If your Xbox won’t turn on and you are searching for the right place to have this issue solved you are at the right place as we consider the troubleshooting tips to fix an Xbox that won’t turn on provided it’s not caused by physical damage and electrical fault.
Meanwhile, if your Xbox is not turning on it could be a faulty power supply, surge in the power supply, or if the Xbox is connected to the power improperly.
Quick Tip: If you are trying to turn on your Xbox gaming console but won’t power on, ensure you have a stable power supply and the power cable is firmly connected to a power wall outlet
In this article, I would be discussing with you various troubleshooting steps that you need to follow if your Xbox won’t turn on.
Why Won’t My Xbox Turn On
Before we proceed with providing you with solutions to why your Xbox won’t turn on. I will discuss below a few reasons why your Xbox may fail to turn on.
- Power surge.
- A faulty power supply unit.
- Faulty power cable.
- Faulty power wall outlet.
- Clogged gaming console.
Xbox Won’t Turn On
Fixing your Xbox power supply can be challenging, particularly if the issue is with the power component. You can have your Xbox console back in working order by following the troubleshooting steps that are listed below.
Check power outlet
Check the circuit breaker and power wall outlet that provides electric current to your Xbox gaming console. A tripped circuit breaker won’t allow current to flow through to the power outlet. If the power wall outlet is faulty ensure you have it fixed or change the power outlet.
Check Power Cable
If the power cable is improperly connected to the power wall outlet and Xbox console then your Xbox won’t turn on. Ensure you always connect your Xbox console with an original power cable. Ensure you replace a faulty or damaged power cable and always use a power cord that is not designed for your power supply and can damage the power supply and your Xbox Console.
The Xbox Power cord comes with a DC power cord and AC power cable. The AC power cord connects to a wall socket while the DC power cord plugs directly into the console.
Check Power Supply Unit
The Xbox power supply unit has an electrical fuse that protects your Xbox console from excessive voltage and power surges. The protective fuse can’t be changed, the power supply unit has to be replaced.
Recommended: How to Connect Alexa to your Xbox
If the Led light remains off or flashing light after you have performed a power reset on your Xbox. You should consider replacing the power supply unit.
Clean and Ventilate Your Xbox Console
Cleaning your Xbox console prevents dirt from accumulating in the console. Ensure your Xbox console is properly ventilated so that nothing is blocking the flow of air.
Follow the tips below to ensure your Xbox console is well ventilated:
- Ensure you don’t block the power supply vent.
- Make sure you don’t leave the power supply near a source of heat.
- Ensure you do not place electronic devices on top of the power supply unit.
- Plug your Xbox power supply directly into a power wall outlet, as the power strip or surge protector may have been overloaded.
Follow the procedures below to properly clean your Xbox console:
- Power off and disconnect your Xbox console from the power supply
- Wipe clean your Xbox console using a soft lint-free or microfiber cloth mixed with mild soap and water.
- You can also clean your Xbox console with a soft cloth mixed with an isopropyl alcohol solution of 70% or less.
- Ensure you do not apply liquids directly to your Xbox console or controllers and do not use disinfectant wipes to lean.
Restart Your Xbox Console
Xbox won’t turn on can be a temporary issue and restarting your Xbox gaming console can easily fix that. To restart your Xbox console :
- Press and hold the Xbox button to turn off your Xbox console.
- Wait for at least 10 seconds.
- Press the Xbox button to turn on the console.
- Your Xbox console should return to the home screen after the console restarts.
Recommended: How to Clear Modern Warfare Game Cache on Xbox One
Power Reset Your Xbox Console
Power resetting your Xbox console helps to fix a lot of issues including issues of your Xbox one won’t turn on. If there is a power surge you can reset your Xbox console. You can follow these steps to power reset your Xbox console:
- Unplug the power cables from the console, electrical outlet in the wall, and power supply.
- Wait for 30 seconds. Allow the power supply to reset, and ensure you unplug the power supply unit from the electrical outlet in the wall and your Xbox One console.
- Firmly plug back the power cable back into both the electrical outlet and the power supply. Make sure you do not plug the power unit into the console just yet.
- Now check the LED light on the power supply.
- If the Led Light is ON
- Firmly plug back the power cable into the Xbox One console. Make sure you don’t turn on the console.
- Again check if the LED light on the power supply unit is still turned ON.
- If the LED is still showing on the power supply unit, now press the Xbox button on the front of the Xbox One console.
- If your Xbox console powers on, then the internal power reset has helped fix this issue. You can repeat this process when this issue occurs again.
Reset your Xbox Console
After you power reset the power cable your Xbox console and the led light appear on the power cable. You can continue with this step to reset the Xbox console
- Press and hold the Pair button and the Eject button on the console
- Press the Xbox button on the console.
- Continue to hold the pair and eject buttons for about 10-15 seconds.
- You should hear two power-up sound a couple of seconds apart after the first sound. Then release the pair and eject buttons after the second power-up sound.
- The console should now power up and take you to the Xbox Startup troubleshooting menu.
Xbox Won’t Turn On After Update
If your Xbox won’t turn on after an update then the update was not successful. When you are updating your Xbox console make sure the update is completed before you turn off the console.
If you turn on your Xbox console and you see a black screen, power cycle your console to reset the network card and clear the cache.
- Press down the Xbox button and hold for at least 10 seconds.
- The console will shut down, now unplug the power cord and wait at least 30 seconds.
- Remove items including storage expansion cards, UBD HDDs, battery charging stations, etc.
- Then plug back the console
- Turn back on by pressing the Xbox button.
Xbox One Not Turning On Power Brick Orange
If the led light in the power supply unit is flashing orange light, your Xbox is not receiving the power supply. The power supply should be reset and if the unit is faulty, it should be replaced.
Recommended: How to Clear Xbox Cache
Follow these steps to power reset your Xbox one console:
- Unplug the power cables from the console, power supply, and electrical wall outlet.
- Wait 10 seconds for the power supply to reset.
- Plug back the power cable into a power supply outlet. Make sure the power unit is not yet plugged into the console.
- Now check the light that shows on the power supply
If the orange light is turned on, follow these steps:
- Plug back the power cable, into your Xbox console. Ensure you do not turn the console on yet.
- Now press the Xbox button
- If the orange light is still on, press the Xbox button in front of the console.
- Wait to see if the console powers up.
In conclusion, we have been able to provide solutions to the issue of my Xbox won’t turn on. And by now, you should be able to restore and bring your Xbox gaming console to its working state.