Without any doubt, LG is one of the most reliable companies that produce durable and affordable electronics, gadgets, and appliances. The company has been in existence for over 50 years, you can imagine the expertise and experiences gathered so far. However, being a quality brand doesn’t make their products to be immune to basic faults that occur sometimes.
An LG is also vulnerable like every other appliance made by other famous companies especially when you use it too often. Here in this article, we will be providing the common LG Refrigerator problems that most users encounter at one time or the other and the easy fixes that can solve the issues quickly.
Once you can identify the general fault that you can encounter with your LG refrigerator, then the next thing is to find solutions to permanently solve the issue for you. Even though LG fridges are great products, you need to get yourself acquainted with a few commonly found issues in case your fridge begin to act up.
Always consult your LG Refrigerator manual first irrespective of the model you have. This post will also help you to take of the causes of these problems and how to solve the problem without having to consult a professional.
One of the most common LG Refrigerator problems is the Temperature issue. To solve this you can go ahead to check the settings and change if it’s too low or high. Also, check the condenser coils for dust and debris and clean them with a vacuum. Read on to troubleshoot these LG Refrigerator problems.
Common LG Refrigerator Problems
An LG Refrigerator has different components such as a compressor, condenser motor, start relay, evaporator fan motor, and so on that need to work in conformity with your fridge to cool down and stay cool for a long time once there’s a steady power supply. However, if any of these components develop a fault or stop working, it can make the LG fridge stop working altogether.
The following are the common problems associated with most LG Refrigerators. In case you just got an LG Refrigerator irrespective of the model and you want to know the common issues long-time users have encountered and the possible fixes, here’s it below, read through:
LG fridge running but not cooling
This is the most common problem most LG Fridge users encounter, the refrigerator is running but it’s not cooling. The most likely reason why this is happening is that the compressor may be broken. Which implies that it isn’t pumping refrigerant to cool down the fridge. Although, most LG compressors have up to a 10-year warranty.
LG fridge running but not cooling can also be caused by faulty evaporator coils. The coils can be covered with ice over time which prevents them from working efficiently. Once these evaporator coils are covered in ice, then the ice will need to be defrosted first to fix the issue.
LG refrigerator compressor is bad
The LG Refrigerator compressor is located on the back panel at the bottom part of the refrigerator. To check if the compressor is bad, disconnect the box and shake it to check if it rattles. Once it’s making a rattling sound, then it means the compressor is faulty. You can as well make use of a multimeter to check it for continuity. LG refrigerator compressor issues are common with LG French-doors models.
LG Refrigerator Ice Maker Problems
When you ice from your refrigerator, then it shows your unit is working optimally. This is why ice makers are designed to be an important component of any refrigerator. Ice makers have a great impact on the functionality of the unit, which is why it’s so essential to have one that works well. Unfortunately, the ice maker problems are common throughout all the brands.
LG refrigerator linear compressor is not working
Technology gets improved every day so also do our new appliances which are designed to come out quieter, more efficient, and very easy to repair. One component LG is constantly working on improving is the linear compressor, which can now be found on selected models. It works only when the unit needs it and it’s energy efficient as well as quieter than the conventional compressors.
Unfortunately, most LG users complain about having problems with their compressors. The most common cause is a defective seal, which can stop the compressor from running effectively.
Therefore, if your fridge is running but not cooling, then there may be a problem with your compressor. If this is the case, you might need the service of a licensed technician to repair it.
LG refrigerator leaking water
LG Refrigerator leaking water is a bad sign, especially when it is coming out of your fridge even while running. Unfortunately, it’s one of the most common issues most users encounter with any fridge. Water leaks occur most times when the door is closed. Interestingly, you can fix a leaky fridge in most cases, follow the troubleshooting steps in the next section of this article.
LG Refrigerator Temperature Issues
For any LG refrigerator to function effectively, the standard temperature needs to reach -4°F (-20°C). In case you are just installing the fridge newly, it will require up to about 24 hours to reach the usual temperature. Once the freezer section temperature is set higher than 19°F, it may cause the refrigerator to malfunction. Therefore, check and adjust the temperature to the standard point.
LG Refrigerator Noise Problem
The Refrigerator is one of the important components any kitchen should have. It helps to keep your food and vegetables fresh. However, if some components of the fridge malfunction, then it can be frustrating and tiring. To solve the LG Refrigerator noise problem, scroll down to the end.
Faulty Condenser fan motor
The condenser fan motor being faulty is another major LG refrigerator problem. The condenser fan helps to circulate air across the condenser coils which cools the air.
Once you notice that there’s decreased airflow or no airflow at all, then it’s possible that the blades are obstructed or the fan motor is faulty.
Defective Evaporator fan motor
The evaporator fan is designed to circulate air across the cooling coils and into the freezer and entire unit. Once the air is not getting in adequately, always check that the fan is spinning freely and does not build up debris in the process.
In addition, check the motor and internal windings with the aid of a multimeter for continuity. If there is an issue with the windings or motor, then you need to replace the faulty part as soon as possible.
Faulty Start Relay
The start relay works hand in hand with the compressor of your refrigerator. Once, the relay stops working accurately it will also affect the productivity of the compressor.
To know the cause root of the problem with your start relay, try to access it from the bottom section of the unit by opening the back panel. Then, test for continuity of the relay with the aid of a multimeter and replace it immediately once there is no continuity.
What are the Signs of an LG Refrigerator compressor going bad?
Here are the signs and symptoms to look out for once your compressor begins to malfunction and won’t work properly:
- The refrigerator is always running.
- Energy Bill keeps rising than usual.
- The fridge doesn’t stay cold for long.
- Loud noise is emanating from it than usual.
- The circuit breaker trips.
- There’s a burning smell coming out from the Refrigerator.
Once you see any of these signs, just know that the compressor is going bad or it’s totally bad already.
What is the average lifespan of an LG Refrigerator?
According to the National Association of Home Builders, the average lifespan of an LG Refrigerator is approximately 13 years. However, LG allegedly claims that its refrigerators should have about a 20-year lifespan.
Well, on average, we can conclude that your LG Refrigerator can last up to 15 good years all things being equal.
Is it worth fixing an LG Refrigerator?
Well, if the cost of repairing your refrigerator is less than half the price of buying a new one, then it’s worth making those repairs. You can go ahead to fix your malfunctioning LG Refrigerator.
Is it worth Replacing the Compressor on LG Refrigerator?
To repair or replace the LG refrigerator compressor is quite costly, therefore, it’s recommended you get a brand new one once the old one breaks. Most times, the compressor cost as much as half of the price you purchased a new refrigerator.
How do I run Diagnostics on my LG Refrigerator?
Running smart diagnosis on your LG Refrigerator is an application that provides users of LG products who have smartphones. This smart diagnosis is a unique feature of LG and can be used only for models that are compatible with the diagnostic functions of the refrigerator. Follow the steps below:
- Lock the control panel by pressing the lock button for about 3 seconds.
- Open the right side of the refrigerator door once it’s been locked.
- Find the smart diagnosis label usually located at the top-right hinge of the unit.
- Clasp the mouthpiece of your smartphone in front of the speaker, once instructed to do so by the call center.
- Long-press on the Freezer button for about 3 seconds while still holding your smartphone to the speaker.
- Then you will hear a “beep” sound and the control panel will begin a countdown for 3 seconds.
- Keep the smartphone in place till the tone transmission is completed.
- You will see “END” displayed on the control panel once it has been completed.
- Continue your chat with the specialist to assist you further.
That’s it about running a diagnosis on your LG Refrigerator. This will enable you to identify the specific LG Refrigerator problems you are facing.
How to fix LG Refrigerator Problems
Once you find yourself encountering one or more of the aforementioned common LG Refrigerator problems, then you can go ahead to try the steps below to fix them:
Fix LG Refrigerator not cooling
To fix the LG refrigerator that is not cooling, follow the steps below:
- Pull the unit a bit away from the wall to disconnect it.
- Consult the owner’s manual for any “off” or “zero” settings in your fridge and freezer and set them to either off or zero.
- Connect the unit back in and regulate the temperature controls of both the freezer and fridge to your desired setting.
- Wait for about 24 hours to allow your fridge to cool so the temperature can be set.
- Once the installation of a new motor has been completed, you can begin the cooling process.
That’s it about how to fix LG Refrigerator not cooling if it’s one of the LG Refrigerator problems that you are facing.
Fix LG refrigerator not getting cold
If your Fridge won’t get cold despite adjusting the temperature to standard, then you can try the steps below:
- Unplug the unit or trip the circuit breaker for about 30 seconds to Reset the Refrigerator.
- You will hear a sound from the compressor as it kicks back on and the unit will stabilize and begin cooling within 24 hours.
- If it doesn’t, then there is a problem with the power supply and the unit will need the assistance of repair service.
That’s it about how to fix LG Refrigerator not getting cold if this is one of the LG Refrigerator problems that you are facing.
Fix LG Noise Problem
The LG noise problem is mainly caused by the evaporator fan and the condenser fan, once you start hearing strange noises from your Fridge, then you need to check these two parts as they may be faulty or something is hindering their functionality. Follow the steps below:
- Check the evaporator fan as it may be blocked.
- Manually rotate the fan blade to fix it.
- Blockages in the fan can cause a noise problem or low airflow.
- Blockages limit the evaporator fan blade from rotating properly as it should.
- Ensure to remove all blockages in the fan blade.
- Once the motor is damaged, then it makes a lot of noise.
That’s it about how to fix the LG noise problem if this is one of the LG Refrigerator problems that you are facing. You might need to check the condenser fan too as it’s one of the parts that cause loud noise once it’s faulty:
- Go ahead to also check the Condenser fan.
- Turn off the unit and unplug it before you begin any troubleshooting step.
- If you can, detach the rear access panel (some may need you to remove the whole back of the fridge).
- Check the condenser motor for anything that can be blocking its path.
- You can as well check the fan blade to ensure that all parts are running freely and effectively.
- You can also use the multimeter to check for continuity.
- In case the problem is related to the motor windings, then you might have to contact a professional for motor replacement.
That’s it about how to fix the LG noise problem if this is one of the LG Refrigerator problems that you are facing.
Fix LG refrigerator leaking water problem
LG refrigerator leaking water problem is usually caused by a blocked drain line or a defective tank assembly, therefore to fix this, you need to check these parts by following the steps below:
- When you have a frozen or clogged drain line and water overflows from your refrigerator, it could damage the cabinetry below the fridge and make it leak onto your floor.
- To prevent this from occurring, check if your refrigerator drain is frozen or clogged.
- Once it’s frozen, then, you need to melt the ice or clear out debris with hot water if the drain line is clogged.
This is one way to fix the LG refrigerator leaking water problem if this is one of the LG Refrigerator problems that you are facing.
- In case you have a faulty tank assembly, then you need to check the tank connections from time to time.
- Once you notice any leaks, ensure to replace them, or you will have an overflow in your kitchen from the water leak onto your flooring.
- Ensure to also check the water inlet valve and the housing cracks if there are any visible.
This should help fix the LG refrigerator leaking water problem if this is one of the LG Refrigerator problems that you are facing.
Here are the most common LG Referigartor problems and how to fix them. One of these fixes should work for you, however, if it doesn’t you might need to reset LG Refrigerator. The steps on how to go about that have been stated below.
How to reset an LG Refrigerator
LG products are always smart and sleek and designed for the practical home. Even though they are quality and long-lasting products, they also sometimes need help to fix major glitches, like manually resetting the control panel on your LG refrigerator. To reset an LG refrigerator easily, follow the simple steps below:
- Open the doors of the appliance.
- Long-press on the refrigerator and ice plus buttons concurrently for about 5 seconds.
- Your panel should start blinking after 5 seconds to indicate that your fridge has been reset.
- Once it blinks, the display will change from the present temperature settings to a set of numbers accompanied by a confirmation that your refrigerator has been successfully reset.
You have successfully reset LG Refrigerator without any hassle.
How to Reset LG Refrigerator Control Panel
Even though there is no reset button on LG refrigerators, you still have to do it manually. Check out the following steps below to reset the control panel of an LG refrigerator, which is similar to the normal reset:
- Open the doors of the refrigerator first.
- Long-press on the Refrigerator and Ice Plus buttons for about 5 seconds.
- The control panel will blink continuously after 5 seconds.
- Then it will display the temperature settings and affirm that your fridge has been successfully reset.
Resetting the control panel of your Fridge should solve most LG Refrigerator’s problems if not all.
That’s it! All the LG Refrigerator problems that you might have encountered during the usage of your unit should have been fixed now if you followed this guide step by step. Feel free to drop your comment in the section below and let’s know how this post solved your issue.