- Launch the mobile app and click on the remote button to use the virtual remote.
- Then connect it to your Roku player, go to the advanced settings menu, and click on the factory reset option.
Suppose you have followed the instruction given above. In that case, your Roku player will automatically reset itself, and you can attempt to stream or perform other functions to confirm that the Roku device is now working optimally.
This article has explored the various methods you can use to connect Roku to Wifi without using a remote. We also looked at how you can perform a factory reset on your Roku when the remote is unavailable or functioning.