On average, 2/3 of internet users have at least one Gmail account and more have multiple Gmail account.
In my own, I have roughly six Gmail account that I operate for different business purpose.
However, back in the days, I had a favourite Gmail account which is my favourite account. But, the Gmail username isn’t what I wanted.
Now, a move to either change the Gmail account username or delete the account and create a new account to replace the old.
And since there is no way to change a Gmail username it’s better to create a new one. And for this, I choose to delete the old one and create a new one.
So, in this guide, I am going to share with how to delete a Gmail account you no longer want to keep.
How to Deactivate Gmail Account
Google gives the privilege to deactivate your Gmail account instead of deleting it. And since closing or deactivating your Gmail account isn’t the same as when you delete your Gmail account, then, it worth to consider deactivation over deletion as you may need to access the Gmail account for important message or document if you have used the account for documentations or important reason in the past.
- Sign in to your Gmail account on a web browser.
- Click on the gear settings icon on your account homepage.
- Tap on mail settings >> Account >> Import.
- Tap on “Change account settings >> other Google account settings.”
- Click “Edit” on “Find my products.”
- To deactivate your Gmail tap on “Remove Gmail permanently.”
Don’t Miss: How to Delete Facebook Account
How to Delete a Gmail Account
Here I have all the steps I followed to deleted unwanted Gmail account I created years ago.
- Log in to the Gmail account you want to delete. On basic HTML click on “Google Account.” On standard view click on “Google Products” icons to the top right and tap on “Account.”
- Click on “Date & personalization” on the left side of the screen and tap on “Delete a service or your account.”
- Click on “Delete your Google account” to permanently delete your Gmail account and all associated products.
- You will be redirected to the Google Gmail login page. Enter your Google account and click on the “Next” button.
- You will have an option to download all important data before you proceed with the delete option. This is optional though. Download and save a copy because once deleted it cannot be restored after a particular time.
- Tap on the “Trash or delete” icon next to the “Google Gmail icon.”
- You need to provide an alternative email address. However, at this pint, you cannot use a Gmail account. I will recommend you use Yahoo! Mail, Microsoft Hotmail, etc.
- A verification link will be sent to the alternate email address. Log in to the alternate email address and click on the verification link.
- If prompted to log in again, enter your login password and click on the “Next” button.
- Select Yes, I want to delete (your Gmail)@gmail.com.”
- Now, click on “Delete Gmail” and tap “Done” next.
Now, you will be redirected to Google Gmail account selection page. It’s possible to have the deleted Gmail account on the selection screen. But, you can no longer log in to the Gmail henceforth.